What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Germination Machine

Morphote

Veteran
It may also be helpful to re-wet the sponges if need be.

Shouldn't need to do that. The lids (one on the inside container, one on the outside container) effectively seal in moisture, seeds use very little water, and the aquarium heater keeps the water in the outside container warm enough to produce adequate humidity levels. Sponges should stay warm and wet for a very long time.

M.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I understand it, the larger container has the lid off. Just the smaller one has the lid on. I am gonna try this as my paper towel method has not been working very well for the last two grow.

Morphote

Veteran
Going back I see now that you are correct. I saw two lids so I assumed both were used. Also, I noticed that (in the example given) even the inner lid is not secured tightly to the inside container, but just placed on top. Obviously both methods will work, but I put both lids on, sealing the inner lid and the outer lid (outer lid doesn't really seal, but it does snap on). My thinking is 1. the aquarium heater operates more efficiently this way and keeps water from evaporating 2. sealing the inner lid and raising the temperature creates a sort of pressure cooker effect and 3. it helps guard against any contamination (microbial or otherwise). And, for the record, I did lose 1 Kali Mist seedling but I think it was my fault. I believe I may have broken the taproot removing the seedling from the sponge. The other 5 are doing great though. Next I will be popping some DJ Short Blueberry from 2010.

M.

Samson420

I think its safe to assume the less light the better so putting both lids will prevent light, but if the main container holding the water is clear you may want to spray it with Krylon Fusion for Plastic (spray) so no light can get in.

at the same time I don't believe some light will prevent the beans from popping.

or you can just cover it with a towel if you want to block out any light, which is the easiest way.

Morphote

Veteran
Light has not been a factor. Both of my containers are clear plastic and I've had no problems.

M.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
This is a great technique for germinating fresh seeds but it might not work well with very old seeds.

Very old seeds should preferably be placed directly in soil or in a worm bin with ideal temperature and moisture levels.

Works well for me with seeds ordered 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't tried anything older than that.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Putting the Machine to the test:

Putting the Machine to the test:

:bump:

I grow from seed. For over twenty years now. Popped many seeds over those years. I would estimate my strike rate to be at least 95%, but more likely around 98%. Admittedly the vast majority of those seeds were not what most would consider old. And more than a few were seeds of my own making (read: from chucked pollen). Through all those seeds, I can only point to one breeder whose seeds gave me dismal results. Would love to know if they would've popped in this machine...

But that's neither here nor there. I am here now because I recently tried to pop four seeds from a pack of Lapis Mountain Indica. It's twelve days later and there's no action, though I haven't given up hope and they're still in paper towels...

So I think I am going to give this machine a whirl for the remaining six. But I have a few questions for the advocates out there of this method. If you don't soak your seeds before using the machine, do you at least wash them first? Either with a diluted bleach or H2O2? Any scuffing recommended first for older seeds stored in unknown conditions? Any prep work whatsoever? Is Organik's point that this method may not be ideal for older seeds valid?

Man it will seem weird not soaking seeds first...

beta

Veteran
:bump:

I grow from seed. For over twenty years now. Popped many seeds over those years. I would estimate my strike rate to be at least 95%, but more likely around 98%. Admittedly the vast majority of those seeds were not what most would consider old. And more than a few were seeds of my own making (read: from chucked pollen). Through all those seeds, I can only point to one breeder whose seeds gave me dismal results. Would love to know if they would've popped in this machine...

But that's neither here nor there. I am here now because I recently tried to pop four seeds from a pack of Lapis Mountain Indica. It's twelve days later and there's no action, though I haven't given up hope and they're still in paper towels...

So I think I am going to give this machine a whirl for the remaining six. But I have a few questions for the advocates out there of this method. If you don't soak your seeds before using the machine, do you at least wash them first? Either with a diluted bleach or H2O2? Any scuffing recommended first for older seeds stored in unknown conditions? Any prep work whatsoever? Is Organik's point that this method may not be ideal for older seeds valid?

Man it will seem weird not soaking seeds first...

I used this machine with incredible success on 15+ year old Jack Herer seeds. I soaked first in a mix of fulvic acid, seaweed extract, and a drop of bleach to disinfect. imo the bleach is very important with old seeds, they need extra time that mold and pathogens will steal from you if things aren't sterile. It's the whole reason people recommend tissue culture for really really old seeds.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I used this machine with incredible success on 15+ year old Jack Herer seeds. I soaked first in a mix of fulvic acid, seaweed extract, and a drop of bleach to disinfect. imo the bleach is very important with old seeds, they need extra time that mold and pathogens will steal from you if things aren't sterile. It's the whole reason people recommend tissue culture for really really old seeds.

I agree about disinfecting. I have always soaked in a solution of distilled water, H2O2, Maxicrop and a drop or two of Superthrive. I think I will perform Chimera’s bleach wash, then soak in my usual solution before putting into the machine. Maybe I’ll put three directly into the machine and prep the other three to see if there’s any difference.

Thanks beta, it’s appreciated. Success on seeds of that age is what I wanted to hear.