What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone ever have a MRE?

Green Squall

What are they like? I'm not expecting a gourmet meal but they can't be that bad? I was thinking they might be useful for hiking/camping since they heat themselves..I was also curious what our military eats in the field. I ordered a single one to test out (beef stew). Looking fwd to it:biggrin:

They've come along way. The old pork chow mein was one of the worst foods I've ever consumed. The new stuff isn't so bad.

dociron

:tiphat:"MRE" in the first versions, were considered quite honestly to be "Meals REJECTED by Ethiopians"! There was so much bad press the military had to change them and make something that was edible, lol

TheMan13

Veteran
Yumm ;-)~

6CtEj2v.jpg

Meat balls & BBQ sauce wasn't bad back in my day.

Yumm ;-)~

View Image

Meat balls & BBQ sauce wasn't bad back in my day.

Yeah, that's a newer one and not too bad tasting. The old ones from my days in the corps were truly master pieces of crap. I always had extras when I came back from the field even after making the newbs take the worst of them. I'd take a new one camping any day.

TheMan13

Veteran
Yeah, the older ones were packaged in a darker brown and quite a bit less elaborate.

mre-1986-no12-groundbeef-04.jpg

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I used to have about 500$ worth of new age ones..some were decent as I ate some and gave a lot away to hikers in my previous sequoia forest days....they were reaching the end of their shelf life...I will be ordering more soon...yeehaw..those hot meal chemical bags go first as I found out on the lake ...wrapping in black plastic and setting in full sun worked ok in emergency...the new ones aint bad for what they are..the old military ones sucked and you needed some tobasco/strong seasoning to make it palatable...I like to have atleast a months worth of mre meals stashed...I would have more if I had room...always be prepared

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
The old, in the can...K rations, complete with a P38 can opener ...you could shit through a screen door! :D

...but they had toilet paper, also & a 5 pack of Kools ..(I got to go trade for Winston)

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
they were always way better than starving. what can you expect from something made to have that long a shelf life?

the best addition they ever made to the MRE was the Tabasco sauce

i'm pretty sure i ate enough of them in 6 years that they won't have too embalm me

Hank Hemp

Veteran
C-rations Pinball. I guess they didn't serve them in Cu Chi at the 25th evac. LOL. My fav was helmet liners and motherfukers, yum. It was really ham and lima beans. Open them up peel bake the top look inside and you would swear it was vomit, I shit you not. That is what gave you the shits.

shredGnar

Get mountain house freeze dried food. Then carry a jet boil or other lightweight way to boil water. Add the boiling water to the pouch, wait 8 min or so, then eat it right out of the package. They are pretty fucking tasty and super easy to prepare and the empty bag makes it simple to pack out trash. I pretty much live off these for days on end while elk hunting.

Spaghetti with meat sauce is awesome, chili, beef stew. Then breakfast stuff like biscuits and gravy and breakfast skillet. Cheddar cheese keeps for several days unrefridgerated, tortillas are great for the breakfast skillet. Pringles are a great one. Easy to pack and they aren't all crumbs after being in your backpack. You have to keep them in the tube, obviously. Add some to the beef stew and you're killing it.

I like the tortilla pringles, I'll even pack in some salsa sometimes if I'm feeling froggy.

Pastries and stuff are good too,no cooking you can eat them in your sleeping bag. Also the French press attachment for the jet boil is a live saver! !

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have indeed tried mountain house and yup its ok stuff for what it is....yeehaw....I have my p38 can opener too....theres a even better company with better prices but I cant remember the name right now...

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chicken and rice! 2nd gen MRE....#11...haven't had it since 91 but I remember that godamn number...weird..

Green Squall

I've had mountain house many times. Decent stuff with a long shelf life. This MRE is purely an experiment. Like some of you said, the new ones don't seem to be all that bad according to reviews I've read. And they seem better than other countries field rations. I watched a few youtube videos last night on Russian and Chinese field rations.....Scary, scary stuff.

Resin23

I helped someone move and hit a free case of 12 last year. They cost 7.50 a piece and have 1200 calories. Some are great like the lemon pepper tuna fish some are terrible like the chicken with noodles. They have name brand food in them like starkist, skittles, m&m's. Ingenious in design they can be dropped from 30 meters without busting, and last for 42 months at 80 degrees. They come with chewing gum, drink mix/coffee, moist towelettes/napkin, seasonings, and a Flameless Ration Heater (FRH) to heat your meal. Here is a website with every American Mre menu since the start in '81 http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/

Resin23

I read an article that had the military rations from around the world, Australia, France, and Italy all had some bad ass meals with many different components some of which were sweet condensed milk, tea, coffee, trail mix, caramels, chocolate, vegamite, duck, venison, and toothbrushes.....they made our MRE's look like shit...I would simply pack deer jerky, trail mix, and peanut butter with some vitamins and supplements in pill form....

B

ben_710

My buddy used to steal his dad's and bring them to school for lunch

LostTribe

Premium user
Do NOT settle for anything but FRENCH ARMY MRE's they are gourmet and come with Grey Poupon a must! Canned bacon is also really Nize for camping and hunting trips!