What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk

pebble

Veteran
hi all :wave:
best luaith and misterdj
to i, DC means: medicine :abduct:
DC planted in soil

picture.php

peace and love

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
has anybody tried the Deep Chunk x Cinderella 99 by Cannacopia? I'm thinking about trying it out..

i did a test grow for htc c99xdc powerhouse............no herme's here thou..............
F.U.C.K....i wish u all could see my ptk and dc's in my gallery......

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
colina n bandit thx for the DC info
currently i have 4 norcal goo {fm} x dc {m} {thx brotha greenlion} as seedlings planted on 2-14-09 these will be growen to maturity and then some. they'll be flowered when my next flower run is done current run is done on the 1st.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DC fn #10 aka DCX

DC10090316A045copia1.jpg

I´ve planted a bunch of her fn+1 seeds :D

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice raco you always come through with awespme pics love your work bro...

Colina

:wave: Throw another log on the fire, twist one up and let's ponder.

I think we should try to keep in mind the massive influence that environment can have on phenotype.

Example- Joe starts seeds. One is planted a bit shallow and doesn't shed its shell on the way up. Joe helps it a little. Then the roots find their way into a hotspot in the soil and cringe a little. The plant has been stunted due to environment at this point. Joe has a full garden he is tending and though this plant is stunted a little and doesn't need it he waters it right along side the rest of them, thus overwatering sending the plant into deeper despair. It is then doomed to a stunted life for its time in that container with the loss of roots etc.
I do not know whether or not Raco feels this type of thing could have been the case but we should certainly explore these types of possibilities before acting. I do see some stunted leaf growth on his little guy that seems to relay a deeper story than genetics possibly. One way to check this would be to take clones from the two plants and see what they do in another environment (new pots). The point is that we should be careful in determining what it is exactly that we are looking at before making rash decisions. If that little plant was one of a few in a ten pack of seed I would probably use it in the pollen mix.
As to selection rounds I would try to maintain tunnel vision on resin quantity/quality on the female side and use the broadest base possible on the male side. We are not breeding hemp, vigor comes with hybrids. What would we be throwing away by selecting males based solely on vigor? Progeny testing will not reveal the whole story in one generation. Maybe the little guy holds the key to unleashing the rare and elusive throat numbing zebra latte pheno in later gens? Who knows. The beauty of all this is everyone is free to follow their own instincts and paths and let's meet back here to compare notes. Nice pics everybody :smile:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I appreciate what you are saying, and what you obviously know, but....

"vigor comes with hybrids" ... from what I know this is not true, yes it comes from hybrids, but surely you can gain some [abeit not as much] by selection ? KC Brains is known for this, I believe.

"What would we be throwing away by selecting males based solely on vigor?".... hopefully nothing, if you select from enough and only discard some, based on poor vigour .... yes there might be something exceptional, but if I remember my statistical analysis stuff, no greater chance..... unless you are saying that the poorer looking ones have a greater chance of being special ?

"Progeny testing will not reveal the whole story in one generation." ... aaah, damn, just when I thought it was so easy .... ;-)

Colina

Does the problemed plant that just can't get right, that doesn't feel comfortable in its own skin - Does it throw up a defense in the form of gobs and gobs of resin come finishing time? Or is the resin quantity predetermined and come out with a more concentrated field on the lower yielding plants? Hard to say, but as we look out over the collective library of exceptional clones, there does seem to be an unexplained tilt in the direction of lower yielding phenotypes. I seem to be finding the most exceptional examples of this line from within the average sized plants as apposed to either of the extreme ends. Until I have absolute answers to questions such as these and a whole lot more I am inclined to include everything certainly in these open pollination rounds - the good the bad and the ugly - so as to be careful to not be throwing anything away. Again, everybody should feel free to follow their own instincts and we'll see you at the finish line.;)

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well ime, tric field means nothin, yes most times a frosty plant will smoke well, but ive had plants drip resin, and smoke for shit. sativas with hardly any tric field pop your balloon.

CharlesX had said stress increases tric field, and potentcy, but he did also say, not in every plant. i always thought it was a BS, a weed rumor from long ago. hell i cant grow for shit, my enviorment is not choice, id imagine most all plants i grow get highly stressed in a grow. dont seem to do much for the plants, other then they look horrible at harvest.

im with ya on the runts, which as you have explained, plant really isnt a runt, its hatein its enviorment. underground, with not much good air, and not enough heat to dry the can/cup, sprouts tend to damp off. i see where 3 or 4 plants have no problems in these conditions, but some just cant survive.

X18 X DC, i had a sprout that came up, stayed green for weeks, but never grew a millimeter. finally died off. if ya can have root rot that early, then thats what it had, soil was to wet for that sprout to grow, where the others moved along fine.

myself i plant into moist soil in a cup, if the plant dont make it, i feel its a crap plant anyway, if it dont sprout. by doin this, i feel i get the most vigorous plants outta the seed planted. maybe ass backwards thinkin, but when soakin, germin in a towel, i get these weak ass plants. when tossin into wet soil, and they come up, there usually great growin plants. may very well be the grow enviorment, but for me, its how i do it.

CBF

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one more blurb, seed in a natural enviorment with moisture present, the sun warms the ground, and walla they sprout.

indoors you dont have the natural warmin of the sun(intense) which may also contribute to a sprouts success.

my veg spot currently goes between 68/72 F, clones root up in 68F. this may have somethin to do with it also. prolly should have a better set up for sproutin seed.

CBF

Colina

I want to say something here because I see this over and over again that trichome quantity means nothing. Trichome quantity doesn't mean everything that's true, but in my opinion there's not much denying that it means a lot.

If we are comparing a single Thai plant or something to a hybrid plant chock-full of empty vessels, then CBF is surely correct - it means nothing.

However, if we were to dissect that Thai line (or the hybrid line for that matter) I think we will find that the maximum potential from within those lines will be found among their most resinous individuals. And that their most resinous individuals will be found among those with the denser trichome fields. I do not see how it could be otherwise. There is maximum room for high quality resin secretion in the denser trichome field. Once we have some other ducks in a row (resin profile, etc), trichome quantity means quite a bit me thinks. And otherwise, let's me and you grow a boatload of that Thai and I'll gladly take the half with the denser tric field. :D

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK,another log on the fire :muahaha:
DC male

DCmale.jpg

This is a very cool thread!! :yes: I´ll be back later :wink:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gracias Sundance,brother :wink:
just another log while I roll another one...

"40º from the Equinox" :joint:

...can you feel the heat,compadres? :nanana:

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
one more blurb, seed in a natural enviorment with moisture present, the sun warms the ground, and walla they sprout.

indoors you dont have the natural warmin of the sun(intense) which may also contribute to a sprouts success.

my veg spot currently goes between 68/72 F, clones root up in 68F. this may have somethin to do with it also. prolly should have a better set up for sproutin seed.

CBF

wow ClearBarbedFunk you are socorrect. last year i sprouted some seeds on June 7.Outside in the warmth of the sun..all of them popped..right now i am dealing with low germination(or at least slow)in my dad\s greenhouse..its a steady 25 celcius most of the time with a osilating fan for air flow..and the humidity is a constant 75-80 percent..but still it takes almost 2 weeks before i see any cotleydons..in the summer 7 days and boom they are up and ready

peace
Chefboy

Ahhhh shit ...... IT'S ON! ;) Right on benji, GOod luck with your beans there...

Hey Raco, que Chulada de Plants te cargas.... yo Y tu somos camaradas, pro no te as dado quenta quien soy, ;) LOL Bendiciones y Suerte!