What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 Gal vs 5 Gal fabric pot yields

Raw710

Hi I have been growing for a while and am conflicted which is better 3 gal or 5 gal fabric pot. There are alot of variables that come into place. Such as the growing space and either running straight coco or mixing with perlite. I know you are suppose to treat the medium like hydro but can run it like soil. So a little bit about my grow I have pretty much unlimited space but as we all know there are only a certain amount we can have. I have an irrigation system where I am able to water as much or as little as i would like. I am currently running 3 gal fabric pot with straight coco and am averaging 10 zips a plant but I know I am able to increase it to over a P with the strains I am running. So if anyone could chime in with experience or ideas about what size pot would be the best for yield I look forward to hearing. Also I am currently running Double Ended HPS but am soon switching over to LED which will make the plants not transpire as much. Again thanks for reading and if I left anything out don't hesitate to let me know so I can better your answer to the forum.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
i like to use 5 gal in soil coz im using biobizz and it has perlite in it plus i add some clay to the bottom of tray

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on what strain(s) growing. Different requirements (roots/height) for different strains.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goddamn....10 zips in a 3 gallon pot? I want to be like you when I grow up. Any pics?

Raw710

Goddamn....10 zips in a 3 gallon pot? I want to be like you when I grow up. Any pics?

Not atm I will try and get some tomorrow I run a perpetual so some are in week 6 right now not very impressive atm LoL.\

Here are a couple of pics of gmo from last round.

Attachments

• 20200418_174311.jpg
    20200418_174311.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200418_174241.jpg
    20200418_174241.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 132

troutman

Seed Whore
I do have both 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots. But never tried them side by side with same strain. If you have the room go with the 5 gallon size.

Raw710

I do have both 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots. But never tried them side by side with same strain. If you have the room go with the 5 gallon size.

yea I am gonna try and do a run with 5 gal. with perlite. I just would like to be able to water multiple times a day without any negative effects with a great yield. But I guess who doesn't wants that.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

The problem with cloth pots is unlike the "conventional" plastic pots, cloth pots come in a myriad of sizes, of the same size. It depends on the mfr.

When I did an "auto run" last year. I was recommended, once I have my 4 serrated leaves, transplant to 5gal (from my normal 4" square pot (which I find perfect for my set up)). I normally use 3gal in a 3x3x6ft tent, which contain 0.52 ft3 (1 gal contains 0.15ft3) 10 gals = 1.5 ft3 That is the standard.

The 5gals (labelled) purchased from the local hydro shop, were smaller than my 3gal pots. Slightly taller perhaps, and I mean slightly, but their diameter was less. I grow in HP promix with an added 20%/volume more perlite. Watering between the 2 was pretty much the same.

Being anally retentive when it comes to "standards" in general, I did come up with a more or less standard with the following 3 charts as reference, keeping in mind that cloth pots aren't tapered so we can expect a larger volume over plastic.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Above 3gal the pots are tapered here. I have never roun into those in the wild.

OTOH, are you confused yet, read this: https://www.growjourney.com/finally-garden-pot-sizes-decoded/#.Xtt146Z7mpo

I wish the world would get on the same standard LOL. We have a US gal, an Imp. gal and wait for it, a trade gal. US=128oz while an Imp.gal is 160oz, which BTW is commensurate with the Imperial measure of a ton 2200 lbs or 2.2 US ton. Being in Canada sucks buffalo balls, as we are bombarded from both sides :(

I hope the helps good buddy. There are brands that are pretty much "accurate". I will be going to the brand that offers what I want. If I want a 5 gal pot, I don't want a facsimile thereof. :tiphat:

Addendum: I still have the undersized 5gl pots that I will use up before I purchase more pots. Waste not, want not!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
While certainly not scientific, I grew 2 x AK-74 Autos last summer in some used fabric pots - 1 x 3 & 1 x 5 gallon. The same feed, water, environment etc. There was no real difference in yield iirc.

The 3 gallon is on the left & it slightly shorter due to the pot height. These were from seed not clones.

picture.php

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
While certainly not scientific, I grew 2 x AK-74 Autos last summer in some used fabric pots - 1 x 3 & 1 x 5 gallon. The same feed, water, environment etc. There was no real difference in yield iirc.

The 3 gallon is on the left & it slightly shorter due to the pot height. These were from seed not clones.

View Image
Interesting, the proof is in the pudding! :) Would it be to much to ask their dimensions? This is important data for those who have ltd grow spaces e.g 7gal pots (which are all over the map as well) do not fit in my 3x3ft tent.

IMHO, volume trumps size any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. So I go by volume (not necessarily) the advertised volume e.g. The std for a 1gal pot is 0.15 ft3. So If you buy a pot advertised at 5gal I am expecting a volume of 0.75 ft3, not a facsimile thereof, or, as close to the std as I can get. So perhaps... someone would need to buy a 7 gal pot (for volume) over a 5 gal pot from company X, as the 5 gal doesn't meet the volumetric standard.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Unfortunately, the pots are gone. Judging by the pictures I have, the 3 g were about 2" less in diameter & as you can see from this pic, much shorter.

picture.php

Edit . . . the 2 on the left are Cheese Auto.

Raw710

The problem with cloth pots is unlike the "conventional" plastic pots, cloth pots come in a myriad of sizes, of the same size. It depends on the mfr.

When I did an "auto run" last year. I was recommended, once I have my 4 serrated leaves, transplant to 5gal (from my normal 4" square pot (which I find perfect for my set up)). I normally use 3gal in a 3x3x6ft tent, which contain 0.52 ft3 (1 gal contains 0.15ft3) 10 gals = 1.5 ft3 That is the standard.

The 5gals (labelled) purchased from the local hydro shop, were smaller than my 3gal pots. Slightly taller perhaps, and I mean slightly, but their diameter was less. I grow in HP promix with an added 20%/volume more perlite. Watering between the 2 was pretty much the same.

Being anally retentive when it comes to "standards" in general, I did come up with a more or less standard with the following 3 charts as reference, keeping in mind that cloth pots aren't tapered so we can expect a larger volume over plastic.

View Image

View Image
View Image
Above 3gal the pots are tapered here. I have never roun into those in the wild.

OTOH, are you confused yet, read this: https://www.growjourney.com/finally-garden-pot-sizes-decoded/#.Xtt146Z7mpo

I wish the world would get on the same standard LOL. We have a US gal, an Imp. gal and wait for it, a trade gal. US=128oz while an Imp.gal is 160oz, which BTW is commensurate with the Imperial measure of a ton 2200 lbs or 2.2 US ton. Being in Canada sucks buffalo balls, as we are bombarded from both sides :(

I hope the helps good buddy. There are brands that are pretty much "accurate". I will be going to the brand that offers what I want. If I want a 5 gal pot, I don't want a facsimile thereof. :tiphat:

Addendum: I still have the undersized 5gl pots that I will use up before I purchase more pots. Waste not, want not!

that is very true with cloth pots they seem like all different sizes. smart pots seem wide and more stout and some off brand ones seem narrower and taller.

Raw710

View Image

great picture it looks like the 3 gallon one maybe shorter but the top looks like it is bigger. the one in 5 gal are slightly smaller but looks like it might have yeilded the same. I would like to figure out with 3 gal vs 5 gal if you had perfect conditions and could give them all the water they wanted if one would yield better than the other or if you could save coco on the 3 gal.

Raw710

smaller pots in coco = more frequent watering = higher yield
:groupwave:

I agree but it does seems like there would be a wall the plant would hit to get you a max in a 3 gal vs 5 gal just really trying to wrap my head around it lol. I know DWC plants get huge but they all have a huge rootball.