What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Great job! This first round just flew by.

What does 'hacked strip' mean on your LED test? Is it a combo of spectrums latched together?

I removed the resistors and bridged the gap, as a test to see what would happen. Had a fail delivery, that I ended up getting refunded.

The original idea, was to add an extra LED chip for each resistor I removed. But just to see what would happen, they are running on a smaller 50W driver with a smaller current.
If this works, and it seems to be running fine. The next test will be adding the 12 extra LED chips, and running them on a 70W driver.

If this works, I will try and do the same with a set of 24V strips.

I call it "hacking" as I am working in blind, most people I have talked with about the idea.
Have told me I shouldn't do this, when I don't know what I am doing and I don't have any real data sheets on my LED's.

BUT what's the fun in that?

When I see SolStrips and quantum boards, they don't have alot of resistors. And if I have understood anything, from all the confusing stoner posts and videos.
It's a question about not blasting too much current thru the LED's, and the resistors prevents me from burning them using a regular driver.

I think with the constant current drivers, I should be able to just add more LED's and they will use the power the resisters "wasted" and not burn out.

Time will tell, and the strips where free.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
3 of the RQS Skunk #1's have gone down, found a little but rot in all of them.

Went out and got me a dehumidifyer today, hooked it up and it looks like it's able to keep the room below 50%.
I haven't been able to spot any signs of bud rot in any of the cheese plants, but I am gonna chop one tomorrow.
Hopefully I can leave the rest on the table, for another week before I chop em.

Sunday I am going on a weeks vacation, so I feel it's a bit of a gamble.
But if I can keep the RH in the canopy layer below 50%, Im fairly sure it's not gonna be an issue.

EvergreenState

Very nice looking yield so far and with the size and great density of the branches you have drying right now, it looks like your total yield should be very good. Those are some chunky looking colas and buds.

Congratulations on all of the great work you've done and for creating such a professional grow OP. It's been inspirational for me. Great job.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Very nice looking yield so far and with the size and great density of the branches you have drying right now, it looks like your total yield should be very good. Those are some chunky looking colas and buds.

Congratulations on all of the great work you've done and for creating such a professional grow OP. It's been inspirational for me. Great job.

Thank you Evergreen, it will be interresting to see what kinda yeald im ending out with. But non the less, the buds look to be very tasty and smells delicious.
The main goal looks to be achieved, then gpw is secondary and it's been so long I have a hard time estimating the yealds.

Im happy, if I can avoid it molding more up!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
It's been a week, since I moved the small plants back into the closet.
Hooked em up to the new drip system, with a Ec around 1.5

I have been removing dead leafs, topped them during this time.
Training them into mom's that hopefully, will be able to yeald the clones in time for the next run.

Ec had moved up to 1.6, pH was 5.6 and I topped up the res with 15 L tap water.
pH adjusted and the mix is now at 1.3 Ec and 5.7 pH

There is new growth and it's looking healthy, still a few leafs left from the early nute burn I gave them.

I have ordered more black fabric pots, as the white pots where a bad choice.

The algea seems to be loving it in there!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Done triming for now, harvested a cheese to night.
Total of 4 plants are now down, and no signs of mold in the cheese.
It got a little different bud structure, not as tight as the Skunk hack.
Im guessing it have been crossed with some indica.

Took a bit of time, to get the remaning plants supported again.
Defoiled them a little, and removed alot of old dead leafs.

Hooked the new dehumidifyer up to a timer, so it will only run at night while lights are out.

Starting to fill out nicely in the bottom of the closet, temps are moving between 18 and 22 C degrees and aprox 60% RH.
The two fans ensure a lot of air movement, and the exhaust fan in the closet ensures plenty of air exchange.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Transplanted some of the plants in the closet, as I had 6 remaining black pot. (I got more on the way)

The white pots turned green pretty fast, and I don't wanna risk the rootball getting alge growth on them.
The root mass wasn't that big, so transplanting was pretty easy and problem free. Not sure if im over watering the hydroton, or not watering enough.

Compared to root growth in aeroponics, as I used to grow in. The root's haven't grown that much, but if it's due to lag of oxygen or they just havn't had to search for the water.

Normaly I would leave the foil on the RW cubes, pot it in a small netpot with a handfull of hydroton to block light and keep it stabil.
The plastic foil on the cube, would help it not getting soaked by the misters.

Next round of clones, I think I might try and root in something else then RW cubes.
For now I have remove the foil, cut back 50% on waterings and they will now only get two waterings a day.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Plants are back under the light, I labled each plant with a kalvin marker. So I won't get them mixed up, when I take them out for what ever reason.

Ec 1.4
pH 5.7

Health have improved a lot all over, root's look healthy and the color is good.
Still laggin a little growth, but maybe I am just impatient.
If it was a lag of light, wouldn't they be streached and pale?

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I think you could stand to get those LED's a little closer. Won't hurt a thing.

How heavy are the pots? Are the plants actually drinking? Maybe a change in the frequency of watering is needed until they catch up...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I think you could stand to get those LED's a little closer. Won't hurt a thing.

How heavy are the pots? Are the plants actually drinking? Maybe a change in the frequency of watering is needed until they catch up...

I get a lot of different input, right now I don't wanna change the lights.
Nntill I have given it a fair amount of time, to see if the last advice I got on light position was good or bad.

I really appreciate all the input I get!

The pot's don't really get heavy, it's hydroton so it holds moisture but all esses water run's off. Im not really able to tell a weight difference, between them as it's only 1 gal pots.

I could try and weigh em, and see how big a difference there is.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
You should aim for 50watt per foot square.

Id agree with you for HPS, id aim for 40-50 watt/sqft

But all the research I have done, a lot points towards you can go with less wattage for LED. Again there are many claims, some say 50% others 75-80% less watt's.

Naturally I start small and will move my watt/sqft up, if my cheap china LED's aint up to a band LED made for horticulture's preformance.
Hope is higher then expectations, but to create a base line. I started out on a bare minimum, of how I know a 5000K MH can preform at 35 watt/sqft.

I'll be very surpriced if these LED's can do the same as samsung lm651c chips.
But for the price, I can buy 2 or 3 times as many stips. And still not be near, what id end up paying for Samsung chips.
I might very well end up around 50 Watt/sqft, before I get the grow rate im looking for.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Another couple of weeks and that gnome is going to be hiding in a forest. :tiphat:

I hope man, i hope or he'll risk getting evicted!

It's not all fun a giggles, in Palindromes cabinet!
His hat is already chiped, and it would suck for him if someone dropped him.

:smokey:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Short update, after I haven't been home a few days.

Plants in flower is looking great, no signs of bud rot and they are staring to look ripe. Last 6 plants are going down tomorrow, and im off again for the rest of my vacation.

Veg closet is looking okay, they had been using a good amount of water. I ended up changing the res before I left, left them with a Ec at 1.6 and pH of 5.7
Ec was up at 1.8 and pH was down around 5.4, topped the res off and will see where it's at once the plants have been watered.
After topping it read 1.5 Ec and 6.2 pH

It's starting to show, what spectrum promotes the most healthy looking plants in veg.
Keep in mind, the lights on the right side is running on bigger drivers!

Still the plants to the far left, under the 6500K 12V strips, on a small driver looks better in their color. Then the plants under 4000K 24V on a larger driver, and specialy the cheese is looking to be struggeling the most under the 3 and 4000K lights.

In Growth and grow structure for moms, so far the 6 and 8000K 24V strips are looking to be winnig as well.
Once I get the drivers im missing, I'll make clones and trim them all down. And see if there is gonna be any changes, once the 3000K and 6500K 12V strips get's some more juice.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
A cheesy bouquet from me to all of you, to show my love to you all!

9 weeks

Next time I think I'll try and run em for 10 weeks!

Latest posts

Latest posts