What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biological Testing

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since there is a thread on soil testing, I thought it responsible to talk a little about biological or microbial testing.

This was once again brought to my attention the other day when I was asked to review some test results. As with my recommendations for nutrient testing, if you want formal results then deal with an accredited lab. They will be able to give species to a degree and numbers,

The work can be done informally with direct microscopy and extended cultures, as I do but be certain the microscopist knows what they are doing. Watch out for results given in units of measure of mass per volume (eg. micrograms per milliliter) without provision of the foundational information estimating the weight of bacteria or fungi. If diverse species are lumped together, the results can be highly skewed simply because different species have different densities (mass).

My preference is an expression of percentage of volume being occupied by the target microorganism. eg. 10% of viewed sample was fungal or bacterial biomass. OR numbers of microorganisms per ml or cm3. Even better may be showing results via video.

Also be wary of statements that a certain ratio of microorganisms will result in a provision of 'X' amount of nitrogen (etc) per given area or volume (eg. per acre) unless you understand and agree with the foundational substantiation provided.

If a count of amoebae is provided it should show a clear separation of testate and naked amoebae. Naked amoebae cycle nutrients more rapidly.

A high count of bacterial feeding nematodes is a very good indicator of fertile soil. This factor is often overlooked in biological testing.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are some companies/organizations that the homegrower might be able to utilize for these kind of tests?

That is a good question.
Years back I've used the 'Woods End' laboratories but I believe they have evolved and grown. They would be a good place to ask.

I've used several labs in Canada but they were bought out by huge expensive laboratories.

The search could be fun.

EDIT
I've corrected the name of the lab above from Woods Hole to Woods End. Old age ya know. Woods Hole could also help though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts