What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bruce Banner #3

TheMan13

Veteran
Cannabis Encyclopedia strain review: Bruce Banner #3
By Ry Prichard in*Cannabis Encyclopedia,*Culture,*GrowingWednesday, November 13, 2013 at 11:20 am

brucebannersquare-thumb-205x205.jpg

Ry Prichard.
Bruce Banner #3

Lineage:*OG Kush x Strawberry Diesel

Type:*Sativa-dominant

Overview:*A strain created in Colorado which received a lot of hype right as the medical cannabis scene took off in 2009, now the Banner #3 is a prized addition to gardens around the country.

brucebanner3-1-thumb-350x244.jpg

Ry Prichard.
Bruce Banner #3

The Bruce Banner family line is comprised of an unconfirmed OG Kush cut, commonly believed to be the super-prized Ghost's OG cut, and a Strawberry Diesel (Kyle Kushman's Strawberry Cough x Sour Diesel) male from Reservoir Seeds. The initial pollination took place in late 2009, and the strain was released to the public shortly after by Delta 9 Caretakers in early 2010.

There were originally 5 phenotypes discovered, with the #2 and #4 reportedly being lost in all but the smallest circles of Colorado growers shortly after the release. The #1 phenotype is a mix of the two parent strains, the #3 is most OG Kush-dominant, and the #5 is the Strawberry Diesel-dominant phenotype.

Following the strain's debut, the cannabis review site*KindReviews.com*profiled the strain and gave it the first ever A+ rating, which seemed to spark a Banner craze. For the first couple of harvests, Delta 9 had a line out the door and was forced to organize customers into a deli-style ticket system to hold a place in line, just to buy a small amount of Banner #3 (each customer could only purchase 3.5 grams maximum). While Delta 9 had the other phenotypes in its stable, the #3 was deemed to be the most prized and commanded the highest level of attention from customers and growers alike. In the years following the BB #3 hype, that phenotype as well as the #1 and #5 began to proliferate the Colorado medical scene and became one of the staple strains on dispensary shelves along with other popular choices such as Flo, Sour Diesel, Durban Poison, and Golden Goat.

brucebanner3-2.jpg

Ry Prichard.
Bruce Banner #3.

The plant itself is gorgeous to look at when growing - late in harvest, the fan leaves tend to turn a rich dark magenta color, which contrasts wonderfully with the bright lime green bud surfaces and deep red stigmas. A generous coating of large-headed trichomes covers all surfaces, and the plant tends to have more of an OG Kush-like growth pattern, with dense, slightly rounded buds scattered across the slightly lanky plant. The top colas can chunk out a bit more than a traditional OG, but the lower buds look almost exactly like the Ghost's OG mother. Taking 8-9 weeks to fully mature, the Banner yields more than the typical OG Kush and matures is roughly the same amount of time, making it an attractive choice for growers looking for a connoisseur-level strain which doesn't skimp on the yields.

When breaking apart the buds, Banner #3 gives off a complex sweet fruity + ginger spice + fuel aroma, which takes nicely after both parents. The added dose of sweetness from the Strawberry D brightens up the OG without completely taking away the fuel-skunk qualities that OG smokers the world over commonly seek out. Flavor takes even more after the OG, providing the same soil-ginger spicy quality as the OG mother with a hint of fuel and sweetness lurking in the background.

brucebanner3-3-thumb-300x197.jpg

Ry Prichard.
Bruce Banner #3.

Bruce Banner's effects package is definitely a little on the racy side, but some anxiety-sufferers have said that it actually calms them down. In any case, it tends to grab you by the forehead/face and take you on a bit of a ride in the early stages, transitioning into a more calm (but still potent) effect as it begins to wind down. A big buildup of eye and facial pressure is common, as well as a floaty, slightly euphoric effect throughout the body.

Harvest time greatly affects the final experience, with an early harvest making the Banner especially racy, and a later harvest bringing out more of the relaxing, mood-enhancing qualities of the OG mother. Definitely Sativa-dominant, the Banner still isn't the most functional strain simply because it is so potent - it's best saved for a responsibility-free day or evening, but most veteran cannabis users can power through its effects if high-level functionality is required. A well-grown sample of Bruce Banner #3 can have effects reaching out as far as 3 hours after consumption, but the most common is the 2-hour area.

Bruce Banner is a great example of a strain which gained notoriety thanks largely to word of mouth, right as social media websites were really catching on with the MMJ community. This early media presence cemented Banner as a must-have for many Colorado operations as the scene was exploding, and then the word (and the plant) traveled to other states as the strain became more widespread. Quality parents, careful phenotype selection, and marketing savvy are what the Banner is all about - a true creation of the dispensary era, it will no doubt endure for many years thanks to all of its positive qualities.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2013/11/cannabis_encyclopedia_strain_review_bruce_banner_3.php

high-times.jpg

Anyone have experience with this lady?

mtntrogger

Veteran
the "unconfirmed OG is actually "confrimed" . Jason , who breed this strain which I have been growing happily for years, stated that the

mtntrogger

Veteran
.....OG was a colorado clone only gem called "coal creek kush" (not to be confused with th seeds, name rip off called Cold creek Kush). passed to jason (Haulk) by a longtime co grower named tim .

TheMan13

Veteran
Any flowering tips and/or tricks with her? She's been a bit temperamental on me. Kind of a canary in the coal mine as a stress indicator here. Seems to blow three finger leafs quick when stressed.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a good one. Big fan of Strawberry D.
Always wanted to try this baby. Looks great

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
one of those cuts that flooded over to the EU in such a small time....

was also one of the first "elite" us strains sold commercial in cut stores in europe

TheMan13

Veteran
I'm smoking some Bruce Banner #3 flowers finished by a friend recently under a Govita 600/750.

5664eab88a4fa_bb3ben.thumb.jpg.81606adf65d7a7ee2018cf8911703bb6.jpg

Budley Doright

Veteran
Let me tell you a little story....

You refd a thread by treetroit.....he got the cut thru me....

we both got a cut from the same source...

Treetroit admitted when the cut was in isolation it had too many short days...and began to flower.....I had no troubles like that with my cut....

Well I harvested recently and one of my patients fell in love with bb3...

I didnt smoke much myself.... she says she prefers it over GG4

My plant had a very captivating smell.... very floral.....

she said she loved the taste.....

Here is the kicker.... my plant and the buds are very distinctive.....

and really looks nothing like the bud you are holding....

If I were a betting man.....Im thinking I have banner.....

its certainly a keeper...

I currently have several in flower at about wk 5....

Budley Doright

Veteran

Your picture in post 6.... demonstrates a quite rare feature.....

the zig zag growth pattern.....

From the pics....I would say that a death star..... which does exactly that....

TheMan13

Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63799&pictureid=1533972&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63799&pictureid=1533971&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Your picture in post 6.... demonstrates a quite rare feature.....

the zig zag growth pattern.....

From the pics....I would say that a death star..... which does exactly that....

Those plants look pretty healthy, how far along are you?

No Death Star mix up here brother, I'm sure that's my Bruce Banner #3. They are clones from the plant harvested in that pic.

I believe we all likely got the Bruce Banner #3 from the same source ;-)~

DemonTrich

Veteran
im on my 2nd flower with BB#3. not really impressed at all, 1st or 2nd go around. all my patients loved it and scooped every last gram up in 2 weeks. BB3 is not the strawberry dominate pheno most were saying it was, #5 is. theres a thread over on up or mag about banner3 and whos been running her. ive yet to see a 3 fingered leaf in 2 runs on my cut. she does however produce nice nugs, and the effects are nice as well. its NOT a gg#4, chaos, or the like.

TheMan13

Veteran
im on my 2nd flower with BB#3. not really impressed at all, 1st or 2nd go around. all my patients loved it and scooped every last gram up in 2 weeks. BB3 is not the strawberry dominate pheno most were saying it was, #5 is. theres a thread over on up or mag about banner3 and whos been running her. ive yet to see a 3 fingered leaf in 2 runs on my cut. she does however produce nice nugs, and the effects are nice as well. its NOT a gg#4, chaos, or the like.

Do you have any pics from your runs?