What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

Americangrower

Veteran
I'm going to guess way to much flour, dough should be sticky almost wet feeling. Just dust a work area remove dough from bowl cut to size, this will take stickiness away. I then stretch into pans, let rest then make pizza's. Pizza can then either be cooked, left to rise or put in fridge for cooking later if you don't want another rise.

Breadwizard

If you kneed enough it really shouldn't be sticky at all (if you're tossing it, pan style is a different story.

I run my pizza dough at 66% hydration (ratio of water:flour by weight), with strong flour, and the dough turns out very elastic and workable once it has been properly kneaded. I always do at least a 24 hour cold ferment in the fridge, post kneading, pre-shaping. no oil or sugar, just flour, water, salt, and yeast (unless I'm doing sourdough).

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I had a pizzeria when I was a kid and used my dad's recipe (he also had one). I used it to pay for my college. Got 2 degrees and never even had to work while I was there :)

Now I just buy the dough pre-made. You can easily find a good dough, pre-frozen balls, and just load up. Easy Peasy.

Here's the old mans dough recipe
1 gallon water
4 soup spoons dry yeast
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
3/4 can 7-Up®
3 big spoons baking powder
2 cups oil
cup flour

Pepperoni
Vieau pepperoni out of Montreal.
Portion enough for 1 medium pizzas in ziploc bags and freeze.

Cheese
Cheese is 1 part Oak Grove Cheese (it's really a high fat Monterey Jack) to 4 parts Saputo Mozzarella (has a high moisture content). Shred and blend.
Freezes really well in ziploc bags. Put enough in 1 bag for 1 medium pizza.

Pizza Sauce
- 1 gallon commercial Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup oregano
- 1 cup chicken soup base
- pinch basil
- pinch garlic
- pinch nutmeg
Freeze in ziplock bags (not the cheap ones). Put enough in 1 bag for 1 medium pizza.

Everything boxed and frozen.

The most important thing in making a pizza is heat.
If you can't get to 525F, it won't be the same. It has to cook in 12 minutes. No slower. 10 minutes is great (550F)

I have a small pizza oven in my garage. It's identical to this one. I've had it for 40 years and can do 2 at a time.

IMG_20170620_110038824-e1497977722706.jpg

These steel deep dish pizza pans are the best on the planet. This picture doesn't show a good crust. I freeze them like this for the kids.
Oil generously for a nice crispy fried crust.
14_Black_Steel_501_01500_clipped_Minimal_320x320_category_9fefd6db-d57c-404b-9cc6-7719bb84fa4b_1024x1024.jpg

https://crown-cookware.myshopify.com/products/pizza-genius-pan-black-steel-deep-dish

Having said all that, the best pizza I ever had was McDonald's. That right. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I What was your recipe?

1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for oiling the bowl
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
1 teaspoom sugar

i put the sugar in the water , stir, then add the yeast, and let it sit for 5+ mins

in the mixer i put the flour/salt/evoo and mix - when the water/sugar yeast combo has bubbled , i add it to the flour mixture and run it on low for a few mins ... then let it rest for 5mins, then continue the mixing for 6-8mins or till it comes together

out of bowl and kneld it for a few more mins, then oil it, into an oiled bowl and let it rise in the towel-covered bowl ontop of my cable box for 1-2hrs.... then out of the bowl punch it down, cut it into 2 pieces, form it back into a ball, more oil, onto a metal sheet covered with saran wrap, into the fridge overnite or 2 nites..

actually last nite's pie crust was tasty and airy... but the stretching was a bitch...

Breadwizard

So with some back of the envelope math, that puts your hydration somewhere between 70-85% (depending on flour compaction rate, which is why I suggest weight measuring as opposed to volume). So maybe a bit wet, but not out of line. I actually think that is too much yeast for a small batch of dough, especially if you're doing a long fridge ferment (typically using that quantity of yeast is for a same day bread). I'd actually try halving the yeast next time. A picture would help with further diagnosis.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I try to work with warm dough. Makes streaching easier.

I've made pizza, from flour to table in 30 minutes. It rises in the oven while its cooking.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
A picture would help with further diagnosis.

ok next friday when i make more dough, should it start breaking apart, i'll take some pics - i did notice that dough i bought from my local italian store was 'a lot' more moist then my dough... i will use less yeast next week n let u know
thanks for all the replies

shithawk420

Veteran
I had a pizzeria when I was a kid and used my dad's recipe (he also had one). I used it to pay for my college. Got 2 degrees and never even had to work while I was there :)

Now I just buy the dough pre-made. You can easily find a good dough, pre-frozen balls, and just load up. Easy Peasy.

Here's the old mans dough recipe
1 gallon water
4 soup spoons dry yeast
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
3/4 can 7-Up®
3 big spoons baking powder
2 cups oil
cup flour

Pepperoni
Vieau pepperoni out of Montreal.
Portion enough for 1 medium pizzas in ziploc bags and freeze.

Cheese
Cheese is 1 part Oak Grove Cheese (it's really a high fat Monterey Jack) to 4 parts Saputo Mozzarella (has a high moisture content). Shred and blend.
Freezes really well in ziploc bags. Put enough in 1 bag for 1 medium pizza.

Pizza Sauce
- 1 gallon commercial Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup oregano
- 1 cup chicken soup base
- pinch basil
- pinch garlic
- pinch nutmeg
Freeze in ziplock bags (not the cheap ones). Put enough in 1 bag for 1 medium pizza.

Everything boxed and frozen.

The most important thing in making a pizza is heat.
If you can't get to 525F, it won't be the same. It has to cook in 12 minutes. No slower. 10 minutes is great (550F)

I have a small pizza oven in my garage. It's identical to this one. I've had it for 40 years and can do 2 at a time.

View Image

These steel deep dish pizza pans are the best on the planet. This picture doesn't show a good crust. I freeze them like this for the kids.
Oil generously for a nice crispy fried crust.
View Image
https://crown-cookware.myshopify.com/products/pizza-genius-pan-black-steel-deep-dish

Having said all that, the best pizza I ever had was McDonald's. That right. Too bad they don't make it anymore.
dude,i was starting to believe you till you said mcdonalds.i heard it was ok but no fucking way is it any way shape or form any good.maybe im spoiled cause im from chicago but no fucking way

Americangrower

Veteran
IDK what kind of pizza you are making but eggs, milk, baking powder and oil make it a cake recipe not pizza. At least not an Italian pizza.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
thanks guys for the comments- mixing the yeast in warm water with sugar till foamy def was the trick...

this week i added some white wine to the recipe... i think 1/4 cup- the dough was good... tho not sure if the wine added anything to the recipe...

kerbiili

Hmmm, i love pizzas. Here is couple pizzas i made.

Pan pizza
20181109-174844.jpg

20181109-175032.jpg

Tried to make pizza in grill, didnt get enough high heat.
20180808-202552.jpg

Pizza made at work
20180713-213011.jpg

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I used to make english muffin pizzas but havent in yerars... have been out of NY for 20+ years but.. the best pizzia I've had here in Fl was at Pavarotti in Cocoa Beach.. https://www.pizzavolafl.com/

For those of you that do not make your own and are in reasonable proximity to CocoBeach..

EDIT: I neither live no where near Coco nor have any connections to that pizza place.. it's just good pizza

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
another question on dough - i've followed some of the instruction from this thread - for instance warm water, mix in the sugar, then the yeast so it has something to feast on - so far , so good...BUT .. the crust now is fine... rises, its airy... BUT... it lacks taste compared to locally bought pizza dough... only 2 things (i think) will give it more flavor... salt and/or sugar... not sure which one (or both) to increase... any suggestions??
thanks

Americangrower

Veteran
another question on dough - i've followed some of the instruction from this thread - for instance warm water, mix in the sugar, then the yeast so it has something to feast on - so far , so good...BUT .. the crust now is fine... rises, its airy... BUT... it lacks taste compared to locally bought pizza dough... only 2 things (i think) will give it more flavor... salt and/or sugar... not sure which one (or both) to increase... any suggestions??
thanks

For sure you add salt to dough,sugar is just a pinch to activate yeast. You can also add some fresh garlic or even garlic powder/salt to the olive oil that you brush on the dough before the sauce goes on.

Latest posts

Latest posts