What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrient uptake questions

Right, I was going to change out my res for a fresh solution - purely because I feel like ppm's of each individual nutrient could be well off over the course of 3 or 4 weeks

Now that's going on the "plants only uptake what they want" style of thinking and advice given on such forums..

Which begs the question - if plants only take what they want out of nutrient solution, why do we have such problems as nutrient burn/toxicity?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Right, I was going to change out my res for a fresh solution - purely because I feel like ppm's of each individual nutrient could be well off over the course of 3 or 4 weeks

Now that's going on the "plants only uptake what they want" style of thinking and advice given on such forums..

Which begs the question - if plants only take what they want out of nutrient solution, why do we have such problems as nutrient burn/toxicity?
Passive, Ionic Uptake. It's what regulates fruits and vegetables through a cool and groovy organic process.

Cannabis? It's a hyper/dynamic accumulator and sucks up nearly anything it can touch. It has additional pathways of uptake, besides passive/ionic. High quality cannabis is about providing a balance of what the plant needs, in only the quantities it can reasonably convert at the time. :tiphat: Should your nutrient profile have been balanced to begin with (something along the lines of Lucas or very similar), there wouldn't be any need to change the solution. I run one flowering res for 3 months, till the changeout at the end. Top offs are pure r/o, pH adjusts are done with only nutrients.

The same also applies to organics. What the plant needs in a balanced mix, only amounts the plant can convert at the time.

I'm not sure if I need to change or Not, more just for my own peace of mind. I throw flairform 2-2-6 at it with a little extra pk as a supplement, without any more thought about what it needs or wants, unless I see deficiency which is rare. Could be wasting my time with the extra pk but hey, quality is excellent and yields aren't too bad..

Farm Hero

I never really understood how folks can go months without a res change but I've heard it many times.

I cannot go more than 14 days max without a res change. I know it's ready for a change when the aeration pump comes on and there is a slight fermented vegetable odor.

As the plants progress thru flower they use more nutrients faster and the res gets changed every 7 to 10 days depending on when I smell the ferment.

The main rule i've always heard was that when you have added back 50% or more topoff water, then it is probably time for a res change. Plus, res changes are a great time to do a flush of your media with plain water.

Best of luck

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not so much in veg (unless you re vegging a bunch of plants) but definitely in bloom

Also female plants dump a bunch of crap into the rez causing pH and imbalanced nutrients

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I never really understood how folks can go months without a res change but I've heard it many times.

I cannot go more than 14 days max without a res change. I know it's ready for a change when the aeration pump comes on and there is a slight fermented vegetable odor.

As the plants progress thru flower they use more nutrients faster and the res gets changed every 7 to 10 days depending on when I smell the ferment.

The main rule i've always heard was that when you have added back 50% or more topoff water, then it is probably time for a res change. Plus, res changes are a great time to do a flush of your media with plain water.

Best of luck
I run DWC, constant aeration. The res is clear and clean at day 70+. ;)

Pet Flora said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not so much in veg (unless you re vegging a bunch of plants) but definitely in bloom

Also female plants dump a bunch of crap into the rez causing pH and imbalanced nutrients
Haven't seen this happen in 16 years of hydro. I use balanced nute mixes (close to Lucas) and Lucas res management methods. pH and ppm are rock solid predictable all through flower, right up to the flush. :tiphat:[/FONT]

Latest posts

Latest posts