What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 liter bottles

j.denver

I recently started using 2 liter bottles for pots and was wondering if it mattered that they are clear. There are a bunch of roots that are in direct light and i was wondering if this was going to be a problem.

Thanks

dobo

Won't do any harm to the plants but those roots that are exposed to the light will die which in turn restricts the amount of nutrients the plants can take up.

mayorofthdesert

I'm using clear containers & i just wrapped some black plastic around them secured with big rubber bands. It's kind of neat to take a peak in on the roots every so often. The visible roots seemed to do just fine without the plastic but I started growing some algae in the coco/perlite mix, so i decided to cut the light from getting in. I planned on doing that from the beginning but I got kinda intrigued when the roots exposed to light seemed unbothered... To be fair, I'm only using 150s and the canopy is pretty dense, so it wasn't very intense light.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Good tip, Hank!

Just put some beans in cut down 2.2 litre plastic milk bottles - run out of the regular little pots. Foggy white plastic, but I'm gonna duct tape 'em tonight now!

oregon024

Thats the trick cut black trash bags if you don'y have rubber bands use tape.I use this method with icecream buckets.Leaving roots open to light is a no no.

grow1620

I don't have any issues with clear containers. It's nice being able to see the roots develop. I've considered buying some black socks to put them in though.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the semi clear solo cups and 1quart paint mixing containers all the time without problems. I watch the roots grow too, like grow1620. I think the idea that roots don't like light comes from DWC and the tendancy for algae to grow with N in the water.

Xtrail

I used clear container,no harm at all,so if you dont have alternatives,dont be afraid to use them.Good luck!!!

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I've done side by side comparisons between a clear 2L and one covered in panda film. No difference. Others here like Dr Bud would vouch for this as well.

supermanlives

Veteran
work fine for me. roots dont seem to mind diffused light. wasnt it disney that had a hydro setup on conveyor where light hit the roots and the rotmass went through a spray booth.? the lower light levels dont seem to hurt any

HansHanf

rebmeM
Veteran
I would recommend something more light tight than regular Duct Tape. Use Aluminum Duct Tape.

^^^ agree with you on that , but taping 100 bottles with aluminium duct can be very expensive..
alu duct is four times costier than duct tape if i buy it local..
maybe some duct tape and aluminium foil :chin:
1 strip duct on top of bottle
1 sheet of alu in the middle
1 strip duct to fix it @ bottom of the bottle

no blame on you Texas, good idea @all, just my :2cents:

regards
hans

Gebr'el

question....would spray painting em harm em if you paint first w\tops on first before cutting em shorter? just a thought...

Latest posts

Latest posts