What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Possible site upgrade?

kamyo

Veteran
Just curious if this was in the works or being talked about. Been a member in one form or another since the great OG migration of '05 or '06 or whenever it was. There's so much information here, and I think making a bit more accessible and less cumbersome to navigate might help out.

But mostly, I'm also totally willing to assist with that as community support. Might take some work to get her to match up with a newer version of vbulletin or different theme, but I'm sure it would be worth it.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I was staff at 420Magazine several years ago when it transitioned from vBulletin (plus an app) to WordPress. The site was down for a couple of days due to flaky IT staff (or that’s what I was told but I suspect that Rob was just ill-prepared). The site’s members & advertisers were not happy & that continued for a few months because of changes to galleries, image uploading etc. I was just a volunteer reviewer but I ended up spending hours & hours creating pictorial instructions for numerous site functions. It was a clusterfuck as so many of these transitions are.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I think it was being talked about, but with the galleries and pictures working in threads after an upgrade and stuff like that, it seemed like a lot could and would go wrong. So I don't think it will happen any time soon.. Maybe never.

So, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait for it! :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The only real useful upgrade around these days (IMO) is the push notifications feature. And, although it is available with the mobile app, it is not yet offered in the current web browser version of vBulletin (AFAIK).

The forum is using the current version of vBull but it is stripped of add-ons. Add-ons suk at every update. LOL And, changing software to something like Xenforo would be a total nightmare that would last for years and, no doubt, loose a ton of current info.

The only real option for a site this old is to archive the current site and start over. And, the only reason to do that is some catastrophic event.

Edit: Actually, it appears the site will have an upgrade very soon. We run version 3.8.xx and vBull has announce the end of life for version 3. So, you might not notice any change. But, the admin will be busy behind the scenes. Plus, we are running a deprecated version of TLS that will be disabled in March 2020. So, albeit not catastrophic, change is imminent.

amanda88

Just curious if this was in the works or being talked about. Been a member in one form or another since the great OG migration of '05 or '06 or whenever it was. There's so much information here, and I think making a bit more accessible and less cumbersome to navigate might help out.

But mostly, I'm also totally willing to assist with that as community support. Might take some work to get her to match up with a newer version of vbulletin or different theme, but I'm sure it would be worth it.
er...we are stoners ...no energy for such wild adventures...once we retire ...maybe just maybe! :laughing:

T

TheForgotten

Huh?

Whazzat?

What were we talking about....

Did you want blues or whites?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
vBulletin goes back to the bbs days. Doesn't look like they've changed much.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
We are currently evaluating the site for transfer to a server in Canada - where we will attempt to up-grade it to a more recent version of VBulletin -

This should all be going down over the coming weeks and months - and as some members have indicated - its not a simple job - but we will try and avoid much downtime during these transitions

buzzmobile

Veteran
have to throw the crank handle away if it gets faster .

attachment.php

Attachments

• oldcharlie.jpg
    oldcharlie.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 28

kamyo

Veteran
We are currently evaluating the site for transfer to a server in Canada - where we will attempt to up-grade it to a more recent version of VBulletin -

This should all be going down over the coming weeks and months - and as some members have indicated - its not a simple job - but we will try and avoid much downtime during these transitions

Thanks, Gypsy. I totally understand that it's a big undertaking. A lot of different database tables and certain functionality that hopefully will still work with the new version. A staging server would hopefully mitigate that a bit so that the production deployment is smoother, but it looks like you have it pretty well planned out. Not that you'll need it, but I'm always willing do help and support in any way necessary.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - we will first take a copy of the site onto a separate server - and remove all the mods and hacks that might stall the migration or upgrades - Then see if we can get the test version running properly - stripped of a few things - before attempting to upgrade it - so adding many new features - such as being able to load images directly from your computer to a thread/post - rather than first having to stick them into a site gallery -

- the site has kinda languished in the up-grade doldrums for several years now - and it really does need to change and go forward now that I am free of any legal restraints - I think that is possible -

Thanks, Gypsy. I totally understand that it's a big undertaking. A lot of different database tables and certain functionality that hopefully will still work with the new version. A staging server would hopefully mitigate that a bit so that the production deployment is smoother, but it looks like you have it pretty well planned out. Not that you'll need it, but I'm always willing do help and support in any way necessary.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It does seem that the current server / software setup gets stressed regularly.

Kind of wonky.

T

Teddybrae

I 'm wondering Gypsy if changes will be soon? Looks like a hurry up from Mozilla ...

picture.php

Yes - we will first take a copy of the site onto a separate server - and remove all the mods and hacks that might stall the migration or upgrades - Then see if we can get the test version running properly - stripped of a few things - before attempting to upgrade it - so adding many new features - such as being able to load images directly from your computer to a thread/post - rather than first having to stick them into a site gallery -

- the site has kinda languished in the up-grade doldrums for several years now - and it really does need to change and go forward now that I am free of any legal restraints - I think that is possible -