What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many days into flowering should one pollenate?

Treevly

A 'pollen specialy' company says 24-32 days. Other say "as soon as you see the whites of their hairs." What's the word here?
Thanks.

NB: [Hybrids, more Ind. than Sat.]

gorilla ganja

3-4 weeks is what i do, so they are right.
Depends on how many seeds you want. A light dusting eariler will still give you lots of seed.

Chappi

The earlier you pollinate the less seeds you’ll get but they will be mature and of great quality. The later on you pollinate the more seeds you will get but the quality of the seeds won’t be as good. Depends what you’re going for.

brickweeder

I like to pollinate buds between 2-3 weeks. 2-week buds are sparse, so I usually hit them again a week later. I like to shoot for at least 5 weeks from the last pollination before harvest. For long flowering sats, maybe week 3-6, just give your plant enough time to finish the seeds with a buffer.

Treevly

The earlier you pollinate the less seeds you’ll get but they will be mature and of great quality. The later on you pollinate the more seeds you will get but the quality of the seeds won’t be as good. Depends what you’re going for.

That makes sense to me. I have some seeds which look OK but were late pollinating, and I am worried about the quality. In fact, the early male is from one of those seeds so I am going to be cautious about what I pollinate with it.

Treevly

I like to pollinate buds between 2-3 weeks. 2-week buds are sparse, so I usually hit them again a week later. I like to shoot for at least 5 weeks from the last pollination before harvest. For long flowering sats, maybe week 3-6, just give your plant enough time to finish the seeds with a buffer.

Good advice, except I can't agree with this part: ""... so I usually hit them again a week later."" I did that and ended up with seeds with two separate 'best maturity' dates on the same plant, another headache. Even if I use 2 separate types of pollen on a muther I will do it all in a period no longer than 2 days, max.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Agreed! Usually 1.5-2 weeks after seeing pistils and early bud formation.

Treevly

If 6 weeks maximum is a good cook, that or even 5 weeks requires a 15-21 August pollination for a Sept. 30 harvest. I should go sooner rather than later, and these critters look pretty horny, so I may just count white hairs in mid-Aug. and go then. If they are showing decent white hair, is that good enough to pollinate?

HAZENACIOUS

It varies from strain to strain. As a general rule you should pollinate when the buds look something like this:

picture.php