What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Solo Cup Closet Grow - First Time

I'm currently on Week 9 of what I expect to be a 12-week autoflower grow. I've already shared my "diary" on several other sites but thought I'd post it here just for kicks.

I'm working with the absolute minimum equipment. The total setup including 7 feminized seeds cost $68. I'm living with some strict roommates & thus stealth is of great importance. So this isn't a flashy, high-yielding grow. Just something small & modest. A nanogrow if you will.

STRAIN: Sour Diesel Auto
MEDIUM: Soil - Black Gold Organic
CONTAINER: 18-oz Solo cup
NUTES: Homemade (fish food, grass clipping tea, diluted urine, banana tea, Epsom salt, brown sugar)
LIGHTS: CFL - 84 watts Soft White + LED 20 watts

Here is my setup:

With this for reflective material...

Things started out rough. She was very small for her age & then almost shriveled up & died when I introduced the first CFL bulb.

Week 2

But I gave her some water & she bounced back. Things remained easy until Week 7, which I'll get to later. She didn't need any feedings until Week 3, when I gave her some (very) diluted urine with her scheduled watering. This perked her right up! Have a look at the before & after:

Last edited:

BEFORE...

AFTER!

Her next feeding came in the form of grass clipping tea, which is rich in nitrogen & potassium. I made the mistake of leaving it to "brew" too long, which resulted in the foulest smelling stuff EVER. But the plant didn't mind. I did two applications & she drank it right up. When it was time for flowering, I switched to a high phosphorus nute: Tetramin fish flakes. It contains fish meal, shrimp meal & lots of other things plants like. This worked out great as well. It was when I got to the banana peel tea that things went awry. But first, here are some pics of her in happier days during Weeks 4, 5 & 6:

...and that's the last real healthy looking shot I have of her before the chlorosis set in. While the banana tea made her buds explode with growth & trichomes, it absolutely killed her leaves, turning them yellow & crispy in a matter of days. Here are two top view pics that show the damage in only 4 days' time:

May 24th

May 28th

And it only got worse from there. I did a flush which sort of stopped the yellowing. Luckily her bud sites remained green & healthy somehow. I don't know what caused this rapid yellowing to happen, but it almost cost me my plant's life. I've been going very conservative on the nutrients in the weeks that followed. Week 8 was just some cheap tomato ferts with low doses of NPK followed by some Epsom salts & the same thing for Week 9 (this week).

Here are some current ones from Week 9. Note the difference in color between the buds & leaves:

Her biggest cola

When touched, the buds reek of lemony diesel & skunk. I think the smoke will be good, even if the yield isn't. But it should last me a while since I'm a very occasional smoker. Forgive my crappy camera quality. The buds look much better when you can see the trichomes & pistils with clarity.​

moonymonkey

wow nice...never used those things for plant food...coool stuff....want to hear more about it and any thing else your doing? tnx for sharing ,how do you use the brown sugar and epsom salts,and what soil you in? peace mm/

Last edited:

moonymonkey

looks like i found som info. on adventuresinpsychonautics.blogspot.com then type in pre flowering wen u get there...mm/

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Classic nutrient burn, you ended up feeding her too much. This is why using the plain water slowed the damage a little.

Amazing job!!!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
If it were me I would have used Fox Farm soil cuz I feel that it's way better than the rest. Also my plants don't burn as much.

Mr. J

I don't understand why the plant was so unhealthy!!! You did everything right. You pissed on her, fed her dead grass, even fed her fish flakes. Probably just bad luck.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Mix and cook up a small bucket of super soil. Use it and you shouldn't have to use nutes, only water. Hot mix in the bottom, normal on 90%on the top.

Latest posts

Latest posts