What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Surf Fisherman here?

B

ben_710

Just wondering if there's any surf fisherman here? I've surf fished my whole life basically. I mostly fish for speckled trout and flounder. I also enjoy freshwater fishing too. :)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I used to on the east coast ,,not so much here in so cal as it sucks for the most part...I used to get big stripers and bluefish now I get tiny surf perch mostly....still fun on light gear .....there is the rare halibut and a few other ok sized species but nuthin like a striper for the most part.....yeehaw..I also did surf in florida for all kinds of diff species..florida fishing rules

corky1968

Veteran
I used to on the east coast ,,not so much here in so cal as it sucks for the most part...I used to get big stripers and bluefish now I get tiny surf perch mostly....still fun on light gear .....there is the rare halibut and a few other ok sized species but nuthin like a striper for the most part.....yeehaw..I also did surf in florida for all kinds of diff species..florida fishing rules

How big was you strippers? :laughing:

DemonTrich

Veteran
I grew up on the Gulf coast in Florida k clearwater beach, tampa, tarpon springs area. I grew up in the water as a kid. Caught my own bait, then went fishing. Caught a shark head (cut off by a fisherman I suppose) near the power plant in tarpon springs, caught a sea gull that flower into my line as I casted it out. Caught tons of various fish in my lifetime. Now I live in Michigan with polluted fresh water. Needless to say, I haven't been near the water since I moved here 16 yrs ago.

Clearwater and Tarpon Springs are awesome

i used to go there every year to visit family, but sadly as they passed on we stopped going

First flounder my brother and i caught on sea wall of beach we just looked at each other with big eyes and like what the hell is this????
im sure some of the magic is gone now that we are grown but i would love to go back there to visit to see it again

i have always wanted to try Windsurfing but am most likely too old and heavy to even try it now

gardener60

Surf Fishing

Surf Fishing

I have surf fished in Southern Cal. Oceanside and Carlsbad. Love Halibut or Flounder depending on the coast you are on. I like to fish the streams in California for trout i miss it.

gardener60

Clearwater and Tarpon Springs are awesome

i used to go there every year to visit family, but sadly as they passed on we stopped going

First flounder my brother and i caught on sea wall of beach we just looked at each other with big eyes and like what the hell is this????
im sure some of the magic is gone now that we are grown but i would love to go back there to visit to see it again

i have always wanted to try Windsurfing but am most likely too old and heavy to even try it now

The Magic never leaves That is what keeps us going. I have been half way around the world twice and i just start where i left off at.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I kill it in OC , So Cal.. Ghost Shrimp FTW.. most places never stock them.. so you have to pump your own and that in itself can at times be pretty fun.. honestly nothing compares when it comes to surf fishing out here.. ghosties are the shit

gardener60

I kill it in OC , So Cal.. Ghost Shrimp FTW.. most places never stock them.. so you have to pump your own and that in itself can at times be pretty fun.. honestly nothing compares when it comes to surf fishing out here.. ghosties are the shit

ghost shrimp are the shit. I had one of those PVC pumps and i use to pump for shrimps and go the the jetty's and crush them.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I carry a ghost shrimp pump everywhere....easy to make...them fuckers are delicate..but they are fish candy....yeehaw..they work best free lined from my kayak rather than cast on a Carolina rig from shore...last time I pumped some they were all pregnant so I used a few and then let the rest go ..but the fish seemed to like them even better...maybe the eggsack????

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
we have ghost shrimp up here too. I remember as a kid with a brand new drivers license heading out in the wee hours of the right tide, shrimp suckers in hand. Once we got our fill and the sun was just starting to rise.... jump in the car and hit the river for steelhead. Best bait for steelhead hands down.

as for surf fishing, I live too far from the ocean these days but spent the better part of my adult life , 9 weight Gloomis cross current 3 pc and an Islander IR3 , in hand, every chance I got.
Coho Salmon on the fly, on the beaches is a load of fun. I remember a trip south fishing for bones for the first time with flesh flies.... must do that some more
my biggest fish in salt water on the fly was a 36 pound Chinook salmon. Not only did I hook that fish in over 300 feet of water..... I jumped overboard into my old browning float tube and fought that fish for almost an hour. I have video and tonnes of pics but this being a weed site.... hmmm

cool thread. I havent' made it to florida yet but I would certainly like to catch some striper one day, such a cool fish.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if you go to florida you want tarpon ,bonefish and redfish too,,,,, hell theres more too like permit ...oooh the list is long but tarpon is at the top.....yeehaw...let the fish go and keep a scale for remembering...their huge and tough

gardener60

I would love to fish for Tarpon, and Bonefish. I guess once you get the ocean in your blood its always there.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
that reminds me... I need some more mosquito hooks...big/thicker hooks don't work as well for the ghost shrimp....yeehaw

armedoldhippy

Veteran
surf fishing at Hatteras for blues & red drum is a dream...if you can keep folks from New Jersey from settling in next to you & casting across your lines hoping to piss you off & get you to leave the spot you found. it happens constantly.,..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well the sand crabs have returned in decent numbers so it is time to hit the surf again...got some gulp sandworms in case I don't get any good sized ones...yeehaw

Gnz

Usually fish off the surf beaches in late summer, getting a bit colder now so moving into the harbors.

Currently in the market for a boat, wanting to lock something down in the next month or two.

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I got spooled yesterday..15 lb line..I am upgrading ..ordered new reel 10 bearings 30 lb line 240 yards.ordered new 11 ft ugly stick to go with it as the 14 ft I had was too unweildy...I will return and kick shark or ray ass...now to find my braid or order more..I have 65lb somewhere...yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts