What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2020 Meteor shower thread

KONY

Veteran
Bit late this year but better late than never! Saw a really good perseids last night, but the peaks not till next week. One thing I love about these showers is how many of them have been viewed for a very long time. People before modern times witnessed some of these same showers.

January 4, 2020 Quadrantids
April 22, 2020 Lyrids
May 5, 2020 Eta Aquariids
Late July, 2020 Delta Aquariids
August 12, 2020 Perseids
October 7, 2020 Draconids
October 21, 2020 Orionids
November 4-5, 2020 South Taurids
November 11-12, 2020 North Taurids
November 17, 2020 Leonids
December 13-14, 2020 Geminids
December 22, 2020 Ursids

buzzmobile

Veteran
A queen sized air mattress laid out in the field and wide open to the sky is the way we watch meteor showers. Looking forward to the coming peak of Perseids.

rolandomota

Veteran
I usually fall asleep and forget very easily it's been a while since I have seen a meteor I smoke indoors mostly I used to see them all the time when I smoked outdoors in my back yard

I wish everyone a cloud free night/ really early morning. Hopefully the moon isn't too bright that night and we all get spectacular displays. I put the air mattress out in the backyard too with a bunch of blankets. The perseids are one of my favourite things.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Sounds like one of the Perseids. They start mid July but peak next week.

So after some research what I saw was an earthgrazer, and it was full moon so really lucky. I’m sold, meteor spotting is very cool!!

Great idea for a thread, thanx Kony :tiphat:

KONY

Veteran
Weather forecast is clearing up for tomorrow night. I'm not going to get too excited until tomorrow. The weather forecasters don't seem to really ever know what's going on until the day of. And even then they are not always right.

So after some research what I saw was an earthgrazer, and it was full moon so really lucky. I’m sold, meteor spotting is very cool!!

Great idea for a thread, thanx Kony
tiphat.gif

All it takes is one good meteor to be hooked for life. In December the Geminids normally puts on a really good show. It's always colder outside then, however the meteors that shower produces are well worth the cold. They seem to be about half the speed of the Perseids. A few years ago we saw one and had enough time to say "wow, look at that" and at the end of saying that, it was still going across the sky. Seemed like it lasted ten seconds. I will never forget that fireball.

A queen sized air mattress laid out in the field and wide open to the sky is the way we watch meteor showers. Looking forward to the coming peak of Perseids.

I prefer a blanket right on the grass, or a zero gravity chair. The chair is nice if its wet out, but the blanket is nice cause it can go anywhere easily and quickly. I suppose if I had an extra mattress laying around I would probably use that.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
this is the third year in a row that the weather here has screwed me out of seeing ANY of the meteor showers. i'm so depressed...

buzzmobile

Veteran
this is the third year in a row that the weather here has screwed me out of seeing ANY of the meteor showers. i'm so depressed...
Summer weather is always a problem with the Perseids. Get over your depression because there are more meteor showers to come.

Orionids (ORI) Sep 23-Nov 27 Oct 22
Leonids (LEO) Nov 02-Nov 30 Nov 18
Geminids (GEM) Dec 01-Dec 22 Dec 14
Ursids (URS) Dec 19-Dec 24 Dec 21

Dates in bold are the predicted peaks.

Latest posts

Latest posts