What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pot, smoking, and hanging out....

Ok...Kind of a rant, and I know I'll probably sound like a dick but whatever....

I grow, used to smoke probably close to an ounce every two weeks but don't really smoke that much anymore, some on the weekends but thats about it.. The reason ? I work a shit ton of hours at a stressful, corporate job, I have a long commute, I have a house and sizable piece of land to take care of, as well as dog i need to take care of, and a girlfriend I spend time with that doesn't smoke, and frankly doesnt like to be around pot smoke at all..

In my downtime, I don't want to spend endless hours smoking pot with you when you stop over to get some of my stash, and after spending almost an hour and a half on the road trying to get home from work after a 9-10 hour day, I don't want to run right out and go over to hang out in your basement or your attic smoking dope because your wife doesn't want the furniture smelling like pot, and on the weekends I really just want to chill at the house IM spending big bucks for and hardly every get to see, and maybe spend some time trying to catch that huge bass in the pond behind my house...

It doesn't mean I don't like you, don't care about you or whatever..it just means i lead a busy life and my priorities are differnt than yours...Don't like it ? Get over it....I'm almost 50 and this isn't fucking high school anymore when we had all the time in the world to kill....

rant over....and thanks for listening...

S

Sat X RB

Welcome to getting older.... :)

That's right, Dark star. it seems to me ... an over-50 ... that ... whether you're conscious of it or not ... it is quite common to act as if one is running out of time!

and that there is a need to rearrange priorities so that the important stuff gets done.

of course 'important' means different things to different people. for example, I gave up work instead of giving up smoking ...

stoned cheers from the Land of Oz!

HUGE

Veteran
You just described the human game. Working a job long hours to buy shit you never get to enjoy because your too busy working or only bought them because they sounded nice. Like rich people with a sailboat that can't sail. And it sounds that on top of a long ass shitty job you have to sling herb on your off time just to make ends meet. Im not putting your situation down just pointing out the reaccuring theme I see.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
I'm in my early 50's, kinda retired, and just getting into growing.
A lot of folks in my parents' generation took up breeding roses for a hobby,
and I'm taking that kind of approach with cannabis in my retirement years;
and is among many other interests.

But, OP, I can understand your rant. :tiphat:
cheers and enjoy

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'm 55. Trimmed my beard today and noticed a bunch of hairs growing off my ears. My expanding bald spot is migrating to my ears and nose. I'm turning into a Wookie. [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48762&pictureid=1136670&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

Getting old is not for pussies. End of rant. [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48762&pictureid=1136660&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

Ain't it the truth?!
I'l be 60 next Spring. The nose hair I'm used to but the ear hair is freaking me out.. it's like little white pot pistels growing outta my ears...Luckily, I've still got it all on the head, it's just way, way shorter now than 35 years ago and its all getting gray now..
The eyebrows are a bit freaky, they're starting to turn into bushes and I have to trim 'em to keep 'em outta my outta my eyes..

Your right, "Getting old is not for pussies"!!!

k-s-p

Veteran
Ain't it the truth?!
I'l be 60 next Spring. The nose hair I'm used to but the ear hair is freaking me out.. it's like little white pot pistels growing outta my ears...Luckily, I've still got it all on the head, it's just way, way shorter now than 35 years ago and its all getting gray now..
The eyebrows are a bit freaky, they're starting to turn into bushes and I have to trim 'em to keep 'em outta my outta my eyes..

Your right, "Getting old is not for pussies"!!!

I can relate, and getting older is a hell of a lot better than the alternative :biggrin:

You just described the human game. Working a job long hours to buy shit you never get to enjoy because your too busy working or only bought them because they sounded nice. Like rich people with a sailboat that can't sail. And it sounds that on top of a long ass shitty job you have to sling herb on your off time just to make ends meet. Im not putting your situation down just pointing out the reaccuring theme I see.

yeah partly it...except i don't really buy a bunch of shit and live pretty modestly..just trying to live day to day is expensive as it is...

I also grow because I honestly enjoy it, but I do sling some to help with bills, not denying that and I treat people well in that respect...not sure how long thats going to continue though because people seem to take offense that I don't want to hang out....honestly though, leave for work at six, get home at 630, who has time to hang out??

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
It's priorities. Some people, myself included, prefer to live in the present. Some people and it sounds like you're one, prefer to live in the future, betting that they'll live long enough to reap the rewards of putting their life on hold while they make money.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
You may want to keep your friends close. But at the same time you got to let them know you are busy. No shame in that. Keep the friends tho. Lost my best Bud just over a year ago and I still, daily, think of something I need to talk with him about. To late now he's dead. Just let him know if you're busy no big deal. You'll need him down the road. I mean I've got no one to help me make dirt and with my back, oh well.

Last edited:

Tronic

I think that you need to quit bitching about things that are all 100% in your control.

To start (in no particular order):

a) you work a STRESSFUL job for a BIG CORPORATION (oh no!!)
b) said job is 3 hours round trip commute (believe it or not - you're cheaper if you work from home... change this immediately)
c) you live in the middle of nowhere (obvious by the large piece of land you have and your commute - this is also why people tend to hang out with you longer than you may want them to... because they just also drove far to come hang with you)
d)you and your friends clearly let the women in your lives drive what you can and can't do. (hint: new friends)

But then again most of this is pretty moot because you're 50 and still haven't figured this out by now, then you never will

Painfull

Nothing wrong with your choice to limit your pot smoking. Putting your priorities first is the smart thing to do. Times are hard and good jobs and women are hard to come by. I also choose just to smoke during the weekends, but I am retired, early due to health problems. I am now 63 this month, and I been growing for many years now. When I go out to my hang out bar on weekends it seems that everyone is a grower, wheeler or dealer. It seems like I don't fit in anymore. aahh, to be young again.:tiphat: Pain

anditwasfun

Don't complain to a bunch of stoners in the "toker's den" section about people wanting to toke in your den...lol if this is how you analyze things idk why anyone wants to hang out, you must grow some real good shit...another reason why they stay for a minute, they don't wanna crash lol.

Also kinda funny/sad that you'd rather rant to a bunch of strangers on a messageboard than spend time with your friends. My best friend died the other day. Honestly, if she hit me up on facebook the other day before she died, it'd be a 50/50 whether I would respond because "i'm so busy"...now she's fucking dead and nothing can bring her back! Enjoy life, talk to people, you're 40-something, you should have a better value of life than someone my age. Fuck your "corporate" job (That's what my buddy called workin at Costco to girls at the bar), fuck driving so far, tell your girlfriend to respect your choices, and smoke a fat joint/blunt with your friends next time they come by. Tomorrow isn't promised.

Hey, different strokes for different folks. I respect you wanting to do your own thing, and I don't think negatively of you. A few paragraphs don't really tell me your life story, just your train of thought in that given moment.

DarthFader1

Veteran
OP I think you should effectively communicate your issues to your friends that are raising your blood pressure. Explain to them in a calm, rational manner your reasons you don't want to hang out for hours on end blazing up, ppl are surprisingly understanding when you tell them the truth ime

OP I think you should effectively communicate your issues to your friends that are raising your blood pressure. Explain to them in a calm, rational manner your reasons you don't want to hang out for hours on end blazing up, ppl are surprisingly understanding when you tell them the truth ime

eh...I've tried...they just really don't seem to get it. To be honest and blunt alot of these guys still live like they are back in high school. Many of these people live a fairly carefree lifestyle with little responsibility, and in some cases either have no job or work the kind of job where you can smoke all day and than go out after work and drink all night...so to them the idea of "I don't want to hang out with you for endless periods of time when I am not working" simply does not commute.

Also, its not like I have not tried setting up qaulity time with these guys. I hike often, and I know some of these people enjoy hiking so have tried setting up trips with them, but the problem is my idea of hiking is vastly different. To me, it means getting up early and being at the trailhead by 8 or 9 am...to them it means waking up at ten am, dicking around smoking pot or drinking beer until 2-3 hours and than doing something at maybe 3-4 pm at which point the day is almost over.

As for the "living in the present" comment...that kind of a bullshit copout. I have plenty of fun "in the here and now", but I also don't believe in wasting ginormous amounts of time sitting around partying. I did more than my share of that in my 20s and 30s and just ended up fat and nearly diabetic as a result..

DarthFader1

Veteran
Thanks for taking the time to post there darkstar. Maybe find some new friends to compliment your other ones? I know thats ALOT easier said than done; you said you were into hiking have you looked into joining any clubs where u might find like minded people?

cheers
darth