What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

stolen child...

guineapig

Veteran
Stolen Child
Use of marijuana by a mother leads DHR to take newborn

Last Update: 12/8/2005 7:27:26 PM

(Mobile, Alabama) December 08 – Imagine giving birth to a new baby and then being told you can’t take it home. Charyta Williams says she knows the feeling. “I just lost everything and now they’re taking away my kids.”

Williams, a New Orleans native currently displaced by Hurricane Katrina, says that scenario became real life after she delivered at USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital in Mobile. A urine sample taken at the hospital revealed a small trace of marijuana in the mother’s system. She admits to using the drug for the first time as a way to keep cool during the storm, after learning her best friend drowned while trying to escape an attic. “I was on the phone with her and she couldn’t get out of her attic. You could hear her beating on the ceiling. She was only four feet eleven,” Williams said.

In addition to not allowing the baby to go home, Williams says the Mobile County Department of Human Resources also took away her 2-year-old daughter. Williams says besides using marijuana for the first time during the storm, her record is squeaky clean. “I’ve never had a parking ticket, traffic ticket, nothing,” said Williams.

When asked about their drug testing policy, a spokesman for USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital said, "Federal law prevents us from discussing an individual patient's care." The Department of Human Resources faxed a statement to NBC 15 News citing several factors it considers before removing a child from parental custody.

In the meantime, Charyta Williams is left to stare at an empty crib. She says the television in her 2-year-old daughter’s room will remain tuned to Nickelodeon until the child finally returns home.

Last edited:
G

im sorry i cant be empathetic but the only thing that comes to my mind is "What the fuck, did Rosie O'donnel pick this one out and bribe these fuckers?"

S

stretchpuppy

Such a shame... As long as she wasn't pregnant and smoking, or smoking around the kids, all common sense things, I think this is pretty unfair.

She told the truth and was penalized for it big time. I'm willing to bet if she had lied, said it's was 2nd hand, "I was at a party and other people were smoking, I may have inhaled 2nd hand...", she would have gotten away with this. I've seen the excuse used many times by people in my life with no penalty.

Since her record is so clean, I'm sure they won't hold her children long. THat does not justify the situation but maybe adds slight light to the end of th tunnel.

guineapig

Veteran
i think it is important for women to realize the implications of a positive test for Cannabis when visiting the doctor during pregnancy.....that is kinda why i posted this in the "Women's forum".....

If the woman had been drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes, do you think they would have taken away her child? But if she inhales a bit of THC the authorities can immediately take the child from her which is the equivalent of "Stealing Children" in my opinion......just another insane situation caused by the American Cannabis Inquisition..

gp

Absolutely terrible, holy shit, you know this isn't happening to a wealthy women who could afford ample legal representation and cause headaches for those involved.

^profanity can be useful. I think women shouldn't smoke period while pregnant, obviously they shouldn't lose their kid for it. I know a guy who took the kids from his ex by basically, camping out near her house and secretly taking flix of her smoking weed.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
guineapig said:
Stolen Child
Use of marijuana by a mother leads DHR to take newborn

Last Update: 12/8/2005 7:27:26 PM

(Mobile, Alabama) December 08 – Imagine giving birth to a new baby and then being told you can’t take it home. Charyta Williams says she knows the feeling. “I just lost everything and now they’re taking away my kids.”

Williams, a New Orleans native currently displaced by Hurricane Katrina, says that scenario became real life after she delivered at USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital in Mobile. A urine sample taken at the hospital revealed a small trace of marijuana in the mother’s system. She admits to using the drug for the first time as a way to keep cool during the storm, after learning her best friend drowned while trying to escape an attic. “I was on the phone with her and she couldn’t get out of her attic. You could hear her beating on the ceiling. She was only four feet eleven,” Williams said.

In addition to not allowing the baby to go home, Williams says the Mobile County Department of Human Resources also took away her 2-year-old daughter. Williams says besides using marijuana for the first time during the storm, her record is squeaky clean. “I’ve never had a parking ticket, traffic ticket, nothing,” said Williams.

When asked about their drug testing policy, a spokesman for USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital said, "Federal law prevents us from discussing an individual patient's care." The Department of Human Resources faxed a statement to NBC 15 News citing several factors it considers before removing a child from parental custody.

In the meantime, Charyta Williams is left to stare at an empty crib. She says the television in her 2-year-old daughter’s room will remain tuned to Nickelodeon until the child finally returns home.

Reading things like this makes me want to kill people........and I have no problems with profanity, so I will rant a wee bit now......

These evil Nazi control-freak pigfucking arselicking fuckjobs at the hospital AND the pricks who wrote the laws allowing this heinousness should be nail-gunned to a dirty, puke covered floor and repeatedly gang-raped with frozen vegetables until dead.....while on scopolamine, LSD and crank.

I cannot understand how the American people can just sit back and let their govt strip them of their rights and freedoms (btw, the Patriot Act was renewed yesterday...) without doing ANYTHING about it.....

Is that not what all those guns and gun laws are for.....to fight the evil govt if they start getting too out of line and powerful?

Got news fer ya folks...it IS that bad....but as long as the general populace is kept dumb and mindless with all the crap they are fed by the media etc, those guns will be used for everything but what the founding fathers of the contry intended them to be there for.............REVOLUTION, if needed.

And it is needed......

Last edited:

FormerOGer

I don't even know what to say. Disgust just fills my brain.

Ignorance combined w/ power is a fucking lethal combination friends...

i just realized.. how sad it is when you give birth to a child.. and with all the bs going around in the world.. the second you stare into its face.. you already know its not going to truly be yours ..

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Makavellian said:
i just realized.. how sad it is when you give birth to a child.. and with all the bs going around in the world.. the second you stare into its face.. you already know its not going to truly be yours ..
Ain't that the fuckin' truth. Can't even spank a kid anymore without the government sticking their noses where they don't belong. Sick as fuck what this country's turning into.

bbing

I managed and directed several programs that provided residential tx for women who had given birth to pos tox babies (they babies actually live on site with moms). Never had seen any of the them removed because of a cannibinoid screen. 99% were meth positive and a few were for cocain or herion. After completing treatment, CPS cases were dismissed.

If concern for the wellfare of the child is truly what guided their decision, and assuming there are not other significantly agreedious factors involved; they really missed the bus.

In my clinical opinion, there is no comparison of the devastation both physiologically and emotionally between meth and cannabis.

I would be curious to see court records as they are not protected by patient confidentiality requirements, also; it is the court that makes the decision to remove or not, not the reporting medical agency.