What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sushi

floralheart

Veteran
Any sushi fans?

I was. Stopped eating sushi about this past Spring.

My favorite was a tuna roll. But upon biting into the tuna roll, and looking at it visually, it was prussian blue in color. Made me think of mercury poisoning, and I haven't eaten it since.

I already ate the entire roll before I realized it, however it was my last. Check those rolls. Sashimi should be easier to spot trouble.

Sushi?

Easy7

Veteran
I like sushi, rarely eat it however. I like bagel rolls and philli rolls. Never had much else.

STUNKY

I love some sushi.. Sometimes after deep sea fishing when we are cleaning red snapper I can't help but cut a nice slice straight of the filet.. I get yellow tail sometimes from my sister. Her and her husband are in fishing business.. Man there is nothing like having a hunk of yellowtail the size of a Boston butt and just slicing some pieces off, making poke ( not sure if that's the right name.. The only sushi I have ever ate I wasn't wild about was a whole baby octopus.. Eyes head whole octopuses wrapped with some seaweed and some rice..

supermanlives

Veteran
i will eat anything after about 3 of them hot saki things. its called bait to us rednecks and shouldn't be so expensive other than that poisonous fish that puffs up

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I started working in a restaurant in northern minnesota back in '88, I asked the head chef where the nearest sushi restaurant was, w/a deadpan look in his eyes he told me' "NY......."

aaff1360_zps9961bd79.gif

when I go back to NY I do have a favorite joint or two :)

floralheart

Veteran
The only sushi I have ever ate I wasn't wild about was a whole baby octopus.. Eyes head whole octopuses wrapped with some seaweed and some rice..

...yeah, a lady friend will eat the whole head of a fish. Not really my thing. I guess the cheeks are soft, but I hope to never find out.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I love sushi.... I hate seaweed paper...only soy paper and ponzu sauce! Lets not forget...

A huge side of Ginger....mmmmm...Bluefin..Albacore....Yellow Tail....

supermanlives

Veteran
I want a 25% discount if ya aint cooking it lol I ilke steak tar tar and ceviche but that's technically cooked in acid from the fruit. everything else meat\seafood wise gets fucking cooked. urchins and conch ,and a few shellfish are the xceptions.women have always make me eat that sushi shit.i hate it an it always cost a shitload. 3 of them ceramic things of hot saki and I am eating anyhow .I don't like tenacles that are still fucking squirming

grow nerd

Veteran
I like hamachi sashimi a lot.

Oftentimes I'll order a long roll with hamachi on the inside, hamachi on the outside, and some tobiko sprinkled on top.

Rainbow rolls are good, I usually substitute the avocado with fish instead. Rainbow hand rolls can be very good if done right.

Spicy tuna hand roll, always gotta have one.

I generally try to stay away from the cooked stuff or anything too sweet, although the BBQ'd eel might be one exception. Not a fan of things like tempura shrimp or fake crab... just bland fillers IMO.

If you're ever in Reno and like sushi, check out the sushi bar at Circus Circus. I know, I know, Circus Cirus, right? Trust me it's good (the sushi is the only reason to walk into that place.) I think you can get the all you can eat sashimi deal for somewhere in the $25 range. There are many "all you can eat" sushi options in Reno, but none of them compare to Circus Circus's quality. In particular, ElDorado's kinda sucked the last time I tried it. I'd highly recommend Oceano at the Peppermill as well. They almost always have fresh oysters (try the smallest varieties) as well as a full menu of all types of other seafood and other non-seafood. I don't really recommend the "all you can eat" here primarily as the chefs are forced to use fake crabmeat salad in most rolls, which I hate. And they are also limited to the types of fish available.

Last edited:

grazerd

I know it's not quite the same thing, or whatever, but there is some really tasty veg sushi out there...

One place I was super-skeptical about that turned out to be pretty amazing was Miya's in New Haven CT. They do pretty conceptual "weird" sushi that you have to have an open mind to get into, but with the level of effort and thought they put into it - it was actually really awesome.

shithawk420

Veteran
This is actually a very big thing.more people are eating more sushi than ever in history.if we don't figure something out,fish other than farm raised will be extinct.tuna in perticular.great documentary on TV.sorry I can't remember the name.but in 100 years tuna will be hard as hell to find if we don't figure something out.I'm talking sashimi grade,not canned tuna.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Sushi....ugh....

I have eaten 2 pieces in my life...

1. I was drunk and didn't keep it down....

2. I made a bet that I could eat it...without gagging. FYI winning the bet was worth swishing a bit of ambasol in my mouth a few minutes earlier to kill my taste buds COMPLETELY.

My wife on the other hand LOVES the stuff....and now my 5yr old son also likes it.

So I grab a burger when I bring home Sushi for them to enjoy...

Snype

Veteran
Sushi is one of my favorite foods! I eat it all Nigiri style. No rolls. My favorites are:

Ikura - Salmon Roe

Saba - Mackerel

Tako - Octopus

Sake - Salmon

Toro - Fatty Tuna (Belly)

Unagi - Eel

I only eat wild caught sushi. No farm raised. If I can't find any sushi, I'll buy a full fresh fish and eat parts of it raw. Much cheaper this way.

blastfrompast

Veteran
The one thing my wife won't eat in her sushi....Soft shelled crab...she had a bad one on her 2nd try and it turned her off them.

She loves the ceveche from the place I get her sushi from....except they leave it un-mixed as I have an hour commute to get home.