What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High quality grow tents

So after allot of research I did purchase the gorilla 4x4' tent. I have used groLab GL145 (4.9'x4.9') for years but the main door zipper only lasted 3 years. This last one, zipper only lasted 2 years. And forget sewing pin holes, the window covering doesnt match well at all to the windows and would/could create a light leak fiasco... I'm betting I can get that 7'11" tent up under my 8' high ceiling somehow..

EDIT: The extra money isnt a problem. I am hoping that one does get what they pay for.

How you making out with your tent?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
How you making out with your tent?
Hello, KP. Got the tent almost erected. YES! one can get the top on a 7'11" tent in an room that is 8'. While squeezing that tents top thru the 1 inch between the ceiling and the top structural poles and positioning isnt easy but not real hard to do either.
Right now, am fighting with positioning the top so my exhaust port is where I want it. Looking from the front door, upper exhaust port positioning that I want is upper right corner of the tent.
BUT zippers are proprietary and in order for the top zippers match the 1' extension and the zipper that match the side door use. Dont get buzzed before erection (the tent). I'm happy with the weakest points of a tents, the zippers. They are heavy duty and open and close smoothly.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I just went another round with the tent... Front door zipper runs from bottom to top. Hooking the zipper ends at the doors bottom is a PITA (I'm old(er)):biggrin:. other than that, I' like the sideways U shaped door that is in the back of the tent, available on both the right and left side of the tent for access to plants. In a 4'X4' tent one can access all plants from either side. I guess that was their rational for putting it in the back wall. I only have 4" between rear wall and tent, so no rear access, door is wasted. There is an exhaust port on the ceiling but with less than 1" between ceiling and tent top, useless for me.. maybe snake some electricity thru it.

All in all I love:
the tent overall
the 7'11" headroom with the 1 foot extension
Zippers
Heavy duty exterior fabric
interior tool or miscellaneous pockets
Zippers
front door windows

What I dont like (but are mostly my problem)
front door zippering bottom to top instead of top, down to close the front door
U shaped door placement
more exhaust ports (I'll have to cut an 8" exhaust hole in the top right side of the tent where I want it and Gorilla Tape it in place)

I also ordered what they call gear boards (2) to be used for 1st more structural side wall support (4 extra up-rites) and mounting ballasts or possibly filter mounting. They only sent one board and as of today they have not replied to my msg via their site 'contact' msging last week and an email yesterday about the problem.. If I get no answer today, tomorrow I call.. OTOH, one of eight of the plastic connectors came broken and I received the replacement in 3 days. so I'm not sure about how the customer support will turn out.

Because I'm not the best carpenter here, I put in place above tent a partial sheet of 1/2" plywood, screwed to ceiling joists thru Sheetrock. This enables me to mount filter and fan and light at any spacing and not having to hit joists. I will staple thru the ceiling to the plywood picking up any slack.

This tent, 4'X4' is smaller than my previous tents (4.9X4.9) so I'll have to juggle a couple things as I go.

ashelyrosa

Before choose any grow tent you should consider some things such as the grow tent materials, zippers, easy view windows, and make sure is the tent light proof, tear proof? If you search about grow tent on google i think you will get enough information.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've not found a 'totally' light-proof tent... They are sewn together, needle leaves holes, small but can still be problematic if there is a substantial light source in the area..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've not found a 'totally' light-proof tent... They are sewn together, needle leaves holes, small but can still be problematic if there is a substantial light source in the area..
I'm amazed at the massive number of pinhole light leaks on some of these tents. That... and how many of them have those silly screened opening with a velcro patch over it? A complete waste for my needs with ventilation and a lousy light proofing solution.

So, anyone designing a REAL tent? :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
And for goodness, Gorilla bunji screen (SCROG) for the 4'x4' tent is verry nice, holes are a little big but I used to make my own rigid screens but mounting them with still enough enough wiggle room to get around in.. FThat these are jusst fine hook up easy and raising or lowering them is easy. down the road, who knows may not be strong enough to support massive colas.. I'll deal with that problem then :biggrin:.

EDIT: and to go on a bit, I also got what they call Gear Boards intended to mound 'stuff'. It works but are kinda a PITA cause once installed restricts ingress to the plants when the tent is opened all around. And installation of the 96" one must be done with the tent completely empty, I have 2 but next run will only mount one to the back wall which isnt accessible anyway.