What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

rosin presses??????

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
was really courious and wanted to hear what folks thought of some of the good presses on the market? ive never used one of these before and would like to hear everyones opion on brands of presses and plate size???:thank you:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
For personal home use the dab press 3 / 4 ton unit works great. It has the parts to run drip tech if you want. You only need a single PID for both plates, and those units are around $370. Made in china, so watch availability.

Edit - I just checked Dabpress' website and like I suspected, availability is limited. The 6 ton is all that is available, but it looks like an OK deal too. https://www.dabpress.com/collections/hydraulic-rosin-heat-presses

Don't fall for the bags, IMO they aren't needed and just soak up rosin. The smallest pre-puck tube is a nice addition.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ditto on DabPress. From what I have seen, they have the best quality for the best price.

greenluv707

:thinking: i got got some homework to do. thank you very much you guys, this is why i love icmag i love hearing all the different opions from folks its very helpful.:thank you:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For personal home use the dab press 3 / 4 ton unit works great. It has the parts to run drip tech if you want. You only need a single PID for both plates, and those units are around $370. Made in china, so watch availability.

Don't fall for the bags, IMO they aren't needed and just soak up rosin. The pre-puck tube is a nice addition.
^^ that right there ^^

When I saw that I go WTF??? My pressed pucks go into a jar and used for edibles.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
^^ that right there ^^

When I saw that I go WTF??? My pressed pucks go into a jar and used for edibles.

Me also. I will trim the wet edges of the puck with sizzers, and vape that rosin rich material.

I have 2 boxes of 160 bags I will never use. If they were bigger, I might try using them as ABV tea bags to make QWEtoH. But oil isn't my thing.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The bags really only serve one purpose, IME. They DO keep the ending puck size down and in control. I have a number of presses but for the tiny DabPress unit I use the most, the plates are 3"x3". I can press about 3 or 4 grams at one time, max. If I try to press 8 or 10 grams, the puck squishes outside the plates and then, it wicks the rosin back into the puck. You definitely DON'T want your puck squishing outside the plates.

So, If I want to press 8 or 10 grams (or more) at one time, I have to use a bag (or the bigger press. I also have a 5x7).

It's fucking stupid to try to press that much at once in this tiny press. And, I never do it. However if I DID want to do it, I could... with a bag.

I have also used bags for repressing pucks (which I did once or twice just for experimenting purposes).

So, overall, I agree the bags are pretty useless. I did a video showing how this tiny press can do "drip tech" with an 8 or 10 gram load. But, that's not the normal way I do things. 2 or 3 grams per press works for me. And, I get between 10 and 30% rosin in return.

I also used some 25u bags to clean some rosin. I put the shitty, dirty rosin in the bag and press very lightly at low temp and it cleaned up the rosin very nicely.

Just my input.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Their smallest round pre-puck tube is about perfect for their 3x5 press. The height of the puck is about max for the gap when the plates are open, and the squished puck stays within the confines of the plates, if centered at the beginning. So like I said, a good accessory for the small press.

One trick I have learned is to have a piece of parchment about the size of the plates, and put it under the folded parchment the material is in. That way when the most solventy juice goes through the folded parchment, it doesn't get the hot bottom plate sticky.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Yep, what he ^^^^ said. Agree 100%. Pre-press is a must. And, double layer parchment keeps the plates clean. I always thought a square pre-press made more sense for square plates but, I have never seen a square pre-press that small. The round works great.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The bags really only serve one purpose, IME. They DO keep the ending puck size down and in control. I have a number of presses but for the tiny DabPress unit I use the most, the plates are 3"x3". I can press about 3 or 4 grams at one time, max. If I try to press 8 or 10 grams, the puck squishes outside the plates and then, it wicks the rosin back into the puck. You definitely DON'T want your puck squishing outside the plates.

So, If I want to press 8 or 10 grams (or more) at one time, I have to use a bag (or the bigger press. I also have a 5x7).

It's fucking stupid to try to press that much at once in this tiny press. And, I never do it. However if I DID want to do it, I could... with a bag.

I have also used bags for repressing pucks (which I did once or twice just for experimenting purposes).

So, overall, I agree the bags are pretty useless. I did a video showing how this tiny press can do "drip tech" with an 8 or 10 gram load. But, that's not the normal way I do things. 2 or 3 grams per press works for me. And, I get between 10 and 30% rosin in return.

I also used some 25u bags to clean some rosin. I put the shitty, dirty rosin in the bag and press very lightly at low temp and it cleaned up the rosin very nicely.

Just my input.
Do you revoer the left over rosin in "the bag" afterwards with alcohol or solvent?

greenluv707

damn thank you you guys very useful info here. just need to save up a lil cash and go grab me a press and get this train rollin.....lol

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Do you revoer the left over rosin in "the bag" afterwards with alcohol or solvent?

That is what you have to do. I keep a jar of cleaning EToh, and the used parchment and bags go in it. After the color is good, I cook it down to oil. But I want rosin, which is sticky enough, not a rosin soaked bag that I have to soak the oil off and cook down.

IMO, that used parchment needs to be burned, not thrown away in the trash. Ditto with bags. Unless you live in a legal state, that is.

Some states treat rosin as "manufacturing" and have harsh penalties. Best to make the cops job as hard as possible and not throw evidence in the trash, which they think is fair game to rummage through. Same thing with your blast rig, keep it well hidden. :D

I just realized that harsh without the r is hash. Nobody likes harse hash.