What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sam_Skunkman's dry sift method

C

Chamba

In a recent thread Sam_Skunkman wrote

I am working on a way to make dry sifted resin of my quality (50%+ THC) automated, but it has not been easy. When I am successful I will let everyone know how I do it. Until then you will have to use one of the other known methods to make hash. I am busy with the work, but it is taking a lot longer then I hoped to automate it.
-SamS

If the intention in the end is to let everyone know how to do it anyway (which is commendable) ... and since you are having trouble perfecting the process/automation anyway....(and that's if you do not have commercial intentions for it)...

..then why not let us know your technique/process/method how to make the World's best dry sifted hash you developed now not later?.....the advantage of this is there are several experienced and knowledgable minds here on ICmag that would be keen to offer ideas to assist in automation etc.

Last edited:

TAG-monk

I think he want to patent it...

wich after what we have seen in the other thread, is not a bad idea, heh

Last edited:
C

Chamba

lol....perhaps not ...anyway, he obviously has his own reasons/motives...

most smokers are happy with smoking bud......most of the time I'm happy with what falls passively through my screens just from breaking up bud for bowls or jays and use this kif as a "treat", a bowl topper, every now and then (I often smoke it first thing in the morning........a little kif in the bowl is excellent with the morning coffee)

on the rare occasions when I have an excess of bud, I will dry sift some of that actively over several screen frames and then, gently with a card, resift the kif again through those two meshes to purify it (stopping when 90% has fallen through each time)...this method (and there's lots of them) will produce an excellent quality hash combined with good yields..

...and then sometimes I will then work that double or triple sifted kif over a third mesh : 200 ~ 250 L.P.I. mesh (40 ~ 55 micron mesh) to force the broken up dust and resin stalks through the mesh and the resin heads stay on top (see Bubbleman's Bubble box), the carding actions breaks up the dust and other crap into smaller pieces and forces it through the fine holes while the resin heads roll around on top of the mesh.

....but this process takes much longer than the simple dry sifting with one or two screens...it takes alot of work too, the yield is reduced in size by half, you need a tight, evenly taut mesh but the quality is world class!....with one press of your thumb the kif will instantly form into a soft blond "putty"..this is the quality we all will be making and smoking when anf if cannabis is legal again...a few matchheads worth of this hash will has lots of altitude and will zing your brain pleasantly!

I wonder if Sam_Skunkman's technique uses 3 screens too?.....a 120 mesh, then a 130 ~150 mesh (with holes slightly larger than the largest trichomes. but larger enough so most of the trichomes pass through) and a third 200 ~ 250 mesh (with holes slightly smaller than the smaller trichomes) combined with a vaccuum cleaner to suck the debris through from underneath while the material is being carded & agitated across the top of this fine mesh.....I own plenty of fine meshes, but I don't own a vaccuum cleaner (no carpets here!) so haven't tried this vaccuum method out yet...but I can see that automating this process would be a challenge, but it's not impossible.

anyway...Happy kiffing!

Last edited:

ilife

Cleaning up Dry Sieve

Cleaning up Dry Sieve

Sam, Yes there are many people waiting for you to introduce us to the next level of Dry sieve, where the flavor is!!!

Can we start asking for hints or ideas, such as are you using:

1. Static Electro Magnectic Wand to remove contamination.
2. What size micron are your screens Laser cut to?
3. Are you using a vibrations method, such as mouse sander.

For I would like to learn how to remove the contamination from this and just be sitting with the small percentage of quality resin that is mixed in here.

C

Chamba

vibration alone won't work once you start working with meshes smaller than 150 L.P.I. (110 - 115 micron) as the trichomes and contaminants will roll and dance on top of the screen anb dnot fal through efficiently by themselves...once you start using finer meshes, the contaminants need to be actively broken up and forced through, a card does this well...or perhaps an automated blade that moves across the mesh screen as it is vibrated?

the static elec method is one I haven't used...but I'd imagine this technique would be difficult to automate into a one press button dry sift hash making unit ...and/or would be prohibitively expensive

have you tried the working that tumbler kif with a card to and fro over a 220 mesh? or tried with the same finer mesh with a vaccuum sucking from underneath while carding the material on top?..remove the vaccuum attachment head and suck with the open vaccuum tube as this will be have a more concentrated and stronger suction.

trichomes tend to fall through a 120 ~ 145 mesh (150 ~ 115 micron) in greater percentages initially than the contaminants, have you tried running that kif through the same tumbler again stopping when, for example, 75% has fallen through?..this first 75% will contain a higher % of trics than the bulk of the kif you started with.

have you tried freezing that kif and shaking it with ice and water in a jar and letting it settle or running it through a set of bubblebags?...keep 20% of the kif set aside and combine this to the dried ice hash to still retain flavor, taste..and complexity to the high?

there's lot of ways!..I bet Sam knows many more!

keep in mind that with any new method...use a magnifying glass, 20X ~ 35X, to monitor your results and to test different sized meshes you intend to use!

do a search through my previous posts as I often poke my head in to any dry sifting threads...as I did under another user name on Overgrow.com

Happy kiffing!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

do a search for posts by Comphason..he is an experienced hasher and has developed and uses several dry sifting purifying techniques/methods and other new methods for improving hash purity.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so Chamba, you expect Sam to give away his process, before he has a machine ready to go to market? is that what you expect him to do?

i think you'll find that the carding method with 3 screens is pretty superior. how much better do you want it lol?

i saw that vacuum technique in action once and it was totally crass to watch 50% of an already very clean sift disappear into the vacuum cleaner.

also a thought for ilife, if you store that kief for about 6 months to a year and then smoke some, you will have a big surprise. fresh kief always tickles in the throat, let it age properly and you will see the difference. the flavors it produces are totally amazing. that itchy dry quality goes away completely. unless you ran your tumbler for ages, you don't need to clean it. just store it you will see.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
yes we do gaiusmarius.

and chamba is a freaking kif addict, he knows his triple sifting carding inside out ;)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well some people might do that and pass on their tricks. but you can't expect it, specially not if he's put a lot of time and energy into it with the intention of bringing it to market somehow.

sorry actually you can expect it of him, you can expect anything you want in the end. it just doesn't necessarily follow that your expectations will come to pass, hehe.

i never meant to imply that Chamba isn't doing the triple carding right, i'm sure he is as you say an expert. i was just wondering how much better then that, any system can get if it's not oil being made?

i mean at the end of the triple screen carding you end up with a product of nearly pure trichome heads. so what more can be done to concentrate it further?

C

Chamba

so Chamba, you expect Sam to give away his process, before he has a machine ready to go to market? is that what you expect him to do

I don't know....it's up to Sam_Skunkman.......he's capable of speaking for himself

Last edited:
C

Chamba

i mean at the end of the triple screen carding you end up with a product of nearly pure trichome heads. so what more can be done to concentrate it further?

good point..most people are extremely happy with the hash they make with a single screen..while a smaller percentage like to see if they can purify this further....

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah man i just assumed he was not sharing his system yet because he wanted to make an automated system to sell. but i don't know if that's the case. but you are right there could be other reasons for not sharing his system.

peace

C

Chamba

i think you'll find that the carding method with 3 screens is pretty superior. how much better do you want it lol?

I want the best and most efficient method/technique! and I'm interested in learning more.........but you are right...using 3 screens suited to the starting material and a gentle technique will result in hash that legends are made of!..and will burn leaving a small amount of ash

if triple screened hash was any purer it would be not practical to handle and would be as sticky as BHO or warm Bubble hash.

the problem with oil extraction is it only breaks down the basic petro-chemical disolvable compenents of the plant....the ice hash process leaches or rinses away some of the flavor compenents that add to the taste and and in a small way to the high...while dry sift doesn't have the outright potency of the latter two methods, when kif (produced correctly & gently), it is a true, complete and natural concentrate of the original plant...hash made via the dry sift method gives you the total and complete unadultered herbal THC active essences (not altered, added to, polluted, disolved, leached or rinsed) so the high is more complex, tastes better and is in a more natural form..that's why it tastes better and the high is fuller and more "complete" ........ and it's faster and safer!

Happy kiffing!

Last edited:

tainted

isnt a skuffer an "automated sieving device"...short runs being full melt..dunno..i dropped the hand crank back in the gulf war...

seriously though..i dont think there are too many options past whats already available now...and im not talking bubble bags and pollinators...

static collectors...sieve shakers...centrefuges..water washers..expanded metal iso cert sieves...are already part of industrial filtration...hmmm..smokers always reinventing the wheel...

just google it...

C

Chamba

isnt a skuffer an "automated sieving device"...short runs being full melt..

a tumbler compared to a flat screen is a washing machine compared to hand washing ..it is not better, only easier....with all things being equal, the end result is the same

..and currently, tumblers are only produced to operate with one screen, not with multiple screens at once .....one screen hash is good....but double or triple screened hash smokes on another level..I bet there are more than several people working on an automated multi screen dry sift system right now

Sony is probably working on a model right now

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Chamba have you ever stored your kief for a year before trying it again? this totally blew me away. it's a great shame that hash is gone. that stuff changed from a itchy hard to smoke product to the most amazing tasting and smooth hash you could imagine. every smoke of it reminded me of a few key smokes of stuff people have brought back from kashmir india and nepal in the 80s. as you say, it had the most complex and amazing flavor and an incredibly strong high. specially the stuff i collected after running the tumbler for only 5 minutes. but even the 20 minute harvest was incredible after storage. so who else has made this experience with tumbler kief? my explanation is that it takes time for all the chlorophyl to evaporate. but is there more to it? i mean i couldn't believe it was the same product. i'd written it off as to itchy and tickley to smoke, until a year or so latter i needed something to smoke and dug that stuff up again. man oh man was i surprised!

G

You guys talking about patents are way off. Even if the dude did patent it, the marijuana industry is full of criminals. It would be ignored.

Intead of a patent, think TRADE SECRET.

Step 1: Keep the secret to the method of making the best hash.
Step 2: Sell it in anywhere that it is legal.
Step 3: Profit.

As an added bonus, dealers will buy his product at the legal source and smuggle it to far off black markets.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah but if Sam_Skunkman, brings out a device that makes something like triple carded dry sift, then he will be the first and be able to corner the market, if that is indeed what his plan is? if he share the details now, some body else could maybe beat him to it with bringing out such a device?

but maybe it is a matter of pride too, ie he wants the system to be perfected before he spills the beans?

maybe he will comment?

tainted

yea whta i was trying to say was actually sim to what gauis said...these techniques exist/.we just need to apply them directly to hash...cuz adding bags/sheets here and there isnt necessarily helping...yes the bag makers are correct...that trikes exists in grades..but therefore there should be more "work bags" before 120u (and near to 120u eg 125/120/115)..to sep exactly where the large trikes begin...then you can go all gourmet and divide the 3 major grades and buy 30 freakin bags cuz the marketers say so...and people just WANT stuff and the faux science/captions to go along...sometimes a bit scary

anyhoo...yea carding...and mirror scavenging for debris..i know the drill all too well..and understand how dog hairs which shafts are smaller than 120u at times can slip directly through along with similar ccrap..and where it would float and sep in a water extract...but hey..that obviously shows whats needed now.,..thicken your screens and use weight sep techs...

like champa...you got it..a second sieve shaker...etc..and they DO exist..check the NL headshops...its a machine to purify the hashish...looks like a george foreman grill with a short plastic dome..auto-carding if you will...

such 'inventions' are obvious imo (as champa comes with such feasible techs/requirements off the top of his head)...all this is...like i said...go to lab stores/google..look at their gear..and think HASH..tis easy...

"we still have alot to learn from the old methods....."
think sssc perfected most this stuff--freckin applied single truss method to MJ...skunkman surely knows his shit...and was born with the OGs...but if he doenst decide to reveal the golden goose...i trust yall can figure out how to make good hash yourself...following others just makes you suffer the same mistakes...why everyone here uses BMs style and nothing past that....even adopting his illogical ideas...and then for the same group to later reject improvements like the xtr 'patent' cuz its not agreeable to the status quo/"powers" that be...mj politics...sorta a joke..but a definite never-ending barrier here..

and our hash is surely suckin for it,... :pointlaug :confused: