What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

looking for advice on a more complexd dehumidifier setup

Avyateher

Hello IC'ers.

I'm looking for advice on setting up a three room grow using a single quest 155 dehumidifier. I am trying to design a ducting system that allows independent humidifying control in two (flip flop) flower rooms and a veg room. I have a 10 by 16 area with a 5 by 10 on each end separated by the 4 by 10 veg area. I guess I'm looking for electrically controlled ducting to open/close each room individually. Any advice, thoughts, links or other threads dealing with the design idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Avy

Bwanabud

Electronic dampers controlled by a single timer would do it easily, a main plenum box to feed the humidifier inlet....and a dump zone for the humidifier exhaust(don't try to duct it, or over heating will occur).

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
If the rooms are next to each other you could put the dehuey in one flower room and share the air between the rooms with a fan and filter. The veg room air won’t need to be dehumidified. I have quest 105s in each room and a filter and fan connecting the rooms in case of dehuey or ac problems. Having one dehumidifier it will be difficult to keep separate rooms at different humidities if you are concerned with optimal vpd at different periods of the flower cycle.

packerfan79

Veteran
I think the simplest way to do this would be to make the center room your lung room. Both flower rooms would exhaust and intake for the center room. You could do the motorized dampers and such. I don't know how. I tried something similar, but couldn't figure out how to power a 24v dampers on 110v.

Bwanabud

I think the simplest way to do this would be to make the center room your lung room. Both flower rooms would exhaust and intake for the center room. You could do the motorized dampers and such. I don't know how. I tried something similar, but couldn't figure out how to power a 24v dampers on 110v.

911 relay

Sorry different topic to avoid posting a redundant thread but I cant find a simple answer. Just a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo which is probably good but not for my application. I basically need advice on what size of a dehumidifier I need to get my % between 40 and 50% rh. I have a 4x4x7 tent that is in a room that is 10x7x8 size room. Running 1000w cooltube lights dialed down to 600w at the moment. A carbon scrubber that circulates the tents air 2 to 3 times a minute (im guessing) that exhaust back into the room running 24/7. 2 oscillating fans inside the tent running 24/7. The temps lights on average around 79-81 degrees with rh around 50%. However the lights off the temps drop a few degrees but the rh spikes into the 70% range. I am in the first week of flower. Moving into the fall/winter I figured the rh will go down naturally but temps are still running fairly warm but soon will be dropping into the 50s and 60s. I have read placing dehumidifiers in the tent is not idea which I agree and that one needs to control the humidity of the air that is being sucked into the tent which would be my 10x7x8 room. As I stated it will be getting cooler but there will be lots of moisture/rain this time of year and I dont need to crank on the ac/window unit to lower the rh because I am not having a temp issue. What size dehumidifier should I get for my specific application for optimal flower cycle.

Thanks

Last edited:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
The sante fe compact 2 is probably the best price on a quality unit. The quest 105 is very comparable but the price has gotten high. The quality units will pay for themselves in power savings pretty quick over the dehumidifiers that are common in the chain stores. Between 70-105 pint should do it and I would find one that is pulling around 5 amps.

Last edited:
The sante fe compact 2 is probably the best price on a quality unit. The quest 105 is very comparable but the price has gotten high. The quality units will pay for themselves in power savings pretty quick over the dehumidifiers that are common in the chain stores. Between 70-105 pint should do it and I would find one that is pulling around 5 amps.

Yeah, way overkill on $$$. I will just search for one that is similar to the big box stores. Maybe score one on CL or something. Thanks for the range to look for. I am assuming basing that off the dimensions of the room the tent is in....

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
If it is cool and dry where you live you might be able to get away with a small heater when the lights are off. With just one light worth of plants it shouldn’t take much. Usually humidity drops when the lights come on and a heater keeping things at 70 when lights are off might be just right if it’s in a garage or out building and the heater has to stay on to keep the temp up.

If it is cool and dry where you live you might be able to get away with a small heater when the lights are off. With just one light worth of plants it shouldn’t take much. Usually humidity drops when the lights come on and a heater keeping things at 70 when lights are off might be just right if it’s in a garage or out building and the heater has to stay on to keep the temp up.

I have a heater so I can give it a shot when the temps get lower. It's to hot still to run a heater. Just don't know if I should blow a wad on a dehumidifier. I mean when should you really start dialing in on the humidity once you flip? As far as a variable of environment I think humidity should be addressed and be within a optimal range...

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Look at the vpd chart. I keep humidity in the 70s through stretch. I trim undergrowth and then ease humidity down into the 60s when flowers start to get thick at week 5. I take it down in the 50s for the last few weeks. Hang it dry at 60.

Look at the vpd chart. I keep humidity in the 70s through stretch. I trim undergrowth and then ease humidity down into the 60s when flowers start to get thick at week 5. I take it down in the 50s for the last few weeks. Hang it dry at 60.

Very interesting. Thanks for the tip so according to the chart referenced at https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/vapor-pressure-deficit-cannabis-cultivation/

my temps lights off right now hygrometer is reading 77 degrees at 76 RH which puts me in the optimal zone at 8 give or take a decimal or two. However, these values will change when the lights kick on. I would be hard pressed to think that one could keep their VPD in the perfect zone 100% of the time due to fluctuating variables. For instance yesterday it was in the 80s here where I live. Today it is 65 degrees for the high and its raining. I don't have a perfect lab setting.
By the charts it looks like the lower you can keep your air temps the more forgiving your optimal VPD zone is with respect to humidity if that makes sense. I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible and wish there was a cheat sheet like something that says during the veg cycle just make sure your temps and humidity fall in this zone, then when you flip this zone etc.... Sort of what you said. I guess if that is working for you I can just follow that. 70% rh through stretch then around week 5 knock the rh in to the 60% range then last few weeks go for around 50%. Do you use a dehumidifier? Looks like I will need to get one and put it on a timer for the dark cycle because that is when the rh really ramps up.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
The "easiest" way is sealed room with co2, ac, and dehumidifier. That's how I do my flower rooms, I can make my numbers exactly what I want. In veg I do air exchange with no ac, no dehuey, and outside air for co2. Veg can run hot, up to 90 in summer with high humidity and they love it. I use a thermostatic speed control that hyperfan sells and it controls airflow. Veg is more of a timing thing and I don't need optimal just the right numbers at the right size, but that said veg is 80-90 degrees with humidity over 70 always. For flower I have three of the quest and one Sante Fe in separate rooms like I mentioned earlier and they were the best money I have spent. I keep temps and humidity like I stated in flower. Doing air exchange it will be a little less controlled but in the winter it's doable. You will need a dehumidifier to dry the material anyway so might as well have it to help keep things right in flower. Here is a link to a vpd summary. https://growersnetwork.org/cultivation/tailored-vpd-cannabis-growth/

Between 70-105 pint should do it and I would find one that is pulling around 5 amps.

Would something like this or something around these specs be good? or if you have a minute or two would you google a few options within this price range and give some recommendations. If not thats cool. I know you already gave some units you prefer but they are way out of my budget. I do like the feature on this one in that you set it to a desired Rh level and when it hits it shuts off....However, once the humidity rises above desired parameter it wont start back up so that could be a deal breaker....

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Energy-Pu...ocphy=9026222&hvtargid=pla-349155028286&psc=1

Thanks man!

Last edited:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I would probably get it through a store near you just in case you have a problem with it. Any name brand with good reviews will be as likely as another to work well. Set it up off the ground and hook a hose to it to drain into a reservoir so that it won’t turn off every time it fills up and use the water to feed your plants. Keep the filter clean and get a separate humidity gauge to adjust by and put the sensor in the tent.

Latest posts

Latest posts