What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Show us your pizza creations. I make my own dough and sauce, soon gonna try making mozzerella..whats your recipe! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170315_10620.jpg
    IMG_20170315_10620.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20170315_57121.jpg
    IMG_20170315_57121.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
great idea for a thread.sorry i dont have a pic at the moment.it would be cool to get some dough recipes too

watts

ohms
Veteran
Best to use high gluten flour. I prefer NY style pizza myself.

Good detailed recipe here:

12-inch Lehmann NY Style Dough Recipe
100%, Bread flour, 7.15 oz. (202.03 g.), (1 1/2 c. plus 2 T. plus 5/8 t.)*
63%, Water (at around 100 degrees F), 4.50 oz. (127.65 g.), (1/2 c. plus 2 t.)
1%, Oil, 0.07 oz. (2.03 g.), (a bit less than 1/2 t.)
1.75%, Salt (table salt), 0.13 oz. (3.55 g.), (a bit over 5/8 t.)
0.40%, IDY (instant dry yeast), 0.03 oz. (0.81 g.), (a bit over 1/4 t.)
Total dough weight = 11.88 oz. (336.66 g.)
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.105

*note: Tom has written is that he recommends that sugar be used in the NY style dough only when
the cold fermentation period is to exceed two or three days. A typical percent might be 1-2%.

*Measure out the flour by first stirring the flour in the flour container and then repeatedly lifting
the flour from the flour container into the measuring cup(s) and leveling off the flour in the
measuring cup(s) with a flat edge (this is the "Textbook" method)

A few comments on the formulation are in order. First, since I did not have any bread flour on
hand, I weighed an equal amount of King Arthur Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour instead. If you are
using bread flour, that will be fine and the amount you will want to use should be close to what I
have set forth above. If you have a choice, I would go with the King Arthur brand of bread flour.
It is a very high quality bread flour and my favorite among the brands I have tried. Second, I
increased the amount of yeast from the levels I usually recommend, from around 0.25% to
0.40%. That was done to compensate for the fact that cold weather is upon us in most parts of
the country and one way to compensate for lower kitchen temperatures is to use more yeast (in
the summer, I would use 0.25%, or about 1/5 t. in the above formulation). The higher amount of
yeast will help the dough to ferment a bit faster and better. Third, I have specified a water
temperature of 100 degrees F. That is another way to compensate for lower kitchen
temperatures. FYI, 100 degree water, which is what I have specified above, is water that is
slightly warm to the touch. If you have a thermometer to measure the temperature of the
water, so much the better. (Note: During warmer weather, a lower water temperature should
be used. Depending on the part of the country, it might be as low as 50 degrees F, and possibly
even lower in really hot climates.) Fourth, I used a thickness factor of 0.105, which is a measure
of crust thickness that is characteristic of a NY "street" style. This is purely a technical matter for
those who wish to control the final crust thickness. Finally, I posted gram weights also. That is
for those members who prefer to work in grams rather than ounces.

Since you are working in volumes, it is important that you measure out the flour as accurately as
you can. The way I measure out flour by volume is to start by stirring the flour in the bag of flour
to loosen up the flour a bit. I then use a standard tablespoon to scoop flour out of the bag into
my measuring cup(s). I don't shake the measuring cup or tamp it. I then level off the top of the
measuring cup using a flat edge, such as the flat back edge of a knife. I also level off measuring
spoons. When measuring out water, you should check the water level marking on the measuring
cup at eye level.

As for making the dough itself, this is the sequence of steps I recommend you use to practice the
recipe posted above: 1) Add the IDY to the flour in a bowl and stir to uniformly disperse the IDY
in the flour. 2) Put the water into the bowl of the stand mixer, add the salt, and, using a spoon
or spatula, stir for about 30 seconds to a minute to dissolve the salt in the water. 3) Using the
stir or 1 speed of the mixer, and with the dough hook attached, gradually add the flour mixture
to the water in the bowl. Once the mixer is turned on, I usually use a spatula to help direct the
flour/dough into the path of the dough hook so that the flour better incorporates the water. You
can use the spatula while the machine is running, if you are careful, or you can stop the machine
from time to time to do it. Some people use the paddle attachment for this step and later switch
to the dough hook for the more heavy duty kneading. This approach is perfectly fine and, in fact,
is my preferred method. The initial mixing/kneading step will usually take a minute or two in a
standard home stand mixer. 4) Once the flour has been hydrated (absorbed the water) and a
rough dough ball has formed, and with the dough hook attached, add the oil and knead that in,
at the 1 speed, until it has been fully incorporated into the dough. Since the amount of dough
involved is fairly small (about 3/4 lb.), don't be afraid to stop the mixer from time to time,
especially if the oil is not being fully taken up into the dough, and help the dough along by doing
some hand kneading to get everything to come together better. Stand mixers are just not that
great at kneading small amounts of dough. 5) Once the dough has incorporated the oil, continue
kneading the dough, at 1 or 2 speed, until the dough takes on a smooth texture and consistency
and is elastic. It should be a bit tacky--not wet or dry. Don't be too concerned about elapsed
times. The condition of the dough is more important than the elapsed times. At this point, and
especially because you will be working in volumes rather than weight, it may be necessary to
add a bit more flour or a bit more water to achieve the desired finished condition. When making
such adjustments, I usually add flour or water a half-teaspoon at a time.

Once the dough looks just about right, remove it from the mixer bowl and knead it by hand for
about 30 seconds to a minute. This will give you a good "feel" for the dough and allow you to
shape it a bit before it goes into the container where it will spend one or more days. If the
dough feels a little bit sticky at this point, the final hand kneading will also usually cause the
stickiness to disappear, so don't be tempted to overcome it by adding more flour. You should
lightly coat the finished dough ball with a bit of oil. The container itself can take many different
forms. It can be a normal kitchen bowl (which will have to be covered during fermentation), a
zip-type plastic storage bag, a metal container, plastic containers (e.g., Rubbermaid), glass bowls
(e.g., Pyrex), or even an empty bread bag with the end twisted and folded under. To get the
dough ball to cool down fast and remain cool, one of my favorite storage containers to do this is
a metal tin with a tight fitting lid. A zip-type container has the advantage of being compact and
requiring little storage space. Whichever form of container you elect to use, it should be placed
in the refrigerator, preferably toward the back or near the bottom away from the door. For a
Lehmann NY style dough, the time in the refrigerator can range from about 16 hours to up to
about 3 days. I have found that one to two days works out well for me.

When the time comes to make the pizza, you should remove the dough from the refrigerator
and set it on your countertop or work surface to warm up. I usually dust the dough with a bit of
bench flour and cover it with a sheet of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming at the outer
surface of the dough. In most cases, it will take about an hour or two for the dough to get to the
temperature (around 60 degrees F or higher) where it can be properly shaped and stretched. In
the winter, it can take even longer. Conversely, in the summer, it can take less time. For these
reasons, I usually take the temperature of the dough to be sure that it is at the proper
temperature to safely proceed. If the temperature is too low at the time of shaping, the crust
can develop large bubbles and blisters during baking. Some actually prefer this, but professional
pizza operators detest it. Once the dough reaches the desired temperature, it can be safely used
for 3 to 4 hours thereafter in most cases without over fermenting (a dough made with highgluten
flour will have a somewhat bigger window at this point than one made with a weaker
flour). I usually turn on the oven about an hour before I think the dough will be ready to shape
and stretch into a dough round ("skin"). I put the pizza stone on the lowest oven rack position
and let it preheat at the highest oven temperature my oven can deliver (around 500-550
degrees F), for about an hour.

To shape and stretch the dough in preparation for dressing and baking, I gently flatten the
dough using my fingers while avoiding flattening the outer edge which is to become the rim or
forcing the gases out of the dough. Once the dough round is around 10 inches in diameter, I lift
it and, draping it over my closed fists, stretch it out to its final diameter (12 inches in your case)
while "flicking" the dough round by one-quarter turns. I often turn the dough over and repeat
these steps. I try to work more toward the outer edges so that thin spots don't form near the
center. A 12-inch dough round is fairly easy to handle and to toss, so you may want to try doing
this once you gain experience and feel comfortable in handling pizza dough. It isn't absolutely
necessary to do this, even though it is believed that tossing a dough helps the shaping and
stretching of the dough. For those who would like to see a video on how to shape and stretch
dough into a dough round, a good video is the one at YouTube featuring the famous dough
impressario Tony Gemignani,

Once the dough skin has reached the proper diameter, it should be placed on a peel (I prefer a wood
peel) that has been lightly dusted with a bit of flour or semolina (rice flour can also be used). Cornmeal
can also be used as a release agent, but it can burn and be messy in the oven, and require periodic
cleanings. The pizza can then be dressed. I try to act fast at this stage so that the dough doesn't decide it
wants to stick to the peel. So I always line up everything that is to go onto the pizza in advance, from
sauce, cheeses, and all the other toppings I intend to use.

Once the pizza has been dressed and the pizza stone is up to proper temperature, it can be loaded onto
the preheated pizza stone by a simple forward jerking action that allows the dressed pizza to slide off of
the peel onto the pizza stone. The first few times you do this will have you on edge, but once you master
the maneuver, you will be in good shape thereafter (although there will always be a nagging fear that
you will not successfully manage the maneuver). The pizza will typically take about 7 minutes to bake,
although the exact time will vary from oven to oven. You will therefore have to experiment with oven
temperatures and bake times, and even different positioning of your pizza stone, to get the combination
that works best for you. In due course, you may even find it helpful to use the broiler element to better
balance the baking of the top and bottom of the pizza so that they are done baking at the same time.

Here is an 18" version (it's thin and floppy, not thin and crispy like a cracker):

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is what icmag has been needing for so long, a pizza thread :D
pizza is my fav, along w pasta and other italian food yummies (i love to fry leftover pasta in a skillet)

my fav pizza?
pesto pizza

this season i plan on growing TONS of basil to make pesto.... i feel like luigi stomping the basil over here :D

pizza party!
:party:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Fuck yeah. Pesto is awesome too. Ive eaten almost a pizza a day this last week..its so cheap to make.

Attachments

• IMG_20170316_151.jpg
    IMG_20170316_151.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 105

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
At last a little bit homemade, warm up in the oven. Frozen Pizza. Since some weeks I am at home and I can´t always eat something out of the can.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Delivery Pizza with turkish sausage called sucuk

picture.php

For years my favorite delivery Service Pizza called Pizza Poncho, with barbeque Sauce and chicken.

picture.php

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
This is a selfmade Pizza from my wife.

picture.php

picture.php

just another delivery Service Pizza, I think they look worldwide the same.

picture.php

I love olives in a Martini or on a Pizza ;-)

picture.php

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
To be honest i wanted to change the title when i saw your post...simply because pizza should not be dicriminated. Please if you can be arsed feel free to post any pizza.:tiphat:

shithawk420

Veteran
Well,there's already a few pizza threads.one devoted to recipes is a good idea.or combining all the pizza threads wouldn't be a bad idea either.I don't really care.I just like talking and looking at pizza!.

A good cheap alternative to a pizza stone is an unglazed tile from home depot.just a few bucks and works pretty good

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks illuminate.no big secret but you can make stuffed crust using mozzarella sticks.just fold the dough over at the edges.also using fresh lemon juice in sauce is a nice unexpected touch.also if you can,use san marzano tomatoes for the sauce.sorry no elaborate recipes.I always wing it unless I know I'm gonna make it in advance.and holy moly that dough recipe is elaborate.I know it's pretty much a must but I really don't wanna make dough anymore without a nice electric mixer.one of the biggest pain in the ass out all the different food I've made is dough.if anyone has any high quality store bought dough ideas I'm all ears

hyposomniac

I love crispy pastry-like crusts (chicago style) or thin crackery crusts, but don't discriminate.

Here's a tip.. Never use preshredded cheese. Most (all?) got cellulose powder in it and doesnt melt or taste right at all; once cooked its like chewing on a knob of gum that got dipped in water.
Get a small block of whole milk mozzarella and slice or shred - nice creamy melt with just a little bit of 'pull'.
Not the 'fresh" stuff packed in water, although good thats a different experience altogether for advanced users.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Now that stuff in the water is all i use or preshredded..the water cheese needs drying, but the pre grated stuff is sometimes ok. I havent got it dialed in yet just the basics, mine is really oily going by that recipe...like 10% vs 1%.

Hen

I use the standard dough recipe, but mine consists of about 25% Hiivajauho (yeast flour in English?). I also let it proof a minimum of 12 hours at room temp, so it need to be a little wetter than normal. After shaping it, I also let be for 2 hours before adding topping and putting in the oven.

As for the source, It's important to contain a little Asian fish source.

For cooking, 250C at the lower middle part of the oven. Takes about 9-10 minutes. I'll post a pic next time I make it.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I just found out that the Walmart frozen pizza I ate was on the recall list for contamination.

If you don't hear from me in 3 days?....Adios, MF'ers :D