What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

P

PermaBuzz

You hit the jackpot !! I dream about pics like that

I'm still waiting n watching for a king bolete flush. So far nuthin and there is a good chance it wont happen here this year. We need more rain. I have found some hen of the woods, chants, sulfer shelf and hedgehogs but nothing compares to the mighty King Bolete. I'd give up smoking for a week if to come across a find like your pic.

Long live the King

C

Cep

You must be in cali if you're not getting rain yet? Do you get them under shore pines or some other host tree?

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
WHAT a haul ......! Thanks for keeping the thread jumpin! I miss CA right now ! But, the morels will coincide with the coming fall rains. California first, then it will come this way, producing morels galore. Been pulling shaggy m a n e s lately. A beautiful specimen. Don't drink too much alcohol after consuming "inky caps," such as these. Can be a bad reaction.

Cheers y all

C

Cep

You get morels this late in the season? I might have to make a road trip if thats he case. Black morels are also said to cause a reaction in some people if consumed with alcohol. I'm gonna go check some matsutake spots tomorrow, can't wait!

stasis

Veteran
Don't trust me, I am new to this, the "third coast." Just caught the end of a meager spring for morels, when I moved here. Local yearly mushroom fest was called off in late May, due to snow. And a lack of morels.. !

C

Cep

Lived in MN as a kid. Totally different ball game for morels out there. Dead elms are the ticket. My relatives did well a few weeks after the snow finally melted. If you go far enough north you can find chants under spruce, boletus too but they are less common.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks for the awesome thread you started Stasis.

Wonderful job on the bolete photos Cep. Quite the haul.

A+ thread. Great time of year for gathering photos. they are literally everywhere.

P

PermaBuzz

You must be in cali if you're not getting rain yet? Do you get them under shore pines or some other host tree?

No Cali here. I think I'm pretty close to Stasis. My double secret porcini location is even closer. Its the kind of place that you can fill up the trunk of the car with kings. Its been a dry sept-oct here. We havent even had a frost yet. There is still hope for Kings though. It could happen in around 10 days to 2 weeks. I checking for reports and weather forecasts daily. Great thread

C

Cep

They will come. Last year we didn't start getting rain until Oct 12th and the season was way late. All my spots have competition now, but luckily they are half blind, old eastern european dudes!

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Great picks guys! This season in my region we are having lots of rain as well so mushrooms are flourishing! Bad thing is that you need to drive hours to find good spots to pick them. We don't have many chestnut and oat well maintained forests here, some of my favourite spots to pick up Boletus.

Gotta pick my basket and knife this week, watching the pictures made me jealous! ;)

stasis

Veteran
J e e s h , walking in the woods. A bowl in my one hand, and the mesh bags on the other. No one talking in my ear, beauty all around. The bonus of course, these tasty, immune system boosters, amongst other qualities.. what's not to love... ?! Thanks You Guys... !

I was at an inlaws house a few months ago and they had prolific chanterelles and let me have at them, and I've been really interested in mycology ever since.. I plan on going back for more and then into the woods any advice for someone in the PNW new to this? Other than yummy golden chanterelles to look for I mean.

And also if possible, how to encourage growth? There's a dark spot with not much but pine trees growing behind my garage and there's a TON of mushrooms, big red and white ones and mushy looking yellow ones I'm assuming aren't any good but it tells me I have an environment fungi like. Could I harvest spores at a rare moment or dig up a large chunk of land deep and wide to try to preserve a colony or are these dumb hypotheticals?

supermanlives

Veteran
great thread. I have only one time collected mushrooms . when I was in Montana I got a shitload of morels and ate em by a stream. garlic and butter and a fresh caught trout tooo.i wonder if there is any opportunities in my area here next to sequoia? got to look into it. what I miss is fresh fiddleheads. mmmmmmmm

stasis

Veteran
Hey, Supes...! Hope Yr Good..!!

I keep flashing on the NorCal Mushie hiking and hunting of last year, in the Em Tri. The yummy Hedgehogs... Cancer-Fighting Jelly Fungi, Sweet Candy Caps...

But, even so, it is Great to be here in da Mitten, for me at least. Unforch, I missed the Local Fall morel season, due to working more than FT at a Hydroshop. Now, we are experiencing the first snow of the year, so perhaps the season's almost over for Mushrooms.

All for the Future, all for the Future. Putting up with the Metro D Clusterfuck for now

Next Year, or even this fall, I hope to move and be living amongst the "Morels." haha..

It's 420pm, Y'all. Happy One..!

P

PermaBuzz

You can still pick some mouse ears even up till thanksgiving in MI. they like white pine plantations best. its not a choice edible but def. an edible.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The past week I went with a good friend to do some mushroom hunting in some pine forests around his village. We lelf early in the morning and when we arrived to the forest, it was foggy and cold as shit! But it's nice to breath some fresh pure air up there!

We ended with a nice basket of Lactarius Deliciosus. At the start we've found some Lepista Nuda as well. Love those lavender colors and the floral smell!

IMG_0675.jpg

After a few hours walking and picking, the job was done, ready for a nice dinner session, roasted chestnuts and some weed too! Gotta love the autumn! :)

IMG_0683.jpg

Vibes.

C

Cep

Just started picking lactarius this year. Surprisingly strong flavored mushroom. Nice basket.

stasis

Veteran
BEAUTIFUL BLUE NUDAS...! I like the small Lactarius Mushrooms. They are stronger tasting and smelling. I think there are two varieties, if I remember correctly. Sure do miss the hunting and hiking.. oh well, do it for Me Folks..! I'll catch up w/Ya next Year...!

Pretty sure I can never afford to live there again. Not if I want to own and pay for a piece of Land... Think I'll shoot for a month in NorCal next fall, for the Soul. And to make hash...haha.

stasis

Veteran
You Guys must be stoked..! SO busy hunting down Hedgies...! How were things this fall in NorCal..?

Cep, gotta love those Lactarius Fragilis (Candy Caps..) especially the small ones.. Like a STRONG French toast and syrup hit, emanating from the frying pan, filling the house with the smell for days. I STILL, 1 year later have empty jars that smell like last year's finds..!

C

Cep

I'm in the midwest visiting my family and freezing my ass off… Probably won't get to check my hedgehog spots this year. I have found a few of them as late as march though. How long does the hedgehog season last for everyone else?