What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Spinach has white pistils and tricomes!

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
What the fuck? Its a cultivar called 'Razzle Dazzle' (Burpee i think) and these are just seedlings.

At first i though maybe i had a MJ seed had finally sprouted, and it was a freak, but i put lots of spinach seeds in this smart pot, and they all have had the trics and pistils.

Just thought it was interesting. Would hate for it to count against my 99 limit.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Safe to say that aint spinach!

Almost looks like ABC (Australian Bastard Cannabis) but such a small sprout would be an Auto flower.

Can you get any better pics of the leaves?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
It is 1000% spinach.

I reuse my substrate, this 'transplant' batch had 5 or 6 smart post full of coco (including a different cultivar of spinach).

This is the only container that i put 'razzle dazzle' seeds in, and it is the only one producing seedlings like this.

I could take a million pictures, they all look the same (like seedlings that need more light).

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Certainly, MORE PICS PLEASE!

My searching for "Razzle Dazzle" spinach hasn't turned up a single flower pic, found a couple "Spinach" pics that looked like a serious Hermi cannabis bud, but NOTHING that looks like that.

Edit;

Took a look at the full size pic,.... looks like spider mites on that plant..... It's early enough in bud, spray it with Neem, "Don't bug me" and some "Mighty wash" and cross your fingers for a good harvest! :wave:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
OK, i took two more.

Note the seed casing still holding the coydotes (sp?) together. (Although i will admit there were no clear 'seed case holding' seedling with trics and pistils.)

the last one has another cultivar of spinach, so you can compare the seedling leaf type.

mofeta

Veteran
LOL!

Another herb grower sees female spinach flowers for the first time. I get at least one call a year on this. They really can resemble buds on a pot plant.

Spinach is a predominantly dioecious plant (has separate male and female plants), like pot. Sometimes it will throw hermies like pot. There are also monoecious lines of spinach, like hemp. Scientists use spinach to study the genetic factors in sex determination in dioecious plants.

The one big difference is that pot is short-day triggered to flower, spinach is long-day.

Female spinach flowers:
starr-090919-5154.jpg

woogille

hey man i have the exact same thing !!
Mine right now is about the same level as the one in the pics
btw i have read that spinachs are kind of a winter type of plants so that may be the reason for the early flowers
and its a bit wierd cause back when igrew ganja when she was at this level she already had smell from the type like you could smell her from a meter away, and this one - even when i put my nose touching the flowers no smell whats o ever...
anyway did u tried to smoke it or something ? Got anything good out of it ?