What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Cooled Reflector setup advice please!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Mike was (is?) the owner of Mandala Seeds.

I used a digital thermometer with an attachable probe to detect "outside" temps, bought from Walmart. I fixed the probe to the reflector so that it was dangling down right at canopy level (which I adjusted as the plants grew), and then I used the "outside" button on the thermometer to measure the temps of the inside of the tent. It also saved the high and low for each 24 hour period, so that was cool. I could see how hot or cold it got when I wasn't around.

Yes, all things being setup properly and tuned in, you can keep the temperature in the tent right at or within 2 degrees of the ambient temperature in the room.

Remember, just because you are feeling air blowing out of the tent doesn't mean that the airflow is being channeled all the way through the tent as it should be. If you have a way of zipping the tent up so that the part that's open is down by the floor that ought to help, I suppose. That intake port you described sounds like it's a screened window instead of a ducting port. What brand tent are you using? I thought all of the brands used ducting ports with drawstrings. Anyway, all you need is for the intake hole to be about twice the area of the exhaust hole. If the tent is imploding from too much negative pressure, you can dial the fan down with a controller, or you can increase the size (or number) of intake holes.

Yes, your intake run to the tent/hood is the shorter run and less than 10', correct?

Yes, from the window to where the duct would enter the tent is about 6' max then 4 feet through the tent/fixture and then about 4 feet to where it would exit into the attic. So with all the slight bends and leaving a little extra for raising and lowering the light I would say total less than 20 feet. So what do you think pull the air?

That intake port you described sounds like it's a screened window.

That is exactly what it is. The tent has a total of 5 ports with drawl strings. I fucked up and mounted the carbon filter right above the intake window which is right below it ground level so air isn't being pulled across the canopy. However its 16 square feet so I can't really see that being to huge of a deal. I could open one or both the ports in the front right or left (ground level) allowing air to be pulled through that way in addition to the intake screened window then air from either of those ports would have to pass over the plants What do you think?

The fan has a speed control and the front of the tent is imploding a little bit is that okay? or should I dial it down to where the tents sides are pretty much even?

Thanks bro for the input. It really helps!!! :good:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You want your incoming air to pass over or through the plants, then up and out. Ideally, it should come in at the bottom and push up through the canopy. I use a couple fans to keep the air in a vortex while it goes up through the canopy. In 15+ years I've not seen PM on my plants in flower, only in messed up veg areas without sufficient airflow. ;)

Yes, putting the fan after the tent should work great for the cooling the hood.

In 15+ years I've not seen PM on my plants in flower, only in messed up veg areas without sufficient airflow. ;)

Yes, putting the fan after the tent should work great for the cooling the hood.

Right on! So in what instance would you want to push the air? I don't live in an extremely humid area so PM should never be an issue. I have a humidifier going right now keeping it around 68% RH in veg. When I take it out the RH will probably register around a constant 40-45% RH for bloom...