What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you think this is magnesium deficiency?

The123321

Do you think this is magnesium deficiency?

I have 2 miracle berry autoflower plants that are on day 33 that have what looks like magnesium deficiency.

Here are the details.

32x32 tent with kingbrite 240w led quantum board on like 80% power like 30" from the plants and the temperature is around 77 - 81f with around 50 - 60% rh.

2 plants in 50% 50% coco perlite in 3 gallon fabric pots.

The biotabs line for the nutrients with 2 biotabs and startrex and mycotrex and bactrex and silicium flash following the just add tap water guide https://biotabs.nl/pdfs/organic-growing-manual-en.pdf and I also do real growers recharge 1 time every 2 weeks. I water every day around 1/4 gallon per day.

I water with only tap water that has ascrobic acid vitamin c powder in it to remove chloramine from the water with ph of 5.8-6.2 on there.

I do not use calmag. The biotabs guide does not list that you need it. I tried putting a little epsom salt in water in a spray bottle that I sprayed the plants with like 3 different times and I tried putting a little epsom salt in the water I feed the plants with like 2 times. I plan to use biobizz light mix soil instead of coco in the future. What do you think? I want to make sure this looks like magnesium deficiency before I do more to work on that on there.

Last edited:
V

voidpainter

Hi, definitely Mg issue. Not a coco expert but to me it looks like on top of Mg you have an issue with salt buildup. You don’t mention whether you feed until runoff?

The123321

Thanks. I do not water to runoff. The biotabs line is in the coco on there and I do not use salt based liquid nutrients in it. You think it is magnesium then? I would like to use epsom salt to try to work on the magnesium deficiency. What would you recommend on there?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Coco is well known for needing a lot of Cal/Mag. After you foliar feed please give it about 4 days and you will see a difference. The current leaves on the plant might not recover good, but the new growth will show up fine. You will need to keep up the foliar feeding though. Mag deficiency shows interveinal chlorisis where the area between the veins turns yellow and eventually dies. The veins still are green for a while.

V

voidpainter

Water is disolving your tabs and carries the nutes around in “salt” form, they might be congested in the coco if you don’t water till runoff, hence buildup. Water till runoff.

Maybe a coco expert will give you detailed info here.

I’d start with 0.8-1.0g per Liter. The damaged leaves won’t repair, watch new shots of leaves.

But this might not solve your issues if you’re having buildup.

Do you have an EC or pH meter?

The123321

Thanks. I plan to start watering 1 time per week with coconut water and I read that has magnesium in it. I plan to spray water with epsom salt in it on the leaves to try that. The biotabs are organic nutrients then from what I read microbes then move the nutrients to the plants. I follow the biotabs guide and it does not require runoff or ec measuring. The link to the guide is in the post. I do ph the water to 5.8 - 6.2 on there.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Most tap water is really low in calcium and magnesium, when I run soil it really helps a ton using Calimag, and when I was running coco it was required to not get magnesium or calcium deficiencies. But my tapwater comes out at like 70 ppm or something really low.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks. I do not water to runoff. The biotabs line is in the coco on there and I do not use salt based liquid nutrients in it. You think it is magnesium then? I would like to use epsom salt to try to work on the magnesium deficiency. What would you recommend on there?
You are growing in coco duh! yes you must run off!

I don't know why coco is recommended to newbies. Get your wings so to speak on soil and grow from there.

I am not going to blow sunshine where the sun don't shine. You have been winging it from the get go. Learn to walk before you run grasshopper. It seems every day you have a new problem/question. Some of your woes did not occur over night! :tiphat:

picture.php

Best book out there to learn the ropes!

The123321

Thanks. I have read that most people that grow in coco often use liquid salt based nutrients. I am using organic dry amendments in the coco with microbes. If you water to runoff with organic dry amendments with microbes you lose part of the dry amendments and the microbes. I am not using the kind of nutrients that most people that grow in coco use. I am following the guide from biotabs and it does not require watering to runoff. I do think it is magnesium deficiency and I plan to start watering 1 time per week with coconut water that I have read has some nutrients and I plan to try more foliar feed with like 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt in like 1/12 gallon water on there.

V

voidpainter

Yeah, just follow the guide. Add all that stuff. Should be fine in a week or two.

inspector-clouseau-the-pink-panther-cartoon-image-png-favpng-FX1RRt0D6eAyxCuBtcR9x2Pjv.jpg

calisun

I would pull one out of the pot and check the root ball. Look for anything living like root aphids or soil gnats, see if roots are white or if you have any root rot. Do you have any flyers? Test your run off pH.. That's where I would start.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks. I have read that most people that grow in coco often use liquid salt based nutrients. I am using organic dry amendments in the coco with microbes. If you water to runoff with organic dry amendments with microbes you lose part of the dry amendments and the microbes. I am not using the kind of nutrients that most people that grow in coco use. I am following the guide from biotabs and it does not require watering to runoff. I do think it is magnesium deficiency and I plan to start watering 1 time per week with coconut water that I have read has some nutrients and I plan to try more foliar feed with like 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt in like 1/12 gallon water on there.
Well I would strongly suggest you contact those folks, for their suggestions.

The123321

Thanks. I read through that and I do think it is a magnesium deficiency. I am going to do a top dressing tomorrow with coconut water and I think that is going to work. I think that would help the plants on there. If it does not I would try different things to work on there.

Latest posts

Latest posts