What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant seems to not be growing

Raver90e

Thanks for the reply!! Yeah ur right i think i need more faith than anything i am one nervous first timer grower i just dont want her to get hurt

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Hi everyone day 16 now and i have put a carbon filter and fan into the tent still waiting for thermometer please look at the pics and let me know how shes looking and what else i can do.. havent fed yet shall i start??

start feeding light feeding when you see the cotyledons start turning yellow. cotyledons are the first round leaves all the way at the bottom the first leaves you saw after it came out of the ground. or assuming you already have food in your soil mix then wait till you see the lowest oldest leaf on your plant start turning yellow. or if your plant starts looking pale green like not light green i mean like towards yellow. any yellowing is usually a sign of hunger.

Raver90e

start feeding light feeding when you see the cotyledons start turning yellow. cotyledons are the first round leaves all the way at the bottom the first leaves you saw after it came out of the ground. or assuming you already have food in your soil mix then wait till you see the lowest oldest leaf on your plant start turning yellow. or if your plant starts looking pale green like not light green i mean like towards yellow. any yellowing is usually a sign of hunger.
The soil i used was biobizz lightmix i was told it can provide the baby with what it needs for 2-3 weeks. So basically at this point i should wait for either the cotys or lower true leaves yellow. Got it, thanks a lot!

Raver90e

Day 17 update

Day 17 update

Heres another update day 17, leaf tips were curling a bit so i moved light a bit further away

Attachments

• 20160903_175730.jpg
    20160903_175730.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 12

corky1968

Veteran
The soil looks a little dry.

Did you water enough until it came out of the bottom holes yest?

If not do it once in a while. You can now slowly start adding nutes.

:tiphat:

Raver90e

The soil looks a little dry.

Did you water enough until it came out of the bottom holes yest?

If not do it once in a while. You can now slowly start adding nutes.

:tiphat:
Yea the last time i watered there was water running out the holes but not a whole lot.. at the moment the top layer is dry but 1 2 inches deep it is moist.

Unagi

Hi raver90! I didnt fart in my growroom on my first grow, i was worried if the plants could handle my gasses. My point being that worrying about any and all things are a very good thing! So long as you dont act on every little thing your magical brain can come up with. It will help you to give you that extra kick you need to get this grow to the finish line! So to sum it up: worrying good, if not acted upon every worrie :)

That being said, i think you need to water more often and maybe a little less at a time to begin with. The seedlings are very sensetive at that stage in their life and if you go 5 days between watering it might allow the soil to dry too much and might be drying out roots in the process. I see your pot is almost 10L aswell and its quite big for a seedling to be watering untill run off, growth might have been stunted because the plant didnt have the rootball to support drinking a full 10L container worth of water.

So to sum it up, i dont think a seedling likes being too dry and then oversaturated. In the beginning they need a moist enviroment so the roots go searching for food and water to expand their growth. Once the roots are well established you can water untill 15-20% run off.

I suggest that you water a once or twice per day. If you decide to try it out i would do it like this. Carefully pour water in a circle around the plant, make sure u dont saturate the medium 100%, pour slowly to avoid that. Then make sure its always moist but not soggy or too wet in the soil around the seedling. Gradually day by day you can make this circle larger and larger untill the roots are well established. If the water spreads all over the top of your soil just moisten the top first wait 5 minutes and continue watering in a circle around the precious seedling :)

I also noticed you said that you cut the soilmix with some perlite. This might mean you have to start feeding earlier than the recommended time suggested by the soil manufacturer.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Raver90e

Hi raver90! I didnt fart in my growroom on my first grow, i was worried if the plants could handle my gasses. My point being that worrying about any and all things are a very good thing! So long as you dont act on every little thing your magical brain can come up with. It will help you to give you that extra kick you need to get this grow to the finish line! So to sum it up: worrying good, if not acted upon every worrie :)

That being said, i think you need to water more often and maybe a little less at a time to begin with. The seedlings are very sensetive at that stage in their life and if you go 5 days between watering it might allow the soil to dry too much and might be drying out roots in the process. I see your pot is almost 10L aswell and its quite big for a seedling to be watering untill run off, growth might have been stunted because the plant didnt have the rootball to support drinking a full 10L container worth of water.

So to sum it up, i dont think a seedling likes being too dry and then oversaturated. In the beginning they need a moist enviroment so the roots go searching for food and water to expand their growth. Once the roots are well established you can water untill 15-20% run off.

I suggest that you water a once or twice per day. If you decide to try it out i would do it like this. Carefully pour water in a circle around the plant, make sure u dont saturate the medium 100%, pour slowly to avoid that. Then make sure its always moist but not soggy or too wet in the soil around the seedling. Gradually day by day you can make this circle larger and larger untill the roots are well established. If the water spreads all over the top of your soil just moisten the top first wait 5 minutes and continue watering in a circle around the precious seedling :)

I also noticed you said that you cut the soilmix with some perlite. This might mean you have to start feeding earlier than the recommended time suggested by the soil manufacturer.

If you have any questions just let me know!
I cannot thank you enough for such a detailed reply i am going to use this info, in fact today i am watering her so i am going to introduce her first bit of of feed (teeny amount) again i am so grateful for the help

Raver90e

Update

Update

So its day 17 (she broke soil on the 19th august i have been effing up with dates but finally got it right now) i watered yesterday with 1.5 litre of tap water that has been left without a lid for 3 4 days in my room then mixed with 0.5ml of biobizz bio grow. She has defo grown but some leaves seem to curling up.. ill send pics and any advice given will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160905_092452.jpg
    20160905_092452.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20160905_092428.jpg
    20160905_092428.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 8
  • 20160905_092443.jpg
    20160905_092443.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160905_092435.jpg
    20160905_092435.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160905_092533.jpg
    20160905_092533.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 10

Raver90e

So its day 17 (she broke soil on the 19th august i have been effing up with dates but finally got it right now) i watered yesterday with 1.5 litre of tap water that has been left without a lid for 3 4 days in my room then mixed with 0.5ml of biobizz bio grow. She has defo grown but some leaves seem to curling up.. ill send pics and any advice given will be appreciated!
Forgot to mention had a decent run off from the watering still waiting for the bloody temperature gauge

Raver90e

Quick questions

Quick questions

Just a quick one if anyone can help. So far i have doing 18/6 on these autos and at day 17 now im wondering when/if i should change the light cycle to 12/12. I understand autos dont care so much about light cycles this is why im a bit confused on this matter. Also i put the temperature gauge in the tent for about an hour or two and the reading was 90F in 39F out and 39% RH. It was under the light by the pot so i have now placed it above the light to see what i get. Any wisdom will be appreciated so much thank you all so far as i couldnt have done this alone.

Unagi

The way those leaves are curling (from picture of update day 17) happens to me when i get hotspots in my canopy or if the ambient temps are high. Do you have a fan blowing across the plant? Or any fan blowing the warmth from the lights away from your plant?

How's the temperature at top of the plant. I suggest leaving the thermometer there a while to get a good read. If you got a gun to measure with its instant tho.

I usually hang a few thermometers around my room at diffrent hights.

Unagi

I just re-read your thread and saw that you do have a fan blowing on the lamp and plant. What kind of fan is it and how is it cooling both plant and lamp?

I use seperate fans for my canopy and lights.

The fans on the lights are pointed to blow towards my extraction fan.

And the canopy fans are there to ensure there are none of those hotspots.

Raver90e

I just re-read your thread and saw that you do have a fan blowing on the lamp and plant. What kind of fan is it and how is it cooling both plant and lamp?

I use seperate fans for my canopy and lights.

The fans on the lights are pointed to blow towards my extraction fan.

And the canopy fans are there to ensure there are none of those hotspots.

Thanks for the reply, its a small desk fan on the highest speed its angled to face directly at the bulb balanced on the pot and indirectly hitting the fans, then above the reflector and below the carbon filter i have a clip on 6 inch fan facing down towards the reflector, what can i do to lower temps? I will attach pics of both fan set ups and you will be able to see how far my 200w cfl is from the canopy maybe its too close?

Attachments

• 20160906_113417.jpg
    20160906_113417.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160906_113428.jpg
    20160906_113428.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 8

Raver90e

Update from today(pics)

Update from today(pics)

Temps have dropped from 90F to 86F humidity is 49% raised light a few more inches higher as cupping of leaf edges has not subsided yet

Attachments

• 20160906_140728.jpg
    20160906_140728.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 13