What's new

3K square foot veggie garden?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok I guess it's more like 2700 square feet, but I know it's too big either way! Lol, I'm trying not to earn my title here.

So uh, I had a new fence put in, 7' all around to keep deer out. Stained it both sides and put in a new gate. Gonna cut out a section and pin it so I can have a dumptruck deliver compost/dressing easier.

Rototilled the whole lot 2 weeks ago, worked great and pulverized the soil into a fine soft layer. I have kinda weird soil, lots of clay AND sand, but little loam. The mix should be ok though, as the sand will fix the drainage and the clay has plenty of nutes in it. I tilled in a big compost heap too, and had the ground covered with black plastic for a month to sterilize it before tilling.

Just started putting in rows, by hand! These are about 35' long each, I have 8 done so far but I need to do some grading to fill in some low spots. Gonna put a grass walkway all the way around it too.

Got the irrigation setup started, just gonna do a simple flood system a few times a week, way old school. I'm on a well and the owner is excited to see this running, it was an unused yard before I moved in.

If anyone recognizes the house please PM me so I can pull the thread! :)

I'm gonna put in a couple rows of string lines for beans, tomatos etc. Last night we planted a couple each of honeydew, cucumbers, zuchini and yellow squash, I already have an herb garden in one part of the yard with mature rosemary, sage, thyme and chives, plus parsley, basil and dill.

Whew its a lot of work. I keep looking at those rows going "man, what I wouldn't give for a row of AK-47, a row of SD, a row of Sage and Sour", etc.... but I know it'll never happen...

Ipsissimus

Good work! Nice scale. How's it look now?

Make sure your plants have enough time to mature before it gets cold (I'm thinking most squash types need > 100 days).

og kush

is that my backyard?!?!
nope..... sure does look like it though. exactly. i been to lazy to get out there and till it up......

Latest posts

Latest posts