What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sushi

grow nerd

Veteran
Had some walu sashimi recently. Asked for fatty tuna, expecting toro, but instead got this escolar. Quite tasty. Read afterwards that eating large amounts of this stuff will give you digestive problems.

ariston

I love sushi but it's hard to get full on it without risking your health. I have even known the restaurant owners and heard from them that it's good fish, that they evey pay $30 per kg for salmon and more for tuna. You don't want it anyway. Watch a documentary on salmon farming and you'll see why. There are expensive places with very good fish but I am poor.

Best sushi I had was in Yamoto in Pattaya. Expensive for Thailand but you can get full with $25.

shithawk420

Veteran
Ahh come on Mr m.you might not have had the real deal.there's a reason people who eat sushi live longer.and it fukin rocks!!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Eating sushi or living longer??

:D

I dunno man... I like some rareish fish but raw is wrong.

We know better nowadays...

It's revered. I'll give you that.

But as to why I'll never know.

I have great respect for a chef who can cook a chateaubriand to a perfect temp.

I have some respect for a child forming playdoh into shapes.

If I ask "Where is the passion?" and somebody posing as a chef points to the rice I will lose it.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Give a try to Salmon Nigiri it is just raw salmon on rice. Dip it in the light low sodium soy sauce (green bottle) and add a small dab of wasabi to the soy sauce. You will be hooked for life! Most of the east and west coast reputable places get it super fresh never frozen. Had it hundreds and hundreds of times, and never ever had a problem other than wanting to eat more :) tuna sashimi is great also! Once you get try that try rainbow roll with fish eggs and you will be a loyal fan for life. The first time I tried it I was scared as hell, but once I ate the first piece I was hooked. Give it a try. The good sushi chefs take a great pride in their work, sit down at the sushi bar watch them make it you'll see how careful they are. The whole operation is it art. But definitely research and find the good high rated places on Yelp, not the bad ones. The good ones will make it right in front of you as you watch. Once you've had fresh raw salmon you'll never want it cooked again. :)

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Okay so I will make a compromise...

It turns out they make sushi that contains cooked shrimp.

I'm in. I'll try it and you won't tell anyone. :D

Please remember that I'm so landlocked the seafood around here cannot be trusted.

I don't care if it costs a fortune in fossil fuel it won't be worthy of high brow consumption.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Once in San Francisco I had a craving for sushi except I didn’t know of a good sushi bar. As I was walking around town I noticed a place that had Japanese coming and going…it was a sushi bar. That was the place and it was some of the best I’ve had. Unfortunately I think I dropped close to a bill but it was worth every penny.

Betterhaff

Veteran
There also was a sushi bar in Vegas that was good. The place is now a Hooters Hotel, used to be the San Remo I think, on Tropicana. A lot of Japanese tours would stay there.

shithawk420

Veteran
It takes like ten years to be an actual sushi chef.in that time they are actually training or something like that

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I know that apprentices take an entire year to learn how to cook rice.

I mean rice!?!....

Come on!!

I don't mind people being particular about what they eat, but when they are so choosy about how sticky their rice is why don't they care if they cook anything else?

Extensive wasabi blending and kimchi arrangement can be learned over the course of a decade... :rolleyes:

shithawk420

Veteran
Hehe I still remember the first time I had octopus. I was ten and my grandpa took me to this great place.he dared me to try it and of course I did.nothing special. chewy.I tried sake for the first time too.sigh memories

shithawk420

Veteran
Also sushi is one of the healthiest foods there is.seaweed is one of the reasons Asians live longer.miso soup for the win!!!!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
mean mr.mustard said:
I live in the US.

I smoke cigarettes.

I breathe smog.

I eat GMO whether or not I want to.

I inhale traffic exhaust.

We did extensive nuclear testing that polluted radioactive particles high into the atmosphere that are still circling the globe.

I do not want to live to be a hundred years old wishing I would have caught something far before then that would take me away from such a world.

I choose bacon and tobacco.

To choose my own way out in this evil world is a gift of choice.

Doughnuts are good.

Life kills.

:yeahthats

I don't know too many ancients that are really still "living".

If I thought for one minute that I would like to crap my pants and be afraid of everything, I'd rather just eat mushrooms and mark it off my bucket list within hours instead of eating seaweed and having it last decades...

:2cents:

Betterhaff

Veteran
:yeahthats

I don't know too many ancients that are really still "living".

If I thought for one minute that I would like to crap my pants and be afraid of everything, I'd rather just eat mushrooms and mark it off my bucket list within hours instead of eating seaweed and having it last decades...

:2cents:

Which ones?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
otherwise know as bait or chum.....yeehaw.. I eat it only after 2 bottles of saki and if their is lots of wasabi...for a raw product it sure costs a lot...atleast 80$ everytime the old lady made me take her,sometimes a lot more...I don't miss either...