What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

advice on coconut oil extraction

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf, what are you're thoughts on using a pressure cooker. I've used one with some success for some topicals that I use on my arthritic bother.

Mixed. Sushicat used them effectively for making large Canola oil extractions at around 180F, while keeping the smell down. We do a similar thing in closed jars, which limits that advantage.

As far as speeding up extraction, temperature and relative pressure are part of the formula for dissolution speed, so increasing either, would reduce extraction time, but decarboxylation and conversion of THC to CBN starts at a relatively low temperature, so the effects will be more sedative; probably a non issue for a topical.

What I've found most effective preserving the THC, is just being hot enough (160/180F), and keeping the boundary layers removed by regular stirring with a low shear wooden spoon. That keeps fresh solvent in contact with concentrated resin, as opposed to a highly enriched solvent in contact with a partially depleted concentrate.

pldon

RSO/Coconut oil capsules

RSO/Coconut oil capsules

We've used several methods of using our marijuana. We currently have two strains. Both are high in CBD content. One with some THC and is more Indica (better for night), and one with less than 1% THC and is more Sativa (for day) though I use some of each all day and night.

1) RSO made with Everclear and a commercial oil distiller (absolutely worth the money since most Everclear is recovered and reusable! And NO nasty chemicals). I use a plastic syringe to measure a certain amount into gelcaps. Easy to store, portable, stable, Down side--some strains can be hard on stomach
2) Stovetop cooking in butter/oil using consistent ratios, then use butter to make exact size cookies or edibles. Easy to make, less messy, not as potent.
3) A vape pen with RSO. Handy but I don't smoke so only my husband uses it.

However, eating baked goods 24/7, while easy, is not good for teeth or health. I've been reading about RSO/coconut oil gelcaps and increased absorption. I assume we can melt RSO and coconut oil together in certain ratio, then put into caps with pipette or plastic syringe. I'm also hoping the presence of the fat will help me avoid the stomach upset.

Since I used approximately 1-2 mm of RSO in caps previously I am also assuming I can eventually figure out the ratio of entire batch.

My question here is: does anyone have any advice based on their own experience?
Thank you

TerpeneDream

Coconut oil is excellent for extracting oil. Here are the notes from one of our runs:

In this experiment, we didn’t attempt to reach maximum saturation, but to determine what was reasonable to expect from a single batch. To reach maximum saturation, we would have simply processed more than one batch of fresh material through the oil.

What we did, was fill four jars 3/4 full of the trim and then added enough oil to cover it, stirred it thoroughly, and then added another inch of oil.
We then lightly capped the jars and set them in pot of hot water and simmered it on low for six hours, uncapping and stirring thoroughly a couple of times an hour.

At the end of six hours, we removed the jars from the hot water and set them aside to cool. The next day, we cooked them two more hours, stirring regularly, and the third day we cooked them another six hours, for 14 hours total, with three heat cycles.

Lightly capping means snug enough to allow some pressure to build, but loose enough to vent off anything excessive. Since we used cured material and didn’t add water, there were little in the way of volatiles to boil off and produce pressure.

I left the lid off the boiling pot, so as to not force steam into the jar head space.

For pressing, we warmed the oils and ghee up by placing them in boiling water, this time with the lids on tight and the lid on the pot.

Next we cut up some rags from some surplus drape material, with approximately a 160/200 thread count, and draped it over a restaurant sized potato ricer that we scored at Hongs Restaurant Supply in Portland. By pressing it down into the potato ricer, it formed a pocket that holds approximately a quart of plant material.

Folding the cloth over and pressing it, produced a pristine clear oil, which was tasty enough to dropper.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Is this still your favorite method for making the coconut oil?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting ready to make some coconut oil.

I'm thinking double boiler style, over 3 days. 180* F max temp.

Did you do anything with the plant matter after your press? Seems like the coconut soaked bud could make some tasty cookies...

pokearound

Hello Folks,

I'm bumping this older thread with a question or two.
Hello Gray Wolf, I took an extraction class at your place years ago and still use your techniques and knowledge.... Big Ups Sir !

I'm about to use trim for a coconut infusion. Going to follow GW's methods listed in this thread.
My question is do I need to decarb the trim prior to the 6, 2, and 6 hour heating periods on the stove top? Isn't the repeated application of heat, in fact decarbing?
I would much prefer a stimulative medicine as opposed to a sedative one...... does decarbing affect the results either way?

Thanks for any input and Keep On Keepin' On !

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello Folks,

I'm bumping this older thread with a question or two.
Hello Gray Wolf, I took an extraction class at your place years ago and still use your techniques and knowledge.... Big Ups Sir !

I'm about to use trim for a coconut infusion. Going to follow GW's methods listed in this thread.
My question is do I need to decarb the trim prior to the 6, 2, and 6 hour heating periods on the stove top? Isn't the repeated application of heat, in fact decarbing?
I would much prefer a stimulative medicine as opposed to a sedative one...... does decarbing affect the results either way?

Thanks for any input and Keep On Keepin' On !

The material is partially decarbed during extraction. You can finish by heating the extracted oil to 250F and watch for CO2 bubbles.

The cannabinoids can reach the CB-2 receptors throughout the body without decarb, just not the CB-1 receptors in the brain.

pokearound

Thanks Gray Wolf. :tiphat:

And while heating to 250F, do I take off heat after CO2 bubbles stop or when CO2 bubbles start to appear? I know I’ve seen discussion of this somewhere. Cheers!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Gray Wolf. :tiphat:

And while heating to 250F, do I take off heat after CO2 bubbles stop or when CO2 bubbles start to appear? I know I’ve seen discussion of this somewhere. Cheers!
The highest THC content is achieved at around 70% decarboxylation, which is where the curve peaks and falls off on the graph. Beyond that point, more THC is converted to CBN than THCa to THC.

When the curve peaks, the bubble rate suddenly drops off in intensity, but doesn't stop completely.

At 100% decarboxylation, bubbling stops completely, but the results will be more sedative than at 70%.

Attachments

• Decarboxylation Graph-1-1.jpg
    Decarboxylation Graph-1-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Although I have a couple cases of VOCO, I have never tried using it to make anything. I use non-salted butter, and ABV that has only been lightly heated to blow off the terps.

So about 75gr ABV and a pound+ butter, at a low setting in a crock pot, over water. Never gets over 212* that way. I freeze the butter. When I thaw it out at 250* and leave it there for 30 mins in the oven to make cookies, there are no bubbles at all.

So is the THCA to THC conversion maybe taking place in the extract stage @ 212*? Maybe all that is happening in the 250* heat is turning the actives to CBN.

I hope things are going well for you GW.

Latest posts

Latest posts