What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL fell & kind of broke stem, but also burnt it. Any advice welcome.

Natural

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a good night!
I'm kinda stumped here on what I should do with one of my girls that has a damaged stem from a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent that accidentally fell over while I was mixing some soil; it was touching the plant for maybe 5 minutes at most.

This happened 2 nights ago and the top of thr plant hasn't wilted, so I'm guessing the stem is still able to deliver some food to the top.
I'm not sure if I should try to let it heal or if I should snip the top, root it, and then grow out the growth below the broken stem. I'd prefer not to cut the top because my other plants are all at a uniform height & it'd just br a but of a hassle.

Here are some pictures, I'm sorry for the quality, I'm using an older phone.

The top:
picture.php

Middle:
picture.php

And the worst burnt/shrivled part:
picture.php

Again, I'm really sorry for the crappy pictures. I'd love to hear any advice on what you think I should do... thank you all... this forum is a lifesaver.

Peace & love to all of you :tiphat:

iTarzan

Keep the injured stem splinted and straight. It will thicken and heal at the injured area. IMHO that plant will be fine.

Natural

Thank you very much, iTarzan. I've had broken branches and stems before, but I've never had it actually shrivel up like that.

It's still very fragile, I want to transplant but I think she'll need a week to heal or so. Oh well, lesson learned.

Have a great day!

Farm Hero

I've had outdoor plants torn up by thunderstorms, would just pick some prairie grass and find a twig for a splint, using the prairie grass as string to tie the splint to the stem.

All natural plant repair and it works

Best of luck on your garden

Natural

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

The weird thing about this broken stem is that the light sat on the plant for approx. 5 minutes, so plant tissue was actually burnt worse than I previously thought.

I was looking closely at it and could see the top just slowly dying with each day so I chopped her head off and splayed her branches below in hopes of quick growth. (That sounded a bit morbid & dirty, didn't it? Ha)

I'll have to take a picture; she's enjoying her new 5 gallon home and the top portion that had to be snipped is sitting in water trying to root.

Anyways, thanks again. I hope everyone is having a lovely day!