What's new

Do all my plants foxtail because..?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Hey there folks. I have a hypothesis and hope you more knowledgeable IC members can give me some free schooling ;)

All strains i grow end up foxtailing to some degree. Even ones that would not for most growers. Is this because of the ever present 65%+ Relative Humidity in my room? Are the flowers elongating in order to protect themselves from mold?

The only part of my room that is not dialed is the humidity level. I can't get the humidity below 60% ever during lights out in flower. The expensive santa fe dehumidifier i bought a few years back could never do the job, just have too much plant matter in too small an area. I installed a 10 inch max fan to exhaust during lights out, but the condensation was causing issues and i had to ditch it. If i thought a better dehumidifier could solve the issue, i would consider purchasing one. When i grow sours and such they become a major pain in the ass to trim, and their appearance is altered due to all the foxtailing. By the way, whats the proper scientific name for said foxtailing? I'll read up on google once i know that!

Thanks for checking out the thread and have a nice day, would ya.

Last edited:

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
I can't give you an advanced scientific answer homie, but I'd like to say I consider you a skilled grower with a lovely harvest. Please don't be so critical of your own work! Oh my sours sometimes knuckle, others foxtail. Some finish yellow, others green...too many variables to make an exact determination! Peace Avalon!

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Ha Ha! Thanks for the kind words Fly By Night, and the good advice.

I am definitely not losing sleep over this, but i am also not making a mountain out of a molehill. I see my strains run in more than one environment(room) and can say with certainty that my sealed room causes extreme foxtailing. A strain that would foxtail under normal conditions, ends up looking like fingers on a hand in my room. I am sure the end meds can be improved, and as long as thats the case, i'll keep trying to figure out how!

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What nutes are you using ? i found with my 1 part nute (veg & bloom ) that if i ran full strength to far into flowering that to much N caused foxtailing & more airyness to the buds than when i ran them on lower doses .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with dans the fox tailing can be induced by High N. Also high heat can do it as well.When I do get them I cut them off. If I dont people complain about to much shake in the bottom.

I know this sounds overly simplistic - but I think low phosphorus can induce foxtailing and fingering.

Just a theory.

As far as foxtailing to protect from mold, I don't think that was likely ever a problem for cannabis until mankind took interest in the plant and started breeding cultivars. Again just a theory. Cannabis has "evolved" via the meddling of man like no other plant. I doubt we even have anything close to a true "landrace" anywhere on the planet and pre-human cannabis was probably very, very larfy, as dense buds rot in nature.

All just ideas.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Real interesting stuff people. Gracie for sharing your thoughts.

Dansbuds currently been running PBP for flower. Two rounds in a row. Was using GH micro/bloom prior, and definitely was only using Bloom the last 21+ days when using the GH. Same strain (chem Sour) seems to be a tad more elongated and fngered ths round than last. Though the first run wth her she was more compact. So yeah, it seems the one part may be affecting the foxtailing.

Granger thats pretty much what goes on. i do leave most of them intact if they are not totally ridiculously huge, otherwse they either become small buds, or my vape ash!

Hammer, no doubt in my mind high heat causes foxtailing. Seen plenty on the plants directly below the HPS. i got real aggressive with the ladies this round to be sure they were not too close to the bulbs. My 1 1/2 month veg often has at least a few plants not getting along with each bulb. This round the ladies on the perimeter of the light footprint are foxtailing more than normal.

Lee Van none of what you shared was simplistic. On the contrary, rather insightful! Appreciate the thought provoking. The landraces evolved within the given region and environment in which they inbred, so it maes perfect sense they would adapt to the climate and avoid mold issues. Grow dense bud in the dry cold mountains of Afghanistan, and loose airier flowers in the hot wet jungles of Cambodia.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It happens to big buddha cheese way more if my lights weren't close enough.

sso

Veteran
well, if its only happening in the sealed room.

what are the differences allround aside from it being sealed?

higher temps? higher humitidy? different lamps or proximity?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just bought a 50 pint Dehuy for $140 free ship..I dont know what kind you have. This one will do 1000sf. I will be using it in 600sf room..I always get equipment that I can use later if I upgrade..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^I agree, high heat and high n are what has caused my fox tailing in tents in the past. high humidity raises temperature, causes leaf curl, and high nitrogen uptake. sound like you just need to get those three things under control and your stuff will be good. oh also some kushes need to be at least 1.5 feet from the light or they fox tail.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Thanks all for your participation.

SSO the differences are sealed room is 80-85. Non sealed are 75. sealed humidity is 65%, non sealed is 40%. CO2 enrichment in sealed...not in non sealed.

It seems the switch to PBP from GH was a contributing factor. My room was only warmer this round during lights out, so i wonder if that could have contributed.

Hammerhead my santa fe classic dehuey is rated for 110 pints a day and 2500 sqft. I used to run a 50 pint unit as well in the room and still could not get the humidity below 60%. Santa Fe sent me a new unit and nothing changed. I have come to believe that 50 girls vegged for 7 weeks in a 12x12 space is too much transpiration and wet coco for any dehuey to combat. Though i really have no clue!

HASHZ Thanks for the info. I did not know high humidity can raise temperature nor that it would increase N uptake. Interesting stuff indeed.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^Well it makes it feel hotter. It doesn't actually make it hotter. however the higher the temperature the more water the air can hold. so lower your temperature and it may lower your humidity.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
110P is large unit.. 50 in a 12x12 doesnt leave much room. How big are the plants. The 50 is large enough for a 12x12.. The only thing I can think of is to increase the air exchange rate..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^personally I go for DuckTales...... Woo Hooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGLMtGsotc

300px-DuckTales_%28Main_title%29.jpg

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking its your 1 part nutes . the reason being ... 2 & 3 part nutes take the N out of the formula as you get into flowering , where 1 part nutes ... the N is still there & your actually feeding more N in flower cuz your nute strengths are stronger than they were in veg . how i fix the high N is i feed heavy for the first 3 weeks of flower ( stretch ) & then i taper down the feeds from the 3rd week . some people are suggesting a PK boost at weeks 4 & 5 with the base nutes cut back to get the proper EC . but with my V&B ... i haven't needed a PK boost ... my budset has been great without the boost so far .... i may try it eventually .