What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help getting over my fear of mountain lions?

Wendull C.

Veteran
I started hunting near Maxwell, lots of deer Round everywhere my great uncle took me. Now he complains all the deer are gone and he is losing calves and kids.
That photo explains why.
Controlled hunting of lions is needed in California to keep their numbers in check.
Now with the new no hound hunting for bears which will reduce bear harvest by at least half, deer in most parts of California will be reduced to lawn ornaments.
Thanks Prop. For the response.

Spent twelve years cutting trail at Point Reyes National Seashore , saw one mountain lion eating the hind quarter of a deer from about one hundred yards away . Walked right by one last year , at least that is what the panicked ladies ahead of me told a ranger .stay cool , they have lots of deer to eat .

And yes they will track you , they howl like a really scared baby , scared me once but I make noise and stand tall also turn around often , just remember the odds are slim to naught that you will be attacked .

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if there wasn't mountain lions ,beers ,moose, elk .you know animals that could fuck you up wilderness hiking wouldn't be any fun at all....I hope to see lots of em this year...even looking into remote predator calls...turn on screaming bunny and wait lol.......I have no fear but a lot of respect.......yeehaw

spring fed

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

bright ideas

Juvenile toms are the main risk. They weigh 80-130 lbs or so, can jump like nobody's business, they are silent, and opportunistic. That's the bad news. There was a guy who got attacked from behind in northern WA state, and he killed it with a folding pocket knife. They are not invincible. I would carry a combat knife, and draw it from the sheath through a thong, so you don't use it. I would put mu money on the human if he or she had one of these. Lastly, a lion can only be in one place at a time, and their territory is typically 25-50 sq mi. You are a needle in a haystack of deliciousness for them. Bears are your real problem, lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I carry a knife on my shoulder strap and one on my hip along with some potent spray....never had any issues with bears really..but some of my friends have..i hike with backpack usually and it covers my neck from behind..so long as ya got a knife you can draw quick when you get knocked down from behind you should be able to survive it...use you arm to block while you go all stabby.. you can easily stop blood flow from your arm later on....yeehaw..... all I want to know is do I get to keep the hide afterwards lol.. the teeth and claws would make a nice necklace...dying from an animal attack would be a lot better than killed in the streets from some jerkoff as far as I am concerned

Runt

Bad things happen very seldom, after years of wondering the only predators I´v seen are coyote and bobcat -great animals.

Don´t think, just enjoy nature and the rest will work itself out.

redlaser

Veteran
Great pics Prop, haven't seen that many in one photo before. Over in Whitehorn last September a guy was letting his dairy goats out when one got attacked. The one that got attacked was more like a pet so he was sitting next to it, actually leaning against it when the lion attacked. They had several hundred yards to cover to escape the lion and the goat had several punctures/bites but survived. The guy was uninjured and had a chair and a stick to battle with at various points but was mostly just screaming and lucky. At one point the lion and goat were in a brush pile and the guy got the lion to retreat further into the brush by jabbing at it with a stick. LOCO has the story

MIMedHead

1911 in .45 might make you feel a little safer good luck I love being outdoors but no Lions around my neck of the woods

Runt

All runts aren´t small, a lion runt is big compared to a runt squirrel :)

On the gun note: Lever action .44 Mags were once popular with some backpackers, a handy small rifle but you really need to learn to use it well before relying on it as protection. I wonder if one of those horns that work with compressed air would be of use? They make a hell of a racket.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Cougars are scared of most shit unless they are young and hungry!! You should be far more afraid of GMO,Chem Trails,and Fukushima and greedy men that rule .. These are the real fears not a lion that may or may not attack imvho Headband 707

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I am gonna get a rabbit fur and strap it to my backpack lol.......no guts no glory.....oooh please your chances of attack are so slim... your more likely to die in traffic accident on way to hiking .......yeehaw....if you survive the mountain lions initial attack your chances of survival are real high unless your a pussy......I take full back pack even for day hikes just unloaded except for mess kit at top area and small day hike shit....have a chest or otherwise quick release knife,,,,peppersprays don't hurt to have either.......your more likely to run into a victorias secret model hiking than get attacked by lion anywhooo

Wendull C.

Veteran
That's the truth. I have come across 3 modeling shoots and 1 music vid.. shoot and have still only seen 3 lions in 20 years of hunting high country mule deer.

Ickis

Veteran
I can lick my weight in wildcats.

299 lbs so that is 2 cats probably. Maybe 1 adult and a young one.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

we had a couple (Ron & Nancy) that had a pet mountain lion, occasionally it would either get loose from its cage or they let it go hunting on its own, it was loose too often though. One day a neighbor called & told Nancy that "Ron should get down to my place and get Bonnie, she's in my back yard."

Nancy looked through her window and saw Bonnie sitting in her cage while still on the phone, "Don't go outside Betsy, that ain't Bonnie!"

Another time Rod was feeding Bonnie while she was in heat, over his shoulder from the woods behind him he could hear another puma calling to her, he got inside pronto. Eventually Bonnie was put down due to age in '92.

just a few years ago one was killed by a car in Bemidji nearby me. young males will travel thousands of miles looking for mates and unclaimed turf to hunt on.......