What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orient Express Outdoors 2020

Kindest

Repotting time. Today we’re doing the smallest but the most rootbound. I’ve been calling her Laura Bush.

I’m up-potting from 10 gallon to 30 gallon fabric pots. I used 1.5 additional bags of my Michigan organic super soil, and one 25 pound bag of extra worm casting mixed in.

Supplies
picture.php

Cutting away the 10 gallon pot. There was not any root circling - the smart pots actually worked.
picture.php

Carefully setting her inside after massaging the roots loose around the edges
picture.php

Now she looks tiny again
picture.php

I heavily watered with plain water afterwards. Hopefully she won’t be too shocked by the big move. I’ll probably do another one in the next few days - I need more soil ooof.

Kindest

I transplanted OE #2 into her final 30 gallon pot this morning. I call her Vida Blue and she’s the hardiest of the three OEs. She’s tall but not as sativa leaning as OE #3 and has shorter intermodal spacing more like the squatty Laura Bush that I up-potted yesterday.

Both transplants appear very happy at the moment. Watering is becoming a significant task.

picture.php

Kindest

I’m not sure when outdoor growers count day one of flowering, but I’d say we’re starting to flower here in southern Michigan. Regardless, I have no doubt these will be outdoors until at least the end of September.

The transplants were still very happy today, no issues.

Too early to chop? :biglaugh:
picture.php

Doing my best to keep the critters at bay
picture.php

Kindest

Beautiful sativa expression on VB#1.
picture.php

Laura Bush transplant was successful
picture.php

Vida Blue VB#2 transplant was also a success
picture.php

The Pure Loves are farther along in early flowering
picture.php

I love my outdoor grow room
picture.php

bibi40

Great thread , great grow , great plants !!!

That' s it :dance013:

Not a sativa or landrace lover ,
but give me envy to try some Ace :peacock:

Kindest

Hmmm Laura Bush is a little pissed off. She’s starting to throw off these gross yellow leaves more towards the top of the canopy. I can tell that OE#3 is about to do the same thing.

I’m wondering if I should do a week of water only? I have a feeling I’ve overdone it with the Fox Farm nutes.

picture.php

picture.php

squatty

Beautiful plants about to become even more beautiful!

Plain water rarely hurts a plant.

You were pondering over when your plants start to flower outdoors. I keep written records of my outdoor grow each year. I usually end up declaring start of flower after the fact. When I see the branches changing and notice them beginning to push out pistils all at once I'll usually declare start of flower a few days prior.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Kindest,

What's the ph and ec in your waterings and feedings ? If this plant has not been transplanted then a transplant to clean new rich soil will fix the problem.

Kindest

Unfortunately Dubi it’s the first squatty pheno that I transplanted a couple weeks ago! It’s probably a ph issue - I have a new digital meter in the way today. When I transplanted to the 30 gallon pots I had to forgo the RO water I had been bringing outside to use direct well water instead.

Hopefully this is reversible, it’s come on fairly rapid. Any advice is appreciated.

I also lollipopped the two VBs as much as I felt comfortable doing. Each plant still has probably 40-50 large tops. They are still big beautiful girls.

picture.php

She has new growth since transplant but has 10-15 rotting leaves mid canopy per day
picture.php

Transplant OE#2 Vida Blue is much healthier
picture.php

The third OE#3 is still in her original 10 gallon pot and is also healthy
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Kindest,

Glad to hear you have invest in a ph and ec digital meter. Kindly let me know the ph and ec of your waterings and feedings and do a strong flush with rain/RO water to the plant showing the problem and measure the ph and ec of the outgoing water too, then we will have more data to try to know what's the problem.

Kindest

Dubi I must say I’ve learned a lot about ph and ec in the past week. I admit I’ve always taken a very casual approach to watering and feeding; I would occasionally gauge my ph with the little color indicator vials, but nothing exact and I had not balanced any of my feedings to this point. These pens have really opened my eyes!

I’ve always suffered from brittle plants that finished too early. Now I see why. These OEs signaled to me they were getting locked out due to salt buildup early enough that I think I’ve corrected with a very large RO water flush. Large amounts of nutes were dropping my ph dramatically and I wasn’t adjusting back up....Now I am measuring and adjusting religiously.

The only thing I still need to do is gather runoff from the 30 gallon plants to better understand their current ph.... I’ve been able to do it with the smaller ones. But the yellowing has slowed and they are still stretching. I’ll report back with more science but I think it was DEFINITELY lockout.

gsxr97

Veteran
Game Changer

Game Changer

I am exactly in the same boat. I need to pony up and get a PH/EC meter like yourself, and also a RO system for indoor.

Crazy when you realize what you have been missing with a single tool. I know I need to be able to test like you are doing, and for indoor going to level playing field and have an RO system like any serious grower has.

Hoping your harvest is the best yet

Thanks !

Dubi I must say I’ve learned a lot about ph and ec in the past week. I admit I’ve always taken a very casual approach to watering and feeding; I would occasionally gauge my ph with the little color indicator vials, but nothing exact and I had not balanced any of my feedings to this point. These pens have really opened my eyes!

I’ve always suffered from brittle plants that finished too early. Now I see why. These OEs signaled to me they were getting locked out due to salt buildup early enough that I think I’ve corrected with a very large RO water flush. Large amounts of nutes were dropping my ph dramatically and I wasn’t adjusting back up....Now I am measuring and adjusting religiously.

The only thing I still need to do is gather runoff from the 30 gallon plants to better understand their current ph.... I’ve been able to do it with the smaller ones. But the yellowing has slowed and they are still stretching. I’ll report back with more science but I think it was DEFINITELY lockout.

Last edited:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have 1 fem'd seed sitting here looking at me as if it is pleading to be planted.The OE has a respectable terpine profile as well,which is attractive to me.

I shoulda bought more seeds. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts