What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What strain for a guerilla grow in a cornfield?

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
this post is a copy/paste from another forum where i asked about it regarding the GG ) Guerilla Gold) that is an autoflowiring, fast growing and flowering strain, but what other strains could do the job ?

Ive already made some plans to have a guerilla grow next year in a cornfield nearby, but which GG strain to use?

It must offcourse finish before the Corn is harvested and grow fast and tall to be able to compete with the corn for space and sunlight.

Which GG strain would u recommend and when will u have the beans ready ?

I think i need to grow them indoor this winter in order to multiply the seeds for the grow in the corn next summer.

I dont have much space indoor atm so im plan to go for 12/12 directly from seeds.
Have u ever tried this with any of the GG's?

PS
If all the strains are able to keep up with the corn then i would prefer the stran with the most "sativa" high

when is the corn harvested?

I did a fast Google on that.
In Denmark they say before the end of October, but it varies from strain to strain.
Most Corn grown in my area is by farmer to use as food for pigs and cows.

The sumemr before last one, i bought s mini crossbike for me and my kid and we went in the fields to have a good time and pick a few corns for the rabbits and my kid loved running in the "jungle".

Cant remember the date but it was sometime late in the summer.

The plants were around 2,5 meter at that time.
Think they can go almost 3 meters here just before harvest.

Found a site more to danish garden farmers, it says to plant the corn in late Mai depending on the weather and it has to be free of frost ( like cannabis)

So i think we're talking about planting the cannabis out same time as the corn and using a strain that finishes late August or September with an harvest height of 1,5 - 2 meters.
If going to be out there for longer it would need a sativa height to compete with the corn, but most sativas here arent finished before the corn.

This is where a fast growing and flowering strain is the GG comes in handy.

Im just not so much into the difrences between the strains of GG to tell which one would be best for the task?

Any ideas on what strain i should use if not the Guerilla Gold ?

Mr. Smoke

Most any strain will do good in corn feilds. You just need strains that finish by end of Sept just incase the farmer decides to chop early.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i really wouldn't plant in a cornfield. why not?
- people spray all kinds of chemicals and cannabis tends to suck it from the soil...that'll be a healthy toke...
- corn grows really tall so they WILL compete for light...but if you make some room it could work.
- in some countries people tend their corn. they don't get much rainfall so they come every other day and cut down anything that's not corn and is sucking the water out of the dirt. plus dry dirt on top seams to keep moisture loss down. (dirt mulch?)
- in autumn what is the colour of corn? imho in autumn sweet Mary Jane stands out in a field of corn like a green neon light..

Mr. Smoke

Corn around here isn't sprayed for weeds after the corn has 6 leaves about 9 inches tall/mid june. I don't think the plants leach much out of the soil or the cows would be dead from the corn they eat crap loads of. around here knowone tends there corn. Also corn around here dont start turning yellowing till end of Sept.

I've been using them for last 4 years never had harsh bud.

Last edited:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i watch a medical mj show where they mentioned cannabis's habit of sucking everything from the soil. at some time they mentioned human transmissible pathogens...that seemed unlikely but still made me consider using clean soil.
the herbicides and pesticides you're referring to will kill anything but corn. corn seams to avoid it...

i'd also consider cornfields, don't get me wrong but people here really tend their corn. almost everyone has a field at least the size of a football field so they can tend to it every few days and have no problems. the problem is that they go through it completely...they tend to every plant...and they cut everything that's not corn...that's why i can't use the corn fields.

r2_

Come on, there have got to be some better places for you to grow than corn fields. Try looking up paper logging places, they have acres upon acres of forests with big patches of cut forest.

Mr. Smoke

Yea im with elkslayer, my best plants have been grown in the corn. Almost full sun and some nice loose soil. Planting 20 plants takes only like 30 mins. I don't know any farmers around here who spray with airplanes. I usually only get ripped off for 1 out of 4 corn plots.

I seem to get ripped off more in the bush, because the deer hunters are all out Oct 1st. And putting up the deer stands in like august. :badday:

Last edited:

Guest423

Veteran
elkslayer said:
If fly-overs aren't much a concern, growing in corn is very hard to beat. In 19 guerilla seasons, my personal best was still in corn. Full exposure, great medium, and unlimited root space, with very little effort is a hard thing too beat. The only problem I ever incurred was an early Sept corn Harvest during a very wet fall.

ES

growing in corn is very hard to beat....my best outdoor grow was also in corn...u can't beat the sunlight exposure, the medium is basically already fertilized for you, and nothing is in the way of your roots...you nailed it.

around here almost all the corn is harvested between mid oct and mid nov...latest i can grow outdoors is around mid oct durning a perfect season.

coming and going is simple...u leave no trails....even from the air u leave no signs...in the midwest there is plenty of hemp and ditchweed that grows in and around corn fields so any feds doing flyovers wouldn't even notice as long as it's not super obvious.

another thing is it helps block pollen from hemp and ditchweed if it's heavy in your area....i grow in the middle of cornfields where there are openings or where fields meet....i put pure clones out and only got a few beans per plant which is awesome for my area since pollen is everywhere....the corn must help shield my plants and block out pollen since 100's rows of corn is like a shield.

my biggest and hardest buds ever came from the cornfields. if you can find the perfect opening in a field and have a stream near by your about as golden as u can get.

Last edited:

xu2x

Mix it up...some in corn and other places....such as stone fence rows or whatever around farms. Personally, I wouldn't go near corn fields only because of fly-overs. If there's a corn field...I gaurentee they fly over and look down. Just my 2 cents.

Nept

i wouldnt grow in the corn. They put some funky shit on corn that is grown to be fed to livestock

is GG surely an autoflowering strain? I've heard that is and also that it isn't. I have some pollen and if it's 100% autoflowering I will hopefully cross it with a mazar x lowryder. Does anyone know?

t2U and elkslayer are 100% right on. Knee high by july!! I've heard that more than a coulple times!!!

FWIW I used to know a guy who ran huge huge quantity.. in corn fields.. then sold it in NYC as delivery service stuff. The quality can be "that" good.

To clarify.. your not growing pot in your neighbors corn garden.. your planting in huge huge fields that thousands millions of corn plants in them.. The farmer would never ever go out and look at each individual corn plant because he doesn't have time nor care. The corn to use is feed corn for animals.. so its left longer and nobody goes through the field.

I'm sure everyone has there own Way of doing it but I was always told.. pull out 2 to 1 pull 2 corn plants.. put in one pot . 15-20 pot plants in one row. Any less and its not worth your time/chances or getting caught.. anymore and its possible to be found. One plot per field. Any 7-9 week strain will work.. especially your dutch varietes that were popular in the 90s.. widows,skunks,nlx they will all finish fine.. just do a selection the year before and test their finish times.. The earlier the better.

Flyovers are a joke.. who's flying over?? private planes?? DEA helicopters?? have you ever been in a plane?? there's no way unless you were specifically told yeah there's pot in that field and this is where.. would you ever ever be able to see it.

Trust me.. try growing in corn fields.. you'll find that unless you count the rows real real well.. and write it down.. YOU won't even be able to find the weed YOU planted.

In upstate ny there are rednecks everywhere running around with NLxearly pearlx skunk crosses that have been around for years and years. its hardy, finishes early and get rock hard buds.. put out in beginning of july in ny gives you 1/4lb average all day long.

but fkuc upstate ny.. I've never tried it in MD but the corn there grows taller and lusher than a rain forest. by begining of june the corn is above your waist (no shit)

You guys in the midwest.. definetly has the advantage of land(more of it) but that's go to suck having to deal with stray pollen.. of all the things to worry about now another ugh.

another tip,, if you don't know muc about farming heres what to look for..

corn fields that belong or are near cattle farms.. as long as the farm doesn't seel produce your usually going to be alright.

Wait for the farmer/s to use a machine that is wide (about 20 feet) but only 5 feet/8 feet tall. They pull it behind with a tractor and it has wheels that fit in between the rows of corn. This is called a Highboy. The highboy is what the farmer uses for pesticide herbicide.. so wait a week/s after you see the highboy being used and you will be good to go. Like was said.. they don't go back to spray after the first5-6 sets of leaves are on them..

And don't worry about the corn shadingthe pot. The corn has been planted to give each corn plant perfect lighting.. so with 2 pulled per 1 pot being planted.. your pot will have more than enough light to grow fine.

Anyone else pull 2-1 ? what's everyone else's best experiences

Lucky 7

I, too have had a few successful corn grows. the biggest problem I encounter is with the devilish corn borer I think most spray for these lil bastards, but their unholy march is hard to stop. . . . :bashhead:

they first appear as harmless little yellow moths/butterflies. they deposit their hellish eggs on the leaves of corn/MJ/anything in the area. the eggs hatch as worms! :puppydoge

the tiny worms bore into the stalks (late July/August) & new buds. they probably smoke okay (lol) but they are nasty little devils, higher than a freakin astronaut on your buds . . .

this season I'm planiting near the field & trying praying mantis & lady bugs. the bugs are said to eat the eggs they moths lay . . . if this doesn't work, I'll spray with worm killer (organic!)

I spent a lotto time last year picking the little worms from my precious buds! I'm sure I missed a few, but they smoked real smooth . . . :wave:

Lucky 7

GorillaGrower, when I planted in the rows a few yrs ago, I used this method; it worked perfectly. The NL X Shiva grew to 7 feet, yielded at least a half pound. still have some.

Last edited:

Guest423

Veteran
GorillaGrower said:
Flyovers are a joke.. who's flying over?? private planes?? DEA helicopters?? have you ever been in a plane?? there's no way unless you were specifically told yeah there's pot in that field and this is where.. would you ever ever be able to see it.

i agree, flyovers are a joke...if you know the slightest thing about stealth there are no worries at all.

the best thing to find is if there is a patch of woods like an island somewhere in the field....they won't plant the corn all the way up to the woods so there is always a nice opening or openings u can fill in with plants. or if one field meets another there are normally spaces....a great one is if two fields meet and there is a fence row seperating them....u can put plants down the whole fence line.

G

I am an eigth generation dairy farmer.We grow @ 650 acres of field corn.
Corn has a tap root up to six ft long.(the reason it thrives in hot ,dry weather.) For that reason I take a little more space between stalks.Pull three plants per one pot plant.Sometimes farmers will have a small open space because of the way the field is shaped and depending on the width of their planters.Look for these while the plants are small.They'll be easier to spot.
If you're planting 200 plants then they may be spotted. A dozen or two...I doubt it.
We find other peoples weed crops in our fields at least once every three yrs.Some of them have been damn nice plants too_Our farm is very close to an army base too.Heli's all the time.Good Luck...

Great post gorilla grower. flyovers are usually a joke indeed. u cant identify shit and there are many shrubs growing the feilds anyway.
2 questions.
How do you know between sweet and feed corn?
And why would you say fuck upstate NY.... thats my place...West of Rochester and proud of it.... i wish you would say fuck upstate NY somehwere in the city of rochester. We have the highest homocide rate per capita in the cities of the USA and Rico

time2unite, i love those fence line things u were saying. they are everywhere around here and have been untouched for years and there is all kinds of tall grass thorns and shit that helps alot with security.
3 best places to grow around here. 1-island in a pond or body of water 2- cornfeild 3- fence-like allies between feilds.

Budluver- What are your thoughts when you see other peoples plants? You ever take em or think about it a teeny bit? How often do yours get ripped off?