What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strawberry Hill Gardens 2020

Tynehead Tom

wow the summer heat finally hit and been holding in the 30 to 35C range.

Installed some mods to the greenhouse to give myself space to light dep the big plants. That is working perfectly. I installed 6 inch aluminum ducting in the ceiling running the full length of the the greenhouse. Hooked up an inline 450cfm and that is working awesome to keep good airflow. I need another oscilating fan so will work on adding that. Plants are loving the weather right now and taking off.
Everything is flowering except for 2 plants in 18gallon totes and the two plants in the holes in the ground. I am a week behind schedule for flipping those but I think the extra week really set them up nicely for the flowering weeks ahead.

Some crappy news. 8 plants decided to hermie out on me so they have been culled. They were seeds from pollen chucks i had high hopes for. Odd thing is the other people that have grown these same seeds have not had any problems. I am thinking they do not like the stresses I have been making them endure and the crazy weather swings we have had her with temps 12C and 5C over night and then 35C the next day and 12C over night.
anyhow, culling 8 plants at week 3 frees up some space for more sunlight penetration and more airflow so whatever.
In reality it is a potential 1/2 to 3/4 pound I will not be harvesting of my 6 pound season goal.
anyhow, just gotta load up some pics to my gallery and I'll post up some pics.

oh and speaking of pollen chucks..... I found a simply stunning example of a Long Valley Royal #7(emerald mnt) with the strong lavender fuel smell when you rub off some of her sugar leaf trichomes. I had to hit her with the pollen I collected last year from a stunner male. Also had to hit a couple lower branches with Biker Kush V1 (karma) pollen...... just had to ya know? hehehe
The other pollen chuck i did was on a short fat extremely frosty (week4) and highly odiferous Purple Lazerlite (antenna) ..... hit her with the long valley royal pollen and the biker V1 pollen.
I was excilted when I saw withdrawn pistils today when i pulled them from thier separate pollinating boxes and sprayed them down.

Tynehead Tom

how about those pics eh?

here's a shot of the ventilation piping running out of the light dep shed and add-on. This set up is working great!!
picture.php

Fire Alien Kush..... this plant is getting big LOL and I'm not sure how much she is gonna stretch. Worse case scenario I will have to bend the top so she will clear the entrance to the light dep area I added onto the shed with black/white poly.
day 9 of flowering today
picture.php

and the Glue bush. The top stopped growing in height and the plant is just bushing out like crazy. I'm stoked for this plant and can't wait to see how she stacks and fills out in my garden. Like the Fire Alien, she is at 9 days of flowering by light dep. Fed only water as she is in the Tom Hill organic mix. I am adding teaspoon gypsum and 2 tablespoons Hygrozyme every watering, which is 3 gallons every 2 days. I see roots poking out the side drain holes on the bottoms of the 18gallon totes so will be adding a 5 gallon deep watering once a week. Plants in the foreground with the frosty buds are SF Valley Breath (on left) Darlin's Net from seed (on right) hitting week 6 of light dep.
Glue
picture.php

hmmmm..... what else....
check out this Grandma's Hashplant. She is probably in my top 5 right now for favorite smoke. She is also a very easy plant to grow feed wise but here she is also in the tom hill mix..... but 65 gallons of it. She has literally exploded with the hot weather and 5 gallons every 3 days of water/gypsum/hygrozyme. I am 2 weeks behind in flowering her now but whatever..... will get the net on her and flowering started in next couple days I promise LOL
picture.php

gorilla ganja

Looks like they are loving the organic mix. Could be the healthest looking plants I've seen you run in the greenhouse. If I remember correct you used a peat blend for the last runs except maybe the big girls in the ground?
Anyway looks like flowering is in full mode on most. Do you light dep the whole time or stop mid August or so?
Whats humidity like in there? It's crazy humid here.

Tynehead Tom

Looks like they are loving the organic mix. Could be the healthest looking plants I've seen you run in the greenhouse. If I remember correct you used a peat blend for the last runs except maybe the big girls in the ground?
Anyway looks like flowering is in full mode on most. Do you light dep the whole time or stop mid August or so?
Whats humidity like in there? It's crazy humid here.

The plants in the 18 gallon totes (5) and the two in the ground are in the tom hill soil mix , or my version of it anyways.
All the rest of the plants are in grow bags and that is a mix of Promix HP , with addition of gypsum and dolopril. It's usually around week 5 that the grower will start to seeproblems if things aren't all groovy and some of the plants are starting to misbehave with some yellowing out. Could be PH related but I dunno..... just gonna push through as long as the majority of them look good. It's a multi strain run so sometimes it's not so much about dialing it in as it is about riding it out and trying to make the adjustments this week that will be visible next week.
For most of the plants they will get light dep to harvest but once september rolls around I will stop manual light dep around mid september.
For me it is the early morning sun I have to light dep from. The evening sun angle this time of year has the plants drooping and ready for sleep around 8pm.
My light dep schedule goes like this:
8:15 am I open the light dep area and start moving plants out. Takes me about 20 minutes as long as there is no watering involved.
7:40pm I start moving plants into the light dep area, finishing by 8pm. This usually gives me enough time to water anything that needs it.
Humidity in the greenhouse was running average 87% but now with the fans set up I'm running in the 50 to 60 range.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Outdoor even in a greenhouse will teach you to bob and weave and be ready for anything. lookin great in there, really hope the fall conditions are favorable for you.

All those crosses sound like fire, best wishes for a fantastic harvest!

Tynehead Tom

it's always a bumpy start to summer here and this year was no different.
One thing I notice this year is a serious lack of bees/hornets/wasps. I have a yard full of wildflowers and they are eerily devoid of acitivity. Same in my greenhouse where every year my plants get colonized by encarsia wasps that feed on plant pests like spider mites and such. I have been trying to rid myself of mites since winter and now I'm dealing with them again in the greenhouse. I am really missing those little wasps !!
I have it handled and will just up my game with morning foilars of with water/alcohol/h202 sprays with a pinch of black strap molasses.

I have a few crosses planned for this greenhouse run so I have some interesting stuff to work thru over the winter. I think next years greenhouse will be all clones so I have some predictability in my harvest. I like these pheno hunt/test grows in the sunshine though and I really prefer to make seeds in the sunshine too vs indoor lights. Not that i think outdoor made seeds are better..... it's just easier to pull and isolate plants for the pollinating procedure.

The Purplelazerlite x LVRK and X Biker V1 were just on a whim and decided while i was drinking in the aromas from that particular female while i was carrying her out of the light dep shed.
other planned pollinations in the coming weeks....
Fire Alien F2
Fire Alien x Biker V1
Fire Alien x Fire OGKB
OGKB 2.0 x Fire Alien
OGKB 2.0 x Biker V1
Grandma's Hashplant x Biker V1

not sure if there is any others I will do but those should give me plenty of fire to play with this winter I'm thinkin

mikeross

Wow... how did I miss this journal. Great read so far and really looking forward to updates especially how that Fire Alien stacks.

You have an impressive stable of genetics. What's the background on the Fire Alien and Gorilla Bubble BX3? OGR and Tonygreens seeds? Are they selected from seed runs or clone only?

Thanks again for the license info... appreciate it.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

everything in the garden is from seed except for the grandma's hashplant, gg4, ogkb 2.0 and the darlin's net 6 gun cut, those are clones.
The Fire Alien is Og Raskal gear and the Gorilla Bubble BX3 is tony green gear , from seed.
I'm gonna clone that fire alien though. She was selected from 18 seeds.

Tynehead Tom

well.... another week has slid on by.
Getting cold here at night and many of my plant are turning purple as a result. Garden looks really cool as the different plants start showing thier colors.
Too many different plants to take pics of so I posted some in various threads.
Here is todays garden shots
Left side
picture.php

right side
picture.php

here's a good shot of how I light dep.
These 2 plants are the only ones in the ground. Grandma's Hashplant and OGKB 2.0. I started tarping them 4 days ago. The tarps are made by doubling up 2 10x12 black tarps as using only 1 does not completely block the light. I just lay them down flat and tape the edges every foot or so. These get rolled up and stored out of the way during the day. I tried this method last year and it worked extremely well. Hidden from view inside the frames are 50cfm bathroom fans that turn on at night to keep the humidity inside the tarp at bay.
picture.php

and a shot of the light dep shed entrance I extended with black white poly and a drop sheet/door to create a light dep space for the big plants in totes after I put all the small plants in the shed itself.
picture.php

Tynehead Tom

Here's some plant pics and a good example of the purpling going on.
Mandelbrots Long Valley Royal Kush 7 (purple/green) and Bubba Royale (p98 bubba x Long Valley Royal) the darker purple

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tynehead Tom

K.... now for some of my beans...

I took the Mendo Breath clone and hit it with pollen from an exceptional Scoutbreath male and here is a couple of the girls in my test grow.
Let me first say, I am super pleased with the results.
There are 4 or 5 of these girls in the greenhouse and they all look near identical in thier leaf expressions, structure, frost and smells. The only real difference is the one that has suddenly gone almost completely purple from the chilly nights in the light dep shed.
Mendo Scout
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mikeross

Sorry, never did an outdoor season and really don't know to much, but aren't those plants stacking pretty early in the season?

The MLVRK7 is a beautiful girl for sure... lovely colors.

Tynehead Tom

Sorry, never did an outdoor season and really don't know to much, but aren't those plants stacking pretty early in the season?

The MLVRK7 is a beautiful girl for sure... lovely colors.

due to my location, I have to light dep my plants to get them flowering way earlier than normal so they finish by end of sept/mid october.
Even then I will need heaters mid september (or earlier) to keep them warm enough to finish well.
Problem for me here is that days are so short by the time october arrives, and sun hits directly on the whole greenhouse from 10am to dusk. Problem is by mid october that only gives the plants maybe 6 hours of direct sun so bud formation really starts to slow down.
I've learned that starting them inside and getting a head start, allows me to have a decent season if I stagger my plants using light dep.
This greenhouse run is divided into 5 batches of plants. Each batch starting light dep flowering a couple weeks apart.
Batch 1 started flowering June 20th
Batch 5 started flowering Aug 6th
I allow 10 weeks flowering for each batch though some may be earlier finishing.