What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

therevverend

Veteran
Anybody has info and/or pictures of the PNWHP?

The year before I started this thread, 2017, I grew Bodhi's Old School Hashplant. It's Vintage PNW Hashplant x 88G13 HP. I grew a lot of PNW indoors in the 90s, it was one of my best strains and helped inspire this thread. Bodhi's is basically the same strain. It was nostalgic when I was harvesting, the look of the leaves wilting on the branches brought back good memories. It finishes early, end of September, early October. For a hashplant it has great mold resistance. Although the year I grew it was a good year, I'm afraid it's early finish might have doomed it to boytritis last year.

Certain PNW hashplants give me a mild frontal lobe headache. The Old School Hashplant I grew had that effect, now that I think about it I actually grew 2 plants. The larger one had the effect, the smaller didn't. There's probably more phenos that don't have that effect and I need to look for them. I associate the headachey hashplants with a lot of the 'Indica' effects' people complain of generally. Muddy high, sleepiness, confusion, and couch lock. The next year I got the Pot of Gold Hashplant and a lot of my enthusiasm went to that strain, along with Dank Zappa. (87 UW Black Hashplant x 88G13HP) The Zappa is great, very potent and has some nostalgic smells and is not the same as the PNW Hashplant. I made a few Old School Hashplant seeds I need to sprout because a lot of the value in PNW HP is in making hybrids. Back in the day I grew a lot of crosses that were OSH x Mendo purple strains. Incredibly fruity and stoney purple hashplants, some of the best stuff ever. Purple Kush. Here's pictures of the Old School Hashplant, it has the textbook Afghan plant structure.

picture.php

picture.php

Last year I was gifted some 88G13 x HP seeds, popped a couple and got a female. Very nice hashplant but wasn't as exciting and photogenic as some of my other plants and got lost in the mix for a while. It's stalk got boytritis rot right at the base, I treated it with rubbing alcohol and Neosporin antibacterial salve. It recovered, it beat the infection and the mold stopped spreading! I couldn't believe it. The boytritis hit the flowers along with my other stuff but it fought the good fight, did better then most. Here's a picture of the stem rot, notice how much better it looks then some of my other plants in earlier pics.

picture.php

Late in the summer it got a weird leaf disease, Necrotic orangish rusty spots similar to an infection I got on my hops vine. After some research and tests I'm guessing it could be Brown Blight or something similar. Didn't spread to other plants but never went away. Probably lowered my yield a bit but only affected fan leaves, left the flowers alone. Here's a couple pictures.

picture.php

picture.php

If anyone else has pictures or information on PNW hashplant, we'd love to look at it. I can't post anymore pictures so I'll need to create a new one to show 88G13HP flowers. I finally smoked some a few days ago. It was great, tasted like a hashplant should. Got me very baked. As usual so much to say and show. I can hear the rain picking up on the roof so it'll be another day indoors. Which means I'll probably be posting more soon.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm starting to feel a bit ridiculous about what I'm writing lately. Every time I make a post in this thread I'm going on about how great all my stuff was. A lot of growers are shameless self-promoters, I try to be honest. I'm really happy with where I'm at right now, with the strains I have, much happier then I was a couple years ago. It's taken a while but I feel like I have quite a few great strains, more then I've had at any point in my life. I feel like I've reached the limit on what I can do with this climate on this property. I have to consider greener pastures, some of the best stuff I grew last year rotted on the vine.

If nothing else I need to grow some sort of hoop house contraption. I'm leery of a full on greenhouse that could trap moisture, I don't want to have to run a bunch of de-humidifiers. I'm thinking a simple hoop structure that lets the light through but keeps the rain off. The problem is that I like big plants, especially with the limit on numbers, when you reach 10 feet and higher it's not so simple. There's plenty of time to plan and get it right.

I watched a video on hashish pressing by Frenchy Cannoli a couple days ago. It validated a lot of the ideas and techniques I've been trying, especially concerning de-carboxylation. Explained some of the science behind it. It's good to know I've been moving in the right direction and he gave me a couple ideas to get even more dialed in. I hadn't paid a lot of attention to him, figured he was another self-promoter. I was wrong, he knows his stuff and is doing things the right way. At least as far as hash pressing, I'll check out some of his other videos and see if he has anything interesting to say about dry sift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTEXWPfwqw&list=PLdz6GX4tiTlK6NN3y2_wQDG-WTYBcReiX&index=5&t=0s

I'm not sure the aging stuff is that important, if the plants have already been cured, but you never know. I've had hash pieces that sat around for years and they were less potent and tasty then the fresher ones. I didn't wrap them airtight in cellophane, I need to try that and see if it makes a difference.

One thing I liked about the video was his talk about hand pressing. Getting your hands as hot as you can stand. I knew this was a big part of old fashioned hashish pressing. I always have a heater next to me when I'm pressing, but the water bottle is a good idea. I've heated water to the boiling point then submerged resin powder in it for a couple minutes to heat it up. Especially if it's dry or has lots of plant matter, stuff that won't stick will stick easily at 200 degrees.

Now I'm excited about my next sifting. I may have to try making temple balls. The Nepalese Royal Temple Balls were hand rubbed but Frenchy's technique is great. If I press it very thin in my press I should be able to do it.

therevverend

Veteran
Time to wake this thread up, it's already June. One goal I have as a grower is to keep the Pot of Gold Hashplant strain going. Only one other person has seed stock of the strain left. I'm out of the original but I've got back crosses I made.

I have too much other stuff going on and the seeds aren't old, I'm not desperate to make another generation of true bred back crosses. If it works out that way I'll be happy but I try to be selective. I've got two POG HP seedlings. I've got one certain male and one that hasn't shown, leaning male. Both look fat and hashy. They both pass the eye test as possible breeders.

I stuck one in the ground that's doing great, super bushy. I've got one horribly rootbound in a container. It's a male so that's okay but it needs water every day. It catches my eye every time I look at the garden, don't have to look at the label. It's so squat and fat. Here's a picture I took when it was wilting from thirst.

picture.php

My biggest goal during the winter was to find Shishkaberry seed. I was successful, got a Strawberry Shishk x Gorilla Glue #4 from Space Genetics. Then I looked deeper, found someone who kept straight up Shishkaberry that looked wonderful. He treated me right, good guy. Both look great so far.

The straight Shishk has wonderful raspberry-blueberry-strawberry-earthy smells when I rub the stalk. The Gorilla Glue hybrids smell exactly like Elmer's Glue, the stuff they gave you in elementary school. I have two, they're feminized and look like twins. Very nice looking plants, bushy hashplants. Here's a picture.

picture.php

And here's the straight Shishk. The biggest bushiest one. Already shown female.

picture.php

The straight Shishk develops a main stalk with small thin branches shooting off. Very strong main branch. They start out stocky, run a bit, get tall and thin. Then bush out. I'm interested to see how big they get.

Last year I had a 88G13HP. I wasn't impressed. The smoke was great but the plant was medium sized, didn't produce big buds or show promising vigor. I decided to give it another try, sprout some more, if for nothing else for breeding. I'm glad I did. I've got two kick ass big bushy female hasplants and one scraggy thin male type thing. I'm blown away by the vigor and size. Huge wide Afghan type leaves and a fast rate of growth with good bushiness. Here's a picture of the biggest one, how it looked in the last week of May.

picture.php

This is how it looked a couple days ago. It blows me away how fast it's growing, how much it's changing.

picture.php

I had the idea that the strain was size-limited, only got so big for a hashplant. Which doesn't make sense, G13 and Hashplant are both vigorous Afghans with the capacity to blow up. At least up to 8 or 10 feet. It shows you can't make judgments based on one or two or three plants.

Canna-bill

Hi therevverend, great thread man, I love indices and Hashplant strains, sensi's HP especially. I've had a few great plants of it over the years and a few crappy ones. Last time I grew it (2018) I wasn't that impressed tbh. But I decided to give it a go again this year, I had a bad germination rate but i think there may have been some damping off or fungus issues, I'm not sure it was just bad seeds. Anyway I ended up with 4 plants, 3 I'll flower out and one I decided to cull, it didnt have that squat indica look I'm after. Here's a few pics

Attachments

• 20200608_180744.jpg
    20200608_180744.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200608_180750.jpg
    20200608_180750.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200608_180754.jpg
    20200608_180754.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200608_180807.jpg
    20200608_180807.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200608_180815.jpg
    20200608_180815.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13

need4weed

Veteran
Time to wake this thread up, it's already June. One goal I have as a grower is to keep the Pot of Gold Hashplant strain going. Only one other person has seed stock of the strain left. I'm out of the original but I've got back crosses I made.

I have too much other stuff going on and the seeds aren't old, I'm not desperate to make another generation of true bred back crosses. If it works out that way I'll be happy but I try to be selective. I've got two POG HP seedlings. I've got one certain male and one that hasn't shown, leaning male. Both look fat and hashy. They both pass the eye test as possible breeders.

I stuck one in the ground that's doing great, super bushy. I've got one horribly rootbound in a container. It's a male so that's okay but it needs water every day. It catches my eye every time I look at the garden, don't have to look at the label. It's so squat and fat. Here's a picture I took when it was wilting from thirst.

View Image

My biggest goal during the winter was to find Shishkaberry seed. I was successful, got a Strawberry Shishk x Original Glue #4 from Space Genetics. Then I looked deeper, found someone who kept straight up Shishkaberry that looked wonderful. He treated me right, good guy. Both look great so far.

The straight Shishk has wonderful raspberry-blueberry-strawberry-earthy smells when I rub the stalk. The Original Glue hybrids smell exactly like Elmer's Glue, the stuff they gave you in elementary school. I have two, they're feminized and look like twins. Very nice looking plants, bushy hashplants. Here's a picture.

View Image

View Image

The straight Shishk develops a main stalk with small thin branches shooting off. Very strong main branch. They start out stocky, run a bit, get tall and thin. Then bush out. I'm interested to see how big they get.

Last year I had a 88G13HP. I wasn't impressed. The smoke was great but the plant was medium sized, didn't produce big buds or show promising vigor. I decided to give it another try, sprout some more, if for nothing else for breeding. I'm glad I did. I've got two kick ass big bushy female hasplants and one scraggy thin male type thing. I'm blown away by the vigor and size. Huge wide Afghan type leaves and a fast rate of growth with good bushiness. Here's a picture of the biggest one, how it looked in the last week of May.

View Image

This is how it looked a couple days ago. It blows me away how fast it's growing, how much it's changing.

View Image

I had the idea that the strain was size-limited, only got so big for a hashplant. Which doesn't make sense, G13 and Hashplant are both vigorous Afghans with the capacity to blow up. At least up to 8 or 10 feet. It shows you can't make judgments based on one or two or three plants.

This is good to know. I grew one out as well. Really slow from seed. Small leaves, really small yield. Like you I assumed that being so inbred all plants will be the same. I'll give it another go to see what else shows up

therevverend

Veteran
Apologies for the sideways pics, don't know WTF going on there.
I've ran into this a couple times. The first time it was an easy fix, simply flipping the pictures a turn to the right after uploading. After I got Windows 10 it turned into a pain in the ass. Windows 10 automatically flips everything, so does my camera. But IC flips them back after I upload them. I had to go into editing, turn the pictures 90 degrees to the right. Even though it didn't change anything after I uploaded them it looked fine.

I also have a problem with Windows 10 uploading the pictures from my phone to my hard drive. It locks after it scans the pictures. Can't do anything, just have to unplug the phone and give up. It's worked a few times too. A theory is that it's something to do with the power saver mode on the phone but I can't figure a fix. I've had to use an old non-digital computer to upload my pictures which is frustrating.

I've had a few great plants of it over the years and a few crappy ones. Last time I grew it (2018) I wasn't that impressed tbh.

Are those seeds from Sensi? There's quite a bit of variation but they look interesting. I tried Sensi 7 or 8 years back, maybe talked about it in the thread. I've been harsh, ranted a bit about the results. They weren't the same hashplant and were very unstable. Everybody has said the same thing, even the good reviews weren't blown away by it. My biggest problem is the price and the Sensi name. They were the most expensive seeds I've ever bought, for the price and story they should kick ass like they used to. I'm glad other people have kept the strain going and made the seeds available.

therevverend

Veteran
This is good to know. I grew one out as well. Really slow from seed. Small leaves, really small yield. Like you I assumed that being so inbred all plants will be the same. I'll give it another go to see what else shows up
I'm blown away by the vigor of the 88G13 x HP this time around, it was unexpected. I'm so happy, I finally found a female hair on it. I was starting to give up on it, most of my stuff has shown and every day that passes it becomes more likely the remaining unsexed plants will be male. You can't give up though. It's easy to write off undifferentiated primordia as male and accidentally cull or abuse quality females. I started early this year especially to get my sexing done early. Out of my early plants I only have two that haven't shown, one I'm certain is a male. I hope when I check today I'm proven wrong.

It's hard to show how fast growing plants are, especially when they're less then 5 feet. I took pictures with my hand under the leaves to show how big they are. I'd say my hands are average, not huge but not tiny.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Biggest leaves I've seen on a plant that size. Here's the runt of the litter. It's probably male.

picture.php

It's root bound in a small pot but it's still a good looking plant. It's always been lanky. Never been as vigorous or bushy as the two females.

I'll throw in a picture of a select Grape Ape x Bubblegum. It's been wonderful to watch it grow, even when it was a seedling it was incredibly stocky.

picture.php

Hell of a strain. I need to rub the stem, see if it has the grape bubblegum smell or if it's more grape kool-aid or efferescent grape. All good choices.

need4weed

Veteran
They look like true Afghanis. The fan leaf is huge and the structure is very different to what I had. My G13hp had a Christmas tree shaped to it, my gf said the leaves smelt like mint but all I could smell was an acrid burnt rubber

Tynehead Tom

View Image

Nice looking plant :)
I've been working with Shiskaberry for a few years now. I hold a 1998 vintage female from a freezer stored pack. I think I documented some of that here in a outdoor thread. Will have to check my albums. I have the 98 female, as well as Ustad seeds shiskaberry 3 f2 and after choosing a male from those I made Shiskabah. I released those to the old seed bay in 25 packs in 2017?

Since then I have been working the shiskaberry lines every summer but chose to do some other important reproduction F2's of some stuff that is getting rarer .

Maybe I throw down some pics of my Shiskaberry stuff if you folks don't mind?

therevverend

Veteran
Maybe I throw down some pics of my Shiskaberry stuff if you folks don't mind?

Don't mind at all. It's a Hashplant thread, anything Afghani is welcome. Along with Lebanese, Turkish, Moroccan or any other plants from hash producing areas. Himalayan strains, hand rubbed stuff, hybrids or sativas that you're making hash with. If it's got resin that can be collected it's a hash plant. The more resin it produces the better.

I've got Aota seeds that are getting old, Aota x Bubblegum, so I popped a few. Aota is a humboldt strain, it's really A.O.T.A., I've heard it stand for All of the Above. Meaning a hybrid made from mixing a bunch of different strains. I've heard Trainwreck, AK47 and Orange mentioned as components. I haven't noticed one really dominating although it's been marketed as a Trainwreck or Orange type. So far I have one certain female and it's a super stocky Afghan hashplant type.

picture.php

picture.php

It doesn't look like the A.O.T.A. sisters I grew in the past from the same seed. The Afghan side in the Bubblegum is likely coming through. It's not pure Bubblegum either, in all my pictures of Purple Louie x Bubblegum or Grape Ape x Bubblegum, the BG has been hybridized with a Canadian Donkey Dick skunk variety. And no idea which bubblegum it is, just that it came from Mendocino and throws out plants with a sweet pink bubblegum smell. Time and again I've seen these multi-hybrids spit out classic aromatic Afghani types. And sometimes the 'burnt rubber acrid skunk' types'. We all get frustrated over losing certain select phenotypes over the years but the primoridial Hashplant will never die.

Here's the other Aota that looks like the other plants I've found when I've grown the strain. It's leaning male but still undifferentiated. No true flowers yet.

picture.php

It's good smoke but I'm most interested in it's earliness. When I tried it before it finished around September 25th. Good yield, vigorous plant, good mid range hybrid relaxing high that doesn't floor you and tastes sweet. It's frustrating because I'm over my limit and can't keep them.

I'll add one more picture of the Azad Kashmiri. I sprouted a few seeds but only two germinated. The bigger one is female for sure. It's not as big and vigorous as my big one last year. Resembles the middle size 7 foot aromatic plant I grew last year. It was wonderful smoke. Very happy with this strain, made sure to find the room to stick her in the ground in a good spot.

picture.php

BlackBart

Veteran
Love the 88 G-13 HP grown her out a few times

Here's a pic of Afghan Fantasy( AITHR x Kurple Fantasy)

Attachments

• Afghan Fantasy (3).jpg
    Afghan Fantasy (3).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Afghan Fantasy (2).jpg
    Afghan Fantasy (2).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 16

Tynehead Tom

Greenhouse 2020 small batch testing "Tyne's Shisk" which is part of my work towards a Shiskaberry IBL. Not there yet.
While these plants made excellent hash, smoking the bud was not really pleasant. It may have been from a mistake during curing.... jaring too soon maybe I dunno. It's like the bud fermented....
beautiful looking plants though
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have some pics of the 98 female but I'll have to dig in my pics.

Breadwizard

Middle eastern hash plant: Syrian. This is a clone from the most sativa presenting plant from last year's run. The leaf cross section on this strain is a deep v shape, an adaptation to desert sun conditions. This one will smell like wind fallen peaches soon enough. It's already throwing preflowers. 14 hours 40 mins of sunlight here currently.
picture.php

Im'One

I made dry sift from my bubba hashplant and it ws fkng amazing. It was norhing like i have ever smoked in fortry years. No body hit , no weird cerebral thoughts... Just solid floating euphoria and visual enhancement for hours and hours.