What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

buying undeveloped land... would you?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Would you buy undeveloped acres of land? If so where?

I can imagine owning a couple to a few acres of raw land that's maybe close to a river and just disappearing for months at a time. Some place where it doesnt get TOO DAMN cold over the winter.

Has this ever crossed your mind?

K

KSP

Sure does, and sure will. I'll be looking to pick up something in the country, to build a straw bale home on - for use as my primary residence.

supermanlives

Veteran
i dont mind the cold. actually looking at land in maine . so rural there is no name just lot numbers. want atleast 40 acres. so cal in winter and maine when its warm

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
im looking for land right now.....buying undeveloped has its advantages and disadvantages..

good things = its cheaper for sure, usually can find reasonable owner financing with lower down payments on raw land, lots of privacy, off grid...

bad things = no creature comforts, you might have to pave a road to the property $$$....gotta install a well for water (about 15k)......gotta drop a trailer or some kind of living quarters.....if you want to run power it costs more money to bring out the line

i was looking at both and realized i dont want to deal with all the bullshit, there are plenty of affordable properties that already have nice houses built on them, with septics, wells, power, and everything you need already done, so you focus on living and growing instead of infrastructure upgrades......

s

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
bad things = no creature comforts, you might have to pave a road to the property $$$....gotta install a well for water (about 15k)......gotta drop a trailer or some kind of living quarters.....if you want to run power it costs more money to bring out the line

...difficult to impossible to get a loan (if necessary)...

supermanlives

Veteran
4 wheel drive, water source. trailor and generator. done it before. no lines for many miles where i am buying

H

h^2 O

absolutely, You can put a tent up while you're building a place. Or get a trailer. I would clear some timber then build a little cabin that I could live in until I undertook the making of a legit house...bigger and done with professional help. If you own the land it doesn't matter how poor you are, you can just put up a tent and have campfires and what not. If it's close to a water source even better. I might have about 50 acres coming to me after some of the older folks in the family die, right on a middle of the nowhere dead end road with power and a stream in the back side of the property. I'd buy a used movable trailer like an airstream and live in that and hook up the electricity.

Marick23

Some place where it doesnt get TOO DAMN cold over the winter. Has this ever crossed your mind?[/quote said:
Funny you mentioned that. Last year I purchased 20 acres in Co. Stupid cheap. Last Christmas we went to check on it... First time in winter... Know anyone looking for 20 acres in Co?

I know a family friend who bought property in the last 6 months, then took down several Oaks, Spruce and Pines that he sold and cover his down payment and several improvements to the 70's era home. Look for something like that. He actually had to take them down just to clear some defensible space and clear out dense areas.

K

KSP

Land contract with some down if you can't get a loan. Selling some of the timber could help afterwards if you want to do that - can also get a mill for your chainsaw and saw your own lumber from your own trees. Live in a yurt if the climate is good enough for it, otherwise an old trailer until you can build. Generator until you can either hook up to the grid or get your solar up and going.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I would buy undeveloped land but I'd be real fucking picky. I want some interesting terrain, and spring, stream, or river running thru or bordering it.

Then I'll build a fucking grow-fort.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
another option along with selling of sum trees......is to have the land excavated .... and sell off the removed.....dirt or what not

last year my Family removed over 60k worth of Gravel and sold it off our 60 acre farm and paid for the place in full.....

might help with the initial cost and overhead

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
no actuLLY just cleared and cut out alot of unneeded....terrain....
and the 2 main pits have now been filled and used to raise and {sell} Rainbow Trout....

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im looking for land right now.....buying undeveloped has its advantages and disadvantages..

good things = its cheaper for sure, usually can find reasonable owner financing with lower down payments on raw land, lots of privacy, off grid...

i was looking at both and realized i dont want to deal with all the bullshit, there are plenty of affordable properties that already have nice houses built on them, with septics, wells, power, and everything you need already done, so you focus on living and growing instead of infrastructure upgrades......

s

exactly...

some think there getting a great deal, but in the end, the stress is never worth any amount of money..... to me that is..

maybe I'm not cut out for that shit though.. call me a city slicker if you like..

to me, if I needed money, I know 100 ways to save money, or make money. and buying vacant land aint one of them..

ijim

Build a cabin. Make a cistern and collect rain water with solar hot water. You don't need a large solar electric system to run a 12volt pump, lights, laptop and satellite receiver. You can rent a loader and clear the lot and make an access road yourself. That would give you a couple of years of fire wood. People do it everyday. You don't need all of those things advertisers have been telling you need all these years. Just a place you can call home, a good woman and dog. In that order. And the balls to tell the commercial world to kiss your ass.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
no actuLLY just cleared and cut out alot of unneeded....terrain....
and the 2 main pits have now been filled and used to raise and {sell} Rainbow Trout....

Awesome... How'd they find out about this gravel hustle? Neighbor did it? Approached?

What else is there...

-Selling the timber.

-Selling mineral rights...

-Other deposits?

Things to take off the list:

-Fracking... fracturing the shale below to collect natural gas... It poisons the entire water table.

-Hunting lease... you dont want those fuckers near your outdoor plants!

K

KSP

I would stay FAR away from selling mineral rights. I've seen a lot of land just lain waste by mineral resource extraction outfits that had mineral rights to a piece of ground. Bad juju.

Awesome... How'd they find out about this gravel hustle? Neighbor did it? Approached?

What else is there...

-Selling the timber.

-Selling mineral rights...

-Other deposits?

Things to take off the list:

-Fracking... fracturing the shale below to collect natural gas... It poisons the entire water table.

-Hunting lease... you dont want those fuckers near your outdoor plants!

Do your due diligence man, especially on mineral/gas/etc rights, many times they have already been sold decades ago and they DO NOT have to disclose in some states.

Even if you owned the land free and clear, they are still coming for your property taxes.

Latest posts

Latest posts