What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like how many names has the original josh clone got and how different are these clones,,, phylos has had a right hop harr on this topic

An the Sfv being renamed as Paris og,,, what's the real deal?

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have personally watched an og clone take on change while being held by two different people for a very long time. I don't know what causes it, but it is more than just varying from grow room to grow room. Grown in the same room after so much time they look like different phenos. One has acquired a sweeter taste while losing some citrus flavor, while the other kept the citrus but is a lighter green.

Both cuts came from the same tray of clones.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have personally watched an og clone take on change while being held by two different people for a very long time. I don't know what causes it, but it is more than just varying from grow room to grow room. Grown in the same room after so much time they look like different phenos. One has acquired a sweeter taste while losing some citrus flavor, while the other kept the citrus but is a lighter green.

Both cuts came from the same tray of clones.

Soil and amendment/nutrient differences? Even if the two growers were using same of everything, I'm sure they don't feed them at the same times with exactly the same amount.

Phenotype is the outward expression of it's characteristic due to environment. Phenotypes change, but genotype doesn't?

How long did it take to start changing? Have they stopped changing yet, or are they still "morphing"?

I guess it would be a cool experiment. Grow same clones in different environments and different nutrient plans. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to completely change.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
It happens. The phenotypic plasticity thing. Especially with OG.

I have people always hounding me for my cut because they know it’s got the full package. Nothing has been lost in translation here. I also grow it the same way since I’ve had it, same nutrients same everything. The same way most people were growing it in the 90s. Very simple and it knocks it out of the park EVERY TIME.
I have seen OG take on different expressions absolutely. It’s all about how you keep your mothers. If they aren’t 100% happy and fed correctly you’re already starting off at a disadvantage.

Thing is with OG even a shitty batch blows most shit out of the water and I feel like someone growing consistently shitty batches is going to change the expression of the plant eventually. I don’t know all the scientific terms for this shit but it’s real.

And EnglishRick.... I have a lot of different cuts traced back to the Josh original cutting. Tahoe and Fire being two of them. The first renames a la sfv Tahoe Fire etc were all renames of the Josh.

I still don’t get why everyone thinks the sfv is the best of the bunch. Shits garbage and has been whored out and passed around so much you can’t even find a legit one.

A lot of the people I see posting pics of their sfv on here i just chuckle. As long as it works for them I guess.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is incredible information,,,

What do you think would happen if you took both clones back into the same growroom,, then back to 100% apical meristem and ran from tc,,, both being in the same,,,, would they become similar in just a few rounds of rapid cloning,, or is this placticity a full epigenetic variation or somaclonal variation??

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was the josh and the bty from the same tray of originally identical clones?

Josh = josh, ghost,,,,?

Bty = sfv, Paris og,, ?

This a really interesting form of biodiversity in colonial ganja,,, fascinating

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It happens. The phenotypic plasticity thing. Especially with OG.

I have people always hounding me for my cut because they know it’s got the full package. Nothing has been lost in translation here. I also grow it the same way since I’ve had it, same nutrients same everything. The same way most people were growing it in the 90s. Very simple and it knocks it out of the park EVERY TIME.
I have seen OG take on different expressions absolutely. It’s all about how you keep your mothers. If they aren’t 100% happy and fed correctly you’re already starting off at a disadvantage.

Thing is with OG even a shitty batch blows most shit out of the water and I feel like someone growing consistently shitty batches is going to change the expression of the plant eventually. I don’t know all the scientific terms for this shit but it’s real.

And EnglishRick.... I have a lot of different cuts traced back to the Josh original cutting. Tahoe and Fire being two of them. The first renames a la sfv Tahoe Fire etc were all renames of the Josh.

I still don’t get why everyone thinks the sfv is the best of the bunch. Shits garbage and has been whored out and passed around so much you can’t even find a legit one.

A lot of the people I see posting pics of their sfv on here i just chuckle. As long as it works for them I guess.

ghe?,,, i believe I managed to maintain fantastic mothers with what I called rapid cloning,, it's where you grow a plant as fast as possible,, usaly under nft and metal halide,, you take only the ultimate tips,, then I keep mothers on formulex until I need a new mother and then I do the rapid cloning tek again to replace mothers

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Was the josh and the bty from the same tray of originally identical clones?

Josh = josh, ghost,,,,?

Bty = sfv, Paris og,, ?

This a really interesting form of biodiversity in colonial ganja,,, fascinating

I’m pretty sure the Bty is the Josh. Wendull can chime in and tell you more.

The josh is the original clone that came from Florida. I only call it the josh if it came directly from josh in one way or another which is easy to confirm. Everything else is suspect in my eyes.

Paris is whatever Kenji and the soul assassin guys had renamed. I can’t tell you what they were running exactly but they are some of the very first people to smoke OG so I would take a guess and say they do have the josh. That was renamed to jet fuel too.

And you can trace the ghost back to Orgnkid who got his from josh so there you go.

Lots of fuckery going on I know. Welcome to the land of confusion.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
This is incredible information,,,

What do you think would happen if you took both clones back into the same growroom,, then back to 100% apical meristem and ran from tc,,, both being in the same,,,, would they become similar in just a few rounds of rapid cloning,, or is this placticity a full epigenetic variation or somaclonal variation??

I’d like to see someone do some Tcs on the first set of renames just to see what we would get. That’s a fantastic idea man.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes,, definitely the mosy interesting thought I've had in a while,,

So what would be the list to check?

Bro,, we are in the same boat with cheese and Brightside,, i know how you feel,, but me having a brakedown,, it got lost,, now everything that comes back seems wrong

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So,, leme get this straight bro,, all of them are potentially identical cuts from the same tray originally,,, wow,, this is massive for epigenetic research in cannabis and our understanding of possible biodiversity in asexualy reproduced cannabis plants in the colonial bracket

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
It’s really not too hard to wrap your head around if you were around at the time in Los Angeles and SoCal.

The clone got hyped up and josh started giving it to his buddies. One took it up to Tahoe, thus the Tahoe OG. The clone ended up being sold to raskal and he named it Fire OG.

The prefix to the OG had nothing to do with genetics. It was used as a moniker to differentiate the different sources and grows of it. Some were so stellar that those names maintained notoriety and were desired by smokers and growers through the flowers of them being sold in medical dispensaries.

Diablo OG was the house grown OG of RDC in Reseda, Fire OG would be found in multiple shops from raskals grows. Josh would tag names onto his crops sometimes just because. One of the more memorable ones being Mossimo OG, which was sold in Hollywood shops for upwards of 80 and eighth in the early 2000s.

The name game has always been attached to this. It sucks because it muddies the waters when trying to find out what’s what.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
This is the cut I have. This is what I could find photo wise on my phone. I haven’t taken pictures of my grows in a couple years. The novelty of showing off my buds to people trough photos kinda wore off. I just let the smoke speak for itself these days lol. But I will definitely get some new ones once I get my grow built back out. I’ve been out of commission for like 6 months and I’m just about to get up and running again. Pretty stoked on that. Needed major electrical upgrades. The Knob and tube in my old rickety place just couldn’t hang anymore lol

picture.php

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So is that the josh D?,,, or has it got a different name in your garden

I kinda get the name,, like stamps on coke,, it's not to show quality,, it's to show location,, tahoe actually helps with a location based name to create prefix,,

it's new news to me that all these clones could easily be from the same mother,,, i understand it seems pretty obvious to you bro,, you was there,,,

but for years I've been under the assumption that after a prolonged parallel therapy session,, plants from the same mother should be indistinguishable

But then again it kinda explains the reason nobody seems to have the same cheese i had from Brightside,,

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
The only thing I think I can add to this...

In regards to "superknot"... I think it was Supernaut - as in astronaut - in regards to the effects of the high. Space cadet herb. Especially considering you have all the NASA mess there in FL.

dank.Frank

come from Black Sabbath , I want reach out and touch the sky

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
It’s really not too hard to wrap your head around if you were around at the time in Los Angeles and SoCal.

The clone got hyped up and josh started giving it to his buddies. One took it up to Tahoe, thus the Tahoe OG. The clone ended up being sold to raskal and he named it Fire OG.

The prefix to the OG had nothing to do with genetics. It was used as a moniker to differentiate the different sources and grows of it. Some were so stellar that those names maintained notoriety and were desired by smokers and growers through the flowers of them being sold in medical dispensaries.

Diablo OG was the house grown OG of RDC in Reseda, Fire OG would be found in multiple shops from raskals grows. Josh would tag names onto his crops sometimes just because. One of the more memorable ones being Mossimo OG, which was sold in Hollywood shops for upwards of 80 and eighth in the early 2000s.

The name game has always been attached to this. It sucks because it muddies the waters when trying to find out what’s what.

I was told Skywalker was the OG found in Florida around 1994 , DNA is starting to show the lineage connection as well , Even Alec describes it as darker and more rich than the recent OG's he see's , "Adam Dunn Show" / wasn't named SKY till Russian got it
Diablo / Fire same cut. RDC is correct , NoStressH got the JD cut out a lot as well
it got named at Rainbow from Kush to OG Kush

From all I know and have leaned , IM extremely confident OG came from Chem / Diesel "i.e." im gonna assume Supernaut was Chem or Chem Dom....

quite a few are S1's from banana'a from trying to get the crazy fox tail pics

Weed tracker really got all the OG's whored out to everyone

Great post most Accurate I've seen in 10 tears or so , Elite G is back around , He may be able to add something ?

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
So is that the josh D?,,, or has it got a different name in your garden

I kinda get the name,, like stamps on coke,, it's not to show quality,, it's to show location,, tahoe actually helps with a location based name to create prefix,,

it's new news to me that all these clones could easily be from the same mother,,, i understand it seems pretty obvious to you bro,, you was there,,,

but for years I've been under the assumption that after a prolonged parallel therapy session,, plants from the same mother should be indistinguishable

But then again it kinda explains the reason nobody seems to have the same cheese i had from Brightside,,

That is the plant I received from josh years back. I drove to the San Fernando Valley to meet him through a lifelong friend of mine who knew him. Funny thing is he’s not stingy with it at all. He really believes everyone should have it and he always kicks cuts down whether he knows you well or not. At least that’s how it used to be. You just had to somehow know him through someone. One of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Crazy fucker though! Hahahahaha

And yeah it’s kind of a let down when you think that there has been all this diversity in the OG gene pool but when it first came out it was either the original cutting renamed or a s1. Honestly OG selfs itself very true to type. But I still haven’t found a s1 that’s spot on and could pass as mom. There’s always certain nuances missing.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Tahoe and Fire are not the same , SFV , Tahoe , Fire , Larry , SAC 1 and 3 are different Phenos

I have tests that can show you , cannabinoid and terpene tests is a poor mans DNA tests

Do you think this would have to do with phenotypic plasticity and it could definitely be the same cut just not expressing the same?????

I’d be interested to chop it up with you and share info. I know you’ve been in the scene and may know some things I don’t.

Interesting connection on the skywalker. I’ve never heard that. Im gonna try to figure that one out too. That’s pretty sweet info if true. The most distinct terpene profiles in the family of OG cuts I feel are the Josh D and the skywalker most definitely. This is really interesting for sure.