What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize marijuana

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ABC News MEGHAN KENEALLY,ABC News 2 hours 17 minutes ago

Illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize marijuana originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Illinois has become the latest state to legalize marijuana.

The state's new Democratic governor signed a bill Tuesday legalizing the use of the drug.

Gov. JB Pritzker campaigned on the issue and the Illinois General Assembly passed a law legalizing and regulating production on May 31.

"As the first state in the nation to fully legalize adult-use cannabis through the legislative process, Illinois exemplifies the best of democracy: a bipartisan and deep commitment to better the lives of all of our people," Pritzker said in a statement after he signed the bill.

"Legalizing adult-use cannabis brings an important and overdue change to our state, and it’s the right thing to do. This legislation will clear the cannabis-related records of nonviolent offenders through an efficient combination of automatic expungement, gubernatorial pardon and individual court action," he said.

Illinois now joins 10 states and the District of Columbia in allowing the legal use of marijuana. Legalization will go into effect in Illinois on Jan. 1, 2020.

The National Conference of State Legislatures reports there are 13 other states where marijuana has been decriminalized. Small amounts intended for personal consumption can lead to a civil or local infraction in these states.

That was the tack used in New York, where the state legislature recently opted to decriminalize the drug and view possession of up to 2 ounces as a violation instead of a crime.

The legalization of marijuana in Illinois is seen by some as the latest in a string of progressive or left-leaning policies implemented by Pritzker.

BRAVO, Ilinois!!

starke

Any step in any state towards legalization is to be applauded. Unfortunately, Illinois is broke as fuck. Sure hope the politicians don't try to balance the budget on the backs of marijuana users.

F2F

I'm conflicted on how positive the trend across the US really is.

No home grow without a medical card. I'm so tired of this money grab mentality. It's safe enough to legalize for recreation, but we still demand you pay us for the right to consume it?

Even worse all the while claiming preferential "opportunity" in the business for minorities as past restitution (I'm not a minority btw). Somehow I don't see the average minority previously affected by reefer madness opening a dispensary or cultivation facility. Maybe I'm naive.

Cheers
F2F

dddaver

Veteran
I think Vermont is the only state that has "legalized" that allows home growing. I'm not at all sure this current "no grow" trend is a good thing at all.

F2F

Data from a pretty non-official site said the following states allow home grow for non-medical use.

Alaska
California
Colorado
District of Colombia
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
Oregon
Vermont

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I'm conflicted on how positive the trend across the US really is.

No home grow without a medical card. I'm so tired of this money grab mentality. It's safe enough to legalize for recreation, but we still demand you pay us for the right to consume it?

Even worse all the while claiming preferential "opportunity" in the business for minorities as past restitution (I'm not a minority btw). Somehow I don't see the average minority previously affected by reefer madness opening a dispensary or cultivation facility. Maybe I'm naive.

Cheers
F2F
Before long they will tax your toilet paper (after each) instance and, further more... they will expect you to collect your "duty", weight it and, produce the required "tax" on said bodily function! Ya wanna wear tin hats?

That being said... STFU and do your thing :biggrin:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
ABC News MEGHAN KENEALLY,ABC News 2 hours 17 minutes ago

Illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize marijuana originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Illinois has become the latest state to legalize marijuana.

The state's new Democratic governor signed a bill Tuesday legalizing the use of the drug.

Gov. JB Pritzker campaigned on the issue and the Illinois General Assembly passed a law legalizing and regulating production on May 31.

"As the first state in the nation to fully legalize adult-use cannabis through the legislative process, Illinois exemplifies the best of democracy: a bipartisan and deep commitment to better the lives of all of our people," Pritzker said in a statement after he signed the bill.

"Legalizing adult-use cannabis brings an important and overdue change to our state, and it’s the right thing to do. This legislation will clear the cannabis-related records of nonviolent offenders through an efficient combination of automatic expungement, gubernatorial pardon and individual court action," he said.

Illinois now joins 10 states and the District of Columbia in allowing the legal use of marijuana. Legalization will go into effect in Illinois on Jan. 1, 2020.

The National Conference of State Legislatures reports there are 13 other states where marijuana has been decriminalized. Small amounts intended for personal consumption can lead to a civil or local infraction in these states.

That was the tack used in New York, where the state legislature recently opted to decriminalize the drug and view possession of up to 2 ounces as a violation instead of a crime.

The legalization of marijuana in Illinois is seen by some as the latest in a string of progressive or left-leaning policies implemented by Pritzker.

BRAVO, Ilinois!!
Bold text requires clarification! Before I say Bravo :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Better than a stick in the eye with scissors or a thorn branch. People will continue to grow underground, Switcher. $$$ has to be made and will let out-of-staters and those unable to grow to buy.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of us old timers recall when it was ALL illegal, so even though "recreational" in Illinois (who knew?), strides have been made in the last 5, 10, 20 years.

Even in CO, the underground remains healthy and in demand. Imagine that'll be similar elsewhere where "legal" but not legal to GYO.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Some of us old timers recall when it was ALL illegal, so even though "recreational" in Illinois (who knew?), strides have been made in the last 5, 10, 20 years.

Even in CO, the underground remains healthy and in demand. Imagine that'll be similar elsewhere where "legal" but not legal to GYO.
Where there is a need, there will be people willing to fill that need. That is the world. Let's play devil's advocate here...

The FRIGGING economy is BS and, is no diffrent than the inernet and housing bubble. Now the world is under the Trump bubble. That will bust as well. There is no disposable income.

The government is running out of cash just like us. Ya wanna smoke? Pay the price! The black market will always exist. They will continue to exist, unless the "legal" market puts them out of business. e.g great weed at reasonable prices.

GMO seeds yeah right!

dddaver

Veteran
Data from a pretty non-official site said the following states allow home grow for non-medical use.

Alaska
California
Colorado
District of Colombia
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
Oregon
Vermont

Thanks. So Illinois "no grow" rule becomes even more the "money grab" than even thought, in comparison. With it they are just giving more support to the black market. On the one hand they will be expunging all past mj convictions but on the other their policy is a huge indicator of blatant corruption to me.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Thanks. So Illinois "no grow" rule becomes even more the "money grab" than even thought, in comparison. With it they are just giving more support to the black market. On the one hand they will be expunging all past mj convictions but on the other their policy is a huge indicator of blatant corruption to me.

I read they were only expunging possession charges of 30 grams or less, not “all” mj convictions.

Del_9_THC

Well, the way I look at it is that legalization is a good thing.....the control over who what entities can/cannot grow is bullshit sucking up to cops/prohibitionists and big business.

Nevertheless, since it will be legal, the "I smelled pot" lie to get a warrant or to search without a warrant is no longer valid.

So, if you grow discreetly, at home, then there is not much chance of getting busted AND if the legislators are intelligent, they will tell cops to give this their lowest priority......

And then in the next elections, push for further reforms to allow for growing.

dddaver

Veteran
I read they were only expunging possession charges of 30 grams or less, not “all” mj convictions.

Wrong. Among convictions eligible for expungement in SB 7 would be misdemeanor possession of up to 3.5 ounces of cannabis and Class 4 felony possession of up to 17.6 ounces, or more than 1 pound

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190518/...l-for-pot-convictions-one-of-nations-broadest

Don't believe everything you read. Google can be your friend.

In any case. I post to discuss, not argue. Have fun. I'm out.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Well it is like this Dave... government aren't businessmen, and businessmen make for lousy government (US)

Latest posts

Latest posts