What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whats the strangest thing you have caught while fishing

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
While in a boat on a lake, I hooked my mother in the lip on the back cast. Luckily a friend in the boat immediately saw what happened and cut the line with his burning cigarette. We had to push the hook through then cut the barb to pull it back. Nobody was happy with me, but they understood that I wasn't happy with myself either and nothing needed to be said.

She was one of a kind, but I wouldn't have called my mom strange though.

Last edited:
I've hooked straight through my ear once and my arm a couple times. But the strangest would have to be a pelican when we went fishing offshore. Flew down and scooped up the bait and hook the second it hit the water.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The clap, altho I have to admit I was not actually fishing at the exact time, but that is when it happened....
I will never fish again....
-SamS

Sisu

Veteran
We were working a river once, seining to see what was there. On one pull we looked into the net and lo and behold, a motherfucking rubber dong. The polymer Richard fish.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Took a little inflatable kayak out past the surf off the Santa Barbara coast, casting a bone jig hoping to catch my dinner. This jig was real bone, made in post WWII occupied Japan. A real collector's item. I finally hooked something, reeled it in close and it turned out to be a ray snagged through the shoulder. Well I totally filled that little kayak and I'd have to carry that ray back across my legs if I wanted it. Were there sting rays in the surf off the southern California coast? I didn't know. Even if I didn't flop this ray onto my lap, at least I wanted my bone jig back. Was reaching out with a knife to cut the hook out of the ray, when it arched it's tail up above its back reaching towards me. I cut the line.

al70

Veteran
I got a piece o my friends scalp while learning to fly fish, left it on there for bait, didn't work.

Genghis Kush

Used to work on a 75' trawler saw a lot weird stuff
6' long conger eel was pretty freaky.
25'basking shark was pretty intense, thing had giant eyes

idiit

Veteran
caught a talking catfish. now, I've got a few hundred fish including a lot of catfish. being from Kansas.....

never did "the fish whisperer thang".

the catfish kept looking in my eyes and croaking. it sounded like "put me back". it kept repeating himself.

so I did. :)

While in a boat on a lake, I hooked my mother in the lip on the back cast. Luckily a friend in the boat immediately saw what happened and cut the line with his burning cigarette. We had to push the hook through then cut the barb to pull it back. Nobody was happy with me, but they understood that I wasn't happy with myself either and nothing needed to be said.

She was one of a kind, but I wouldn't have called my mom strange though.

Lovely story, I have a sudden urge to go fishing with my ex mother in law

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Last week I was out fishing for stripers and saw the shine of metal in the surf. Reached down and picked this 20mm shell out of the sand. The softer jacket material has corroded and left the steel core. Big sucker. Yeehaw. (lol). The empty .50cal shell is there for comparison. Found that a couple years ago in the same area.
I brought it home and drilled a small hole in the side and tapped out the powder. Put the powder into a pile and lit a match to it. WHoosh! Still dry after probably close to 70 years.
I sprayed some oil into the hole to deactivate the primer.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts