What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Techniques for Keeping a Male in Vegetative State

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
I have had this special male for about a year and a half and am noticing that its getting harder and harder to keep it in vegetative state. I use to be able to keep it in veg solidly on a 18/6 or 24 hour light cycle but now once it gets slightly root bound it wants to produce pollen sacs on any light schedule.

What are some techniques for keeping my male in veg? Is there something that can be foliar sprayed on it like a hormone or something to keep it from producing pollen sacs in a vegetative light cycle? I don't want to lose this male.

potty1

Even in a vegetative state males will still show pollen sacks at each node just the same as a female would show pistils whilst still in veg.
This is not indicative of flowering,just sexual maturity.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Take cuttings and root them, less stress on the system than keeping
a rooted plant for months on end.

I have kept males and females for years with this method.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Even in a vegetative state males will still show pollen sacks at each node just the same as a female would show pistils whilst still in veg.
This is not indicative of flowering,just sexual maturity.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying?

I should be more clear. The normal pollen sacs like how females show pistils in veg is manageable but what im ending up with is the entire apical meristem turning to pollen sacs. When all the tips of new growth are turning into clusters of pollen sacs its tough to manage.

Take cuttings and root them, less stress on the system than keeping
a rooted plant for months on end.

I have kept males and females for years with this method.

That has been my go to method as of late. I just have a bunch of clones of the male and re clone often.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
but now once it gets slightly root bound it wants to produce pollen sacs on any light schedule..
Fix is quite simple, get rid of the root bound state. Look up Bonsai Mums, specifically the guide by OT1. He shows you how you can keep 12 mums under a two lamp, 4' shoplight. :tiphat:

Trim the plant back to 2-3 nodes on each branch and let it grow for a couple days to a week. Then EVENLY carve off 50% of the root ball with a sharp knife, which means the same number of inches off the bottom and all sides of the root ball except the top.

Re-pot with fresh soil and do this again when that soil is root bound. Usually a few months.
:tiphat:

DenverJim

I have been using Florel which turns them into females. i just paint the branches every week not the leaves. They turn female and stop producing pollen. Better living through chemistry. this stuff is used on many crops. Its quite harmless. How many poisons do you consume every day without harm. For instance there is 10ml of menthol in a glass of orange juice.