What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD blitz - Finding a high CBD/low THC mother, from seed, in 3 weeks

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Most people growing from seed and looking for a high CBD mother will probably spend several months bringing a plant to harvest before sending a flower sample off to a lab for testing to find out CBD/THC/etc levels.

This can be especially disheartening for medical users with neither time or money on their side, to waste several months only to find that their plant has no CBD.

But the cannabinoid profile is genetically determined, and you can access it from the first true (non-cotyledon) leaves. You can send it off to a lab of course, but it's far cheaper and quicker to simply use Thin Layer Chromatography in your own home.

No flowering period required, just 2-3 weeks of seedling/vegetative phase, a little bit of luck, and some Thin Layer Chromatography. A CBD blitz.

And because we're only dealing with small seedlings and such a short time frame, this makes it possible to quickly grow out seeds, and while a small grow chamber may only be large enough to bring 1 adult plant to harvest, it would still be big enough for a dozen or so seedlings. Then after 3 weeks you simply do the chromatography tests, keep the plant(s) you want and cull/discard the rest.

You only need:
  • Seeds
  • Small pots (or plastic/foam cups
  • Grow chamber or sun or sufficient lighting
  • Thin Layer Chromatography equipment (see [my DIY TLC link])
  • 2-3 weeks time
  • A bit of luck with the genetics - seeds are dice!

Method:
  1. Germinate the seeds.
  2. Grow for 2-3 weeks (until they're big enough to take a leaf cutting).
  3. Cut a trifoliate leaf off each seedling.
  4. Use gloves to prevent cross-contamination of samples.
  5. Wrap individually in aluminium foil.
  6. Decarboxylate for 60 mins @ 125°C/257°F, to convert THCA to THC etc
  7. Use Thin Layer Chromatography to determine CBD and THC levels in each one
  8. Keep the good ones, cull/discard the rest.

For info about Thin Layer Chromatography see [this icmag thread] and [my DIY@Home tutorial]

Ok, so we start out with seeds that claim to be high CBD and low THC, and I decide that of the ~30 or so that I've got I want to run 16 on the first "blitz"...
ff9d54e436ffb12adb84200e9f918e8e-full.jpg

Fortunately all 16 germinated. I simply used cheap plastic drinking cups as the pots (some guys here have grown to harvest in those so i knew they'd be fine!). Unfortunately i forgot to add perlite to the coco coir, and only drilled one small draining hole which proved insufficient.

I could only have them under 12/12 lighting for the first two weeks, and here they are at 14 days ... this is about as early as I'd want to cut:
4de7fdca7556f880e0fe9516083dfcef-full.jpg

I had planned to take them to a full 3 weeks, but I stopped two days short on day 19, as I was getting drooping leaves from the poor aeration. Easy to fix next time.

So here they are on day 19 just before The Snip ... you can also see their letter ID that I use to assign lanes in the chromatography...
1206b9b2408a603af11a71824dc1e6e8-full.jpg

I simply take one of the trifoliate leaves from the outside of the container (where it has had no interaction with leaves from other plants).

Lanes:
A - Thunderstruck #3 (by Sin City) (non-symmetric growth)
B - Thunderstruck #2
C - Thunderstruck #1
D - Thunderstruck #4 (weird mutant)
E - Thunderstruck #5 (ingrown leaf)
F - Dinamed (by Dinafem)
G - Candida #2 (by Medical Marijuana Genetics)
H - Candida #1
I - Cannatonic #1 (by Resin Seeds)
J - Cannatonic #5
K - Cannatonic #3
L - Cannatonic #2
M - Cannatonic #4
N - Harlesin (by Sin City)
O - CBD Therapy #1 (by CBD Crew)
P - CBD Therapy #2

Now, the Thin Layer Chromatography ...

Here was the first run ...
2fc17c97183790bb71fc1023c6967210-full.jpg

The next morning I did another run just to help confirm some ...
49d7f8b7e81906ba8beba5f43a236480-full.jpg

Results
CBD only - THC only - THC+CBD

A - Thunderstruck #3
B - Thunderstruck #2
C - Thunderstruck #1

D - Thunderstruck #4
E - Thunderstruck #5
F - Dinamed
G - Candida #2
H - Candida #1

I - Cannatonic #1
J - Cannatonic #5
K - Cannatonic #3
L - Cannatonic #2
M - Cannatonic #4

N - Harlesin
O - CBD Therapy #1
P - CBD Therapy #2

I will now cull down from 16 to 4 ... (D, G, H, O). Because G & H seem identical one of those is likely to be culled also.

(Yes, i prefer THC with my CBD too, but if you just have a CBD-only strain it's easy enough to add THC "on the side" as an optional extra from another plant, plus you can provide it to family members who may only want CBD and no THC etc).

Other thoughts...
Dinamed: This is the 3rd time ive grown Dinamed. The first time was a 1:1, but the other two times were THC-only. Disappointing.
Candida: My first grow of this, and both were CBD-only, excellent result.
Cannatonic: Very disappointing to not get any CBD detection, just THC.
CBD Therapy: This is the 3rd time ive grown CBD Therapy, I've ended up with two 1:1's, and one CBD-only, so that's a pretty good return. Mosts tests put these phenos of Therapy at 20 - 25:1 [link]
Thunderstruck: Three of the five showed a form of mutation, i wonder if that's because it's a selfed S1. Either way, it was good to see them all return healthy levels of CBD, but all in the 1:1 range except for the main mutant which is CBD-only. It'll be interesting to see how it grows, because it reminds me of a Blueberry mutant i had which stopped growing after a month.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
No. You will read in more detail now :)

I didn't even realise it was possible to do this until it was too late for one of my family members who had cancer. I will not let my family go without resources again.

Or governments could simply stop the bullshit and legalise it so patients don't have extra unnecessary burdens. But until then ...

B

Bird~friend

'ello' Pheno' Not Seen You for a "While". :) Howz the Sporting life in Oz ?

-
Thought ya might of Gone Walkabout!
np (;
Use to Chat "OnChat";
I know S.P.G was there

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Birdfriend, i'm not sure who you are (and Join Date: Apr 2018), and your account settings dont allow PM's so i couldn't ask "eh?"

B

Bird~friend

" Slowtime" ... in Composing a Post has always been an issue.

... Nice Signature btw. The Length of that Rivals and probably Exceeds "the few" i use to Kart around ...lol . (not lol Really,Those were Meaningful links Gypsy. I told Everybody "t'is a GifT" on the Sig -You said 17 Youtube links is Crazy! ... ?'$@&+%
( ...pft). Perceptions! ... Like the "Big" ( Gigantic ) Redwood Tree Amongst other "Large" Redwoods. the True Perception of that is,That Would be The tree we'd ALL like to Get Too.
Never Self Praise here.

Like the Welsh Song, by Utah Saints (feat: Kate Bush)
An Endearing Aspect about that WAS when the Audience joined him Dancing, they were Just-As-Good.
...never self praise here.

Ya a Business man, :yes;
That Picture Resembles Steve Irwin in younger yrs I bet ,Pheno' .?

" Float and GLIDEE like a butterflYyyy " -as he's Scubadiving:D
... " a real beauty "

Yea ( been here since September 3rd 2010 )
18-25 names -lol

B

Bird~friend

Haha as I scroll up to follow out the usual procedure the "Speeding posts" Stop on "Thunder Struck" :D .
All Cool Darn Cool,that's by .

:)

B

Bird~friend

Not genned up now like you guys but do recall~totally that Harlequin had about the Highest CBN Content Years ago,
another too (?) The name was like a road number , R22O
( as. Example)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You're thinking of R4. There are better strains now, with a few threads on here which list names and effects. :)