What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Port of Beirut, Lebanon has a huge explosion.

St. Phatty

Mossad 100000000000%

Cui Bono ?

obviously, Israel.

Ignition source ? something found in most college labs.

it's not hard to start a fire at a distance of 500 meters or a kilometer.

And of course, there are Tracer bullets.

I always wondered, how do you assess the ACCURACY of tracer bullets ?

you can't fire them at the range. i guess you have to walk a mile into BLM land during rainy season.

the possible official story is BULLSHIT.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/large-explosion-rocks-port-area-beirut-cause-unclear-n1235767

Ammonium Nitrate ? it's one of THE MOST STABLE substances in the chemistry lab.

it takes extraordinary conditions to blow it up. it's not like you light it with a match.

you have to hit it with a pressure spike high enough to turn it into a gas, and then the remaining NH4NO3 has to obediently stay in one place - while next to a gas front that starts out moving at 10,000 feet per second.

for that to happen, all the NH4NO3 has to be in a pressure vessel.

i don't think you could detonate AN from a distance. you need a detonator placed right in it.

https://twitter.com/saadmohseni/status/1290678176574779395

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There was supposedly a ship that was in danger of sinking, so they offloaded the ammonium nitrate fertilizer... 12 years ago??!!

Edit: Just read ... "Later in the evening Lebanon's Prime Minister announced that the explosions were caused by an estimated 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate left unsecured for 6 years in a warehouse."

I make "tannerite" at home from fertilizer 34-0-0 (and aluminum powder from ebay). The fertilizer will soak up moisture, so it has to be kept dry. If moist it won't kick off. 12 years in a wharhouse on the ocean? You would think they would have sold and used the stuff.

What was with the "fireworks" in the fire?

Man Lebanon can't catch a break. Beruit was supposed to be really nice back in the 70's, before all the BS started. Now there is constant war, the money is no good, the banks are closed, and now the port has blown up. Was the grain elevator for import or export?

Mr. Phatty, tracers have the same ballistics as the other mil rounds. I shoot them at my place, but they will start a fire if the conditions are right, and they take around 100 yds to light off, so shoot long.

Tannerite is ammonium Nitrate fertilizr prills (smaller the better), coated with fine metal powder. A fast bullet will cause enough friction to kick it off. Makes a orange cloud, which isn't from burning, and will coat the surface of a pond if a jug is shot while floating. A one gallon jug of the stuff is pretty powerful. Hide a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff in a plastic trash can, and shoot it while a cop is parked next to it, and the cop car will be messed up badly. Buy the powder on ebay, fertilizer by the ton at the co-op (and divert some, cause they won't sell it for explosives). Much cheaper that what those guys are doing in the video.

Tannerite: https://youtu.be/GUODof0iQ4k?t=579

powder: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RAUAAMXQn11RbuHJ/s-l300.jpg

A dump truck full of tannerite (fiddy cal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_HRyAG2xqU

You don't do this stuff because all the shrapnel and glass will hurt tractor tires.

Last edited:
X

xavier7995

There was supposedly a ship that was in danger of sinking, so they offloaded the ammonium nitrate fertilizer... 12 years ago??!!

Edit: Just read ... "Later in the evening Lebanon's Prime Minister announced that the explosions were caused by an estimated 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate left unsecured for 6 years in a warehouse."

I make "tannerite" at home from fertilizer 34-0-0 (and aluminum powder from ebay). The fertilizer will soak up moisture, so it has to be kept dry. If moist it won't kick off. 12 years in a wharhouse on the ocean? You would think they would have sold and used the stuff.

What was with the "fireworks" in the fire?

Man Lebanon can't catch a break. Beruit was supposed to be really nice back in the 70's, before all the BS started. Now there is constant war, the money is no good, the banks are closed, and now the port has blown up. Was the grain elevator for import or export?

Mr. Phatty, tracers have the same ballistics as the other mil rounds. I shoot them at my place, but they will start a fire if the conditions are right, and they take around 100 yds to light off, so shoot long.

Tannerite is ammonium Nitrate fertilizr prills (smaller the better), coated with fine metal powder. A fast bullet will cause enough friction to kick it off. Makes a orange cloud, which isn't from burning, and will coat the surface of a pond if a jug is shot while floating. A one gallon jug of the stuff is pretty powerful. Hide a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff in a plastic trash can, and shoot it while a cop is parked next to it, and the cop car will be messed up badly. Buy the powder on ebay, fertilizer by the ton at the co-op (and divert some, cause they won't sell it for explosives). Much cheaper that what those guys are doing in the video.

Tannerite: https://youtu.be/GUODof0iQ4k?t=579

powder: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RAUAAMXQn11RbuHJ/s-l300.jpg

A dump truck full of tannerite (fiddy cal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_HRyAG2xqU

You don't do this stuff because all the shrapnel and glass will hurt tractor tires.

At one juncture the left and right came together to applaud this sort of info. Miss when we all feared the government instead of each other.

I was reminiscing on reading a lot of Kurt Saxon guides as a kid, i got them from the left revolutionary folks, but lol when I found out he was such a righty. The black separatists and white ones had more in common than they thought.

We all like dissolving Styrofoam in gas to make napalm and burn stuff.

Gry

At one juncture the left and right came together to applaud this sort of info. Miss when we all feared the government instead of each other.

I was reminiscing on reading a lot of Kurt Saxon guides as a kid, i got them from the left revolutionary folks, but lol when I found out he was such a righty. The black separatists and white ones had more in common than they thought.

We all like dissolving Styrofoam in gas to make napalm and burn stuff.
What we were able to do with impunity could well result in a kid being locked up for life today.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Aftermath photos on ZH:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/beirut-explosion-aftermath-death-toll-rises-100-4000-injured

That grain silo was where they stored the grains they imported, as I feared. Gonna be a long winter food wise. Man, 2020 is sure one for the record books.

Aye mang, it's a piece of shiet is what it is, damn 2020.
Virus crap, peeps dying, all the fun stuff is cancelled. Feels like a hangover that has lasted almost all year, can't shake it.

Here's to a better 2021, for one and all :friends:

:tiphat:

St. Phatty

Man, 2020 is sure one for the record books.

did all or most of the AN get turned into a gas ? i.e. exploded.

OOPS CORRECTION
NH4NO3 ==> mucho de Energy + N2O + H2O

N2O is Nitrous Oxide - how's that going for the pigeons in Beirut ?

doesn't quite made sense - the stoichiometry @
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213343717306425

the Hiroshima nuke was 15,000 tons (of dynamite).

not that AN is the SAME as TNT.

a micro-nuke ... 2700 tons of AN - would that be similar to 2700 tons of TNT ?

what is the conversion ?

I'm scared of nitroglycerine. i have about 4 pounds in the living room, in the form of 10 pounds of smokeless powder (for shotguns).

it's 40% nitroglycerine. the kind called "Titegroup" is SCARY stuff.

load recipes that call for 20 grains of handgun powder - call for 8 grains of Titegroup - to get the same pressure.

MAYBE that Beirut blast was comparable to a micro-nuke.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Shit happens. Add this one to the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate_disasters

I have read a .42 factor between TNT and AN. So 2.7kiloTons of AN is a 1.2 kiloton TNT blast. Small nuke size. Did the ground raise up from the shockwave?

Some good stuff in the ZH comments.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...th-toll-rises-100-4000-injured#comment_stream

Here is how the stuff got there. I buy a 1/2 ton pure AN (it now has molecular taggants to ID the batch and source), with using the buggy to tote and spread it, for around $200, so the stuff is not worth tying up a main building at their main port, for 6 years. They should have just let hezbolla have it for growing dope in the Bekka Valley. I think that was ammo going off in the building before it blew.

https://stableseas.org/blue-economy/explosion-beirut-seafarer-rights

I have no idea what's up with the chopper dropping fuel to the fire from that bambi bucket in the link.

Last edited:

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
What we were able to do with impunity could well result in a kid being locked up for life today.

crazy to think about.

my dad's poor backyard when i was in middle school/ high school, the neighbors would DEFINITELY call the cops on me for much less if i were that age today.:shucks:

armedoldhippy

Veteran

no shit! we used to take m-80s, cut them open, & pour the powder into big plastic pill bottles. wrap them "real tight" in duct tape, make a time fuse with a cigarette, and set them out in middle of school playgrounds. when those damn things went off, lights came on in all directions, and so did the sirens, lol. it was a lot of fun being a pain in the ass in those days, lol...:dance013:

St. Phatty

no shit! we used to take m-80s, cut them open, & pour the powder into big plastic pill bottles. wrap them "real tight" in duct tape, make a time fuse with a cigarette, and set them out in middle of school playgrounds. when those damn things went off, lights came on in all directions, and so did the sirens, lol. it was a lot of fun being a pain in the ass in those days, lol...:dance013:

what i did to country mail boxes when i was a kid (going along with the group)

= one of the reasons i pay for a PO box now.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
what i did to country mail boxes when i was a kid (going along with the group)

= one of the reasons i pay for a PO box now.

lol. i destroyed a Halloween pumpkin or two (generally mine) but got the bit about it being a federal offense to damage anything associated with the mail.:shucks: understand "going along" though...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Amonium Nitrate is fertilizer. As with Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma City, the stuff has to be combined with diesel fuel to be combustable, right. You don't hear about Home Depots blowing up because someone was smoking in the garden center.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran

We did that as kids with a foot long copper pipe. Filled it up with gun powder and sealed the ends, thing had a little hole where we put a sparkler and light it up next to a tree in this little hole we dug in the snow. Then ran away, waited a while, and a while longer..

Nothing happened so one kid was like "I'ma go check it out", soon as he said it, massive explosion! Fucking tree fell down half way, it was like 8pm in a pretty secluded area, but we knew it was trouble. 10-15 minutes later we were far enough to say we didn't do it!
All kindsa cop cars and fire dept came. There was a small article in the local news paper; cops had found the copper pipe stuck in another tree. "We suspect kids did this, don't play with explosives lil' bitches!" was the gist of the article.

Wish I could say that was the last time we did stuff like that, but damn it mang! Blowing shit up is cool as long as no one is seriously injured. I don't recommend it, but I understand :tiphat:

White Beard

Reports suggest it was ammonium nitrate for the BIG bang: street scenes following the blast look like AN; prior to the boom, it looked *just* like fireworks, not ammunition