What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Women's spaces and Trans inclusion

ness

Ello, ello. :wave:

Because this is a women's space, though not exclusively, I thought it may be an appropriate place to get some casual opinions on this subject.

My school has a women's centre and like many more progressive centres of this kind it is in the process of developing a trans-inclusive policy and atmosphere. This is of particular interest to me because I am dating a trans-girl and I find it a little ridiculous that I am accepted by such groups whereas she is not. I'm a tomboy and the majority of my close, long-term friends are men - she deals with women's issues at least as much as I do.

So what does everyone think about trans-inclusion policies in gender-specific organizations? Do you think we're ready to stop segregating in this way or are stereotypes and transphobia still so prevalent that this is an unlikely step?

G

Welcome to ICMag....Interesting question...to which I ask another before being able to comment.

By trans are you referring to transexuals or transvestites?

Last edited:

ness

well...

well...

I'm referring to transgendered people in general... it's a blanket term, inclusive of various other definitions.

But really, I guess I am refering to "transexuals". I mean biologically physical males or females that identify as the opposite gender than society typically deems appropriate to their sex.

To clarify, yes, sex & gender are 2 distinct terms; they are not interchangeable. For instance, I am a woman and I am a female. Some women are male. Some females are men. Etc, etc.

But I also refer to the intersexed community (commonly called "hermaphrodites," often with derogatory connotations) which may not easily fit into either sex or gender as is conventionally defined.

I don't deny this can appear as a complicated issue and typically will put many people outside their comfort zones and push their traditional thinking patterns because it challenges what most of us take for granted.

~ness

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I believe people are people.

" Love one another as I have loved you."

I am sure you won't find this attitude everywhere though. Stand true to yourself and what you and your girlfriend believe in. Obviously you know you will find opposition everywhere you go.

Good Luck

ness

Thanks, POMH.

It's not the outright oppression that is tough, but the humour people find in the issue. There are a few areas where political correctedness has not been found and that are still open to all sorts of jokes. You can't joke about many minorites, be they women, african americans, the gay community, francophones unless you are one these days. But the trans community is fair game.

I understand the confusion that people have over these issues as they are not prominent in our culture and blatantly defy social norms but it gets tiresome having your girlfriend be the punchline to everyone's jokes.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Things related to sex and anything out of the "norm" sexually makes people nervous, and they tend to joke because they are out of their comfort zone.
But, it is also rude and thoughtless to continue that behavior, and to single out a person like that. Just inconsiderate, they weren't raised right.

G

My uncle is Gay and tho whole area gives me the creepes :|

Im sorry i cant be much help on this area.
Hes a great person, as good as anybody else, but i just dont like it.

But i dont have anything agenst girls likeing other girls (or ones that identify with males better or w/e (if im understanding this right)

on th eother hand i dont think its right for the trans stuff to be "fair game"
or for minorities to be the only ones to be able to joke about such things.

bring carlos mencia to mind.... pathetic. I dont hate anyone for what they believe, i just let what is be what it is. I havent met knowingly anyone trans anything, i dont have to deal with it. I just leave it at that and live my life.

Well Wishes to those having to deal with these issues :D

ness

Almost there Nepthaze... in fact the girlfriend has the biologically "boy" bits, but considers herself of the female gender. Not that it's a decision she's made, it's just a fact.

POMH,
Have I mentioned that I love your signature? I really do. I'm the local octopus... "locator". Apparently I have a gift for finding octos. Their habitat is a very peaceful place to be, expecially when everything is literally or figuratively stormy above the surface of the sea.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Thanks ness, I love the Beatles and I have recently found myself a peaceful place beneath my storm.
I am resting........................

Sending good vibes your way. :yummy:

G

Is it safe to assume that the real issue with the transvestite thing, is not so much the "male dressed as a female" or any combination there of, as it is the "not being born that specific gender, so they will truly never understand our______" when it comes to gender specific groups. Sorry for the blank, I um drew a blank.

I guess that's where the trans inclusion policies come in.

It's nice to know that there are more and more people who believe the gift is more important than the paper it's wrapped in, so to speak.

Last edited:

tokemon

i also think, as pomh said: whatever u`ll do... u`ll find opposition...

weither u are a girl with male attitudes or a boy with girlattitudes, or u are completely normal (u gone be too boring!)..

never mind... they'll find something anyway.

in general i don`t like the thaught of genderspecific ..whatever. ;)

i never really felt comfortable with girls (iam one myself ;) ). but i'm lucky.. i never had to... there were always boys around. i also never had to worry bout the sexual thing.. cause i do not only feel more comfortable with em... i really love/d some of those boys *gladimagirl. :redface:

i also recognized, that it's harder to be accepted for boys with female attitudes, than for girls with male attitudes. maybe... girls act better. :smoke:

further i think: no one has the right to judge anybodys sexuality, as long as u don`t get involved. :kissass: :Bolt: :dance:

wikidcalibudgrl

ness i really think they should include a trans-inclusive policy for their Organized group. I think if Anyone wants to join a group, in a peaceful way, to grow and or learn with the rest that are there, then they should be allowed to. Good luck to you hun,, hope it happens soon & without any unessesary hardships to anyone.. life is hard enough