Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Well Wishes > John Prine; Soulful Writer, Musician & Vocalist

Thread Title Search
John Prine; Soulful Writer, Musician & Vocalist Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 AM #11
GOT_BUD?
Weed is a gateway to gardening

GOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivorGOT_BUD? is a survivor
FOX was reporting that he is in stable condition. If he stays in stable condition and improves remains to be seen.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:35 AM #12
moose eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT_BUD? View Post
FOX was reporting that he is in stable condition. If he stays in stable condition and improves remains to be seen.
Very cool. His wife had tested positive earlier in March, and they had quarantined themselves.

He's at an age, and with high risk medical history, to the extent that quarantining with a known positive tested person, was a statement of solidarity in my opinion.

Can't say I would've called it any different. Love has different meanings for many.

I hope he pulls through. He's a warm, compassionate human being. And I'm hoping for more years standing in hopes of an encore tune or 3.

Strawberry festival and Music Clinic; Interactive with the Audience... or, as John Prine stated, Music 101. Sweetness abounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVRg6aV-_A

Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 AM #13
moose eater

Still on a ventilator, but stable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...te/5088254002/

Old 03-31-2020, 03:52 PM #14
H G Griffin

H G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose eater View Post
Thank you for that link.
Still hoping. This is the one that has hit me hardest by far.
H G Griffin is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 PM #15
moose eater

I haven't readily encountered any new updates re. Mr. Prine's condition, so I'm assuming he's still stable and on a ventilator. If he beats this, he might be the guy to take along on any lottery ticket-buying, or to a poker game. How many beat cancer 2 x's, then a pandemic for toppers?

Folks near Mr. Prine asked for people to continue prayers, thoughtfulness, and to play his music and celebrate his being.

Bonnie Raitt's tribute to John Prine at the 2020 Grammy Awards

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/video...ys-performance

Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM #16
moose eater

Bill Murray recalls how John Prine's music helped him out of depression.

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2020/03/...fmA2nCQ0atZWcw

Being able to laugh at one's plight, sufficiently to get up and begin crawling out of it, is just one aspect of JP's music.

Amen.

And in that regard, here's but one fine, shining example.

"That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-PWUgHr14

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46 PM #17
H G Griffin

H G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud ofH G Griffin has much to be proud of
Just got my ability to 'like'. You get the very first one, moose eater. I've enjoyed your posts here and in the covid threads.
I've long suspected you Alaskans are damn near good enough to be Canucks. (cheers from Alberta)

Hope you and Mr Prine both are doing well.

Here's one of my favorites. He just has this ability to get to the very heart of whatever subject he writes about.

Take the Star Out of the Window
https://youtu.be/sDR35dfVgDs

Old 04-02-2020, 10:09 PM #18
moose eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by H G Griffin View Post
Just got my ability to 'like'. You get the very first one, moose eater. I've enjoyed your posts here and in the covid threads.
I've long suspected you Alaskans are damn near good enough to be Canucks. (cheers from Alberta)

Hope you and Mr Prine both are doing well.

Here's one of my favorites. He just has this ability to get to the very heart of whatever subject he writes about.

Take the Star Out of the Window
https://youtu.be/sDR35dfVgDs
I'm honored, flattered, and humbled, H.G.

While I once traveled extensively & routinely over much of N. America, I lived briefly in the Yukon Territory in the later mid-1970s, before moving to Alaska, and staying a resident here for a variety of reasons. I now see the Yukon Territory far more frequently than I do the Lower-48 States.

Lots of Alberta has changed since the 1970s; just passed through Whitecourt, bringing up a vehicle for my wife from the SW US last February, 2019, and that whole stretch between Edmonton (explosion of urbania, extraordinaire), Whitecourt (that used to be a tiny sleepy burg, now over-run with oil workers and associated labor) Grand prairie, Ft. St. john, etc. Some places I could no longer recognize after years of using the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy down through B.C. instead of the Lower Alcan.

I've hitch-hiked across your Country many times in the 1970s and 1980s, including off-the-main-byway places, and ridden motorcycles, driven trucks and cars across there as well. Been addressed as 'Sir' by your RCMP on the sides of your highways, despite my pony tail, flower-patched bib overalls, etc. Versus sometimes having Lower-48 cops engage in all kinds of disrespect and expression of unfounded fear, such as pulling firearms when thumbing.

Before that, I lived on an off-grid homestead farm in the UP of Michigan; again close to Canada, across Lake Superior. John Prine's music, along with others in/of similar genre, featured prominently for the first time in my life, as I associated and lived among a small enclave of Vietnam vets from all branches of service, who, in disgust toward the Gov., society, et al., had joined the back-to-the-land movement of that time. One of them had taken me in when I was 16 y.o. and there as a result of leaving behind some drug-related legal tensions in SW Michigan.

The tune you linked to was a heartfelt tune among combat vets there, who'd turned to milling their own lumber, growing dope, their hair, beards, raising children, goats, pigs, chickens, sheep, ducks, bedding plants, and more. It would later be a favorite protest tune when appropriate.

"Take the star out of the window, and let my conscience take a rest."

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:39 PM #19
H G Griffin

That is quite the history, ME.
I would love to sit around the fire shooting the shit and listening to stories of your travels.(maybe share a few of my own of hitching the backroads of very redneck Alberta in the 80's, among other misadventures. Actually had the whole 'everyone in the bar stops midsentence and stares' happen to me and another longhair in the Bentley Hotel one fine afternooon)

We had a hippy life skills coach and his two adopted black kids move in across the road from us out in the boonies when I was a teen. The son and I became good friends and I met all sorts of characters over there that I would have never crossed paths with otherwise.

One day I was over there and a guy was playing guitar and it was basically an east-coast-style kitchen party. One song was played that I loved, but it was probably close to 25 years before I found out the name of the song and artist(pre-internet days). It was "Please Don't Bury Me". Once I knew, I sought out Prine's work and have discovered one gem after another.
The insight in his songs is unprecedented, imo. Even the goofy ones have a way of making you look at things with a new perspective.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:49 PM #20
moose eater

LOL, for real!!

Whether walking into off-the-road diners in tiny farm towns in Saskatchewan, or similar diners in the plateau country of Utah, riding a motorcycle with an extended front-end, and a king-queen seat, or into a tiny Colorado town just east of Wolf Creek Pass on that same bike, or.... a hundred other events, I know that 'sound-of-a-pin-dropping' moment all too well. Learned to ride a motorcycle with a hot cup of coffee in a disposable cup between my thighs, leaving one such moment in rural plateau Utah. ;^>)

The café east of Wolf Creek Pass (same day I rode through a snow storm on a motorcycle for the FIRST time ever), and ordered coffee. I was hypothermic, and bringing the cup to my mouth, it 'clinked' off my front teeth, as I was shaking from the cold.. The folks at the counter all leaned forward and stared down toward me in silence. I suspected they figured I was either high or in withdrawal. I WAS high, but it was hash, weed, and speed. I was shaking from the hypothermia.

JP has his fingers on the pulse of the human spirit, from all walks and places, and can help you to cry for it, or laugh at it, sometimes in the same 10" or 20" period.