What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone here remember Florida strains?

I am originally from the Tampa Bay Area. I never had the chance to try it that I can recall, but I remember in the 90’s a lot of local names for the older, locally grown, high-potency stuff from before the kush/dank/etc verbiage: Skunk Ape, Micanopy Madness, Gainesville Green, Swamp Monster, Crippy, etc.

1. Was this indeed one strain/a consistent pheno?

2. Would you recognize the plant/bud if you saw it again?

3. What was the smell/taste/high like?

heatherlonglee

Gainesville Green
Grew up smoking this in Gainesville and was the "it" strain everyone wanted to have. 1993-1998 was when I was getting this bud.

1. I think the Gainesville hippies in "Merlyville/Fort Ganja" grew this strain. Consistent appearance I have no idea if from clone or seed. I always got Gainesville Green from people who had "Fort Ganja/Merlyville" hook ups.

2. I would possibly recognize it if I had it in person, not by photo.

3. Best mid grade you ever saw. Better than most dispensary weed still. Light green, light evergreen smell. Connoisseur tasting great lime green, pine, and skunk taste.

Thank you heatherlonglee! I haven't even managed to find photos confirmed as genuine for comparison. I can't even find the old Orange and Blue writeup I see referenced.

Unfortunately, I'm a younger Florida native born just a bit too late (I wasn't passed a joint until mid-late 1990s). I spent my youth following a uniquely local music scene where Cannabis was common, as were what we saw back then as "old-timers", who we always looked up to and respected. That's who would talk about this stuff, as if to say, "you should have been here 5-10 years ago, kid". By then, everyone my age would just classify bud as schwag, mids, or crippy/kind/dank/chronic/sounds-coolest-this-year, and I honestly have no clue whether I ever even saw any of these Florida legends in person. I was too poor (dirt) to be buying anything considered mids for myself, much less anything better. My parents were incredibly anti-hippie and anti-cannabis (raging alcoholic Vietnam Vet father, go figure), and would even tell me that the legendary Florida Skunk Ape was not Bigfoot at all, but just a joke referring to the combined smell of "hippie farms with hippie farmers".

I spent a lot of time hiking, camping, exploring, and hunting there, too. Saw plenty of funny-looking, funny-smelling palmetto bushes over the years, the general locations of which I will take with me to the grave. Never ever touched a single one, I was always in awe and respected the hell out of that chutzpah. The most Florida thing I ever saw? One of these more, ah, unique palmetto species, growing with a real palmetto, with a gopher tortoise burrow in front of it. And, as anyone casually exploring Florida knew to expect back then, a reasonably sized Eastern Diamondback was enjoying said burrow's "front porch". Mmm. Gotta stop before I get too homesick. It wouldn't take much to convince me to return.

I recently began gardening to make my own medicine the first time [not Florida], and the more I read, the more I started seeing some of those familiar names pop up. Another one was "Xmas" bud, I had only heard that that's because it was "like smoking a Christmas Tree, kid, lights and all", but it seems reading deeper now that it was a fairly widespread thing in the Eastern US, and was just available around Xmas time. Also, imagine my surprise, after a youth spent being shit on by rich transplant kids, while watching their parents tear down my beloved pine lowlands to build their McMansions and subdivisions, to read about the origins of OG.

Florida will always be home, and I still have many of my closest brothers and sisters living there. I love reading non-hyped, non-BS stories of real Florida, especially when it comes to the eccentric and outlaw. So, book recommendations are always encouraged!

Just a humble student of history and legends.

I was originally from N east fla, remember the Gainsville Green well, epic creative high..

Crippie as well... wheelchair smoke and NOT cheap even years ago..

Remembering 3 oz. Of Oaxaca Gold I copped thru my older brothers friend when I was 17.. To only have some viable seed from this... I just picked up 2 pks of Purple Satilliete from green mountain seed..

79 Oaxaca Skull x Baglung Nepali

Again, I make no claims, I just where the seeds were and approximately when the seeds were from. First pheno.
picture.php

Second pheno.

picture.php