What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lower buds versus upper buds on autoflowers

Klompen

It seems like a great deal about how the growth process works is different in the day neutral strains of cannabis, but what I want to know is if the buds mature the same way that photoperiod strains do. Photoperiod plants mature fastest at the apex and can be harvested in stages to make the maturity of the bud more uniform. In my extensive experience with side-lighting, I discovered that while you can greatly increase lower bud development; the buds still mature slower and are of lower density. Do day-neutral plants do this or are all the buds uniformly mature based on their age? If so, would this not mean that side-lighting might be a lot bigger deal in day neutral strains?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If light is horizontal yes- what I want to know is if the buds mature the same way that photoperiod strains do. Photoperiod plants mature fastest at the apex and can be harvested in stages to make the maturity of the bud more uniform.
No earthly idea of "day neutral strains".

Outdoors, if in full sunlight like South facing, plants finish almost at the same time.

Vertical lighting, depending on lumens, helps maturity overall.

Klompen

Yeah the Phototron was actually a big inspiration for my project! Conceptually the idea is fantastic in many regards even if the implementation wasn't perfect. Those things are probably a collectable by now.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I pulled apart an old photon and used it to build a pl-l cab. Good results!

I have found autos to generally mature at the same rate throughout the plant. The relatively small size makes for more even light coverage of buds. It all depends on the size of the plant.

For those wondering, daylight neutral refers to the true auto flowering trigger. That means it will flower even under 24 hours of light. If a plant can be kept in vege with a light schedule then it is photoperiod dependent and not a true autoflowering plant.

Klompen

Oh man the talk of PL-L tubes reminds me of one grow I saw where the guy took clear tubes and put PL-L lamps inside them around the inside of a trash can and it packed the can solid with bud. Saw that back on Overgrow, but its probably still around on some site somewhere!