What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ZOOKEEPER CRINGES AT.....

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
I prefer to mix the truth with a childs imagination. When they ask where Santa is when hes not around for christmas I tell them hes hiding from death and taxes.

I do think its kind of funny to quantify projecting complex adult thoughts and relationships into the mind of a child where they are fairly incapable of understanding the complexity of it.

I suppose there would be alot of problems if kids learned everything they knew from their own parents, fortunately for many they have other external influences.

G

Verite said:
I prefer to mix the truth with a childs imagination. When they ask where Santa is when hes not around for christmas I tell them hes hiding from death and taxes.

I do think its kind of funny to quantify projecting complex adult thoughts and relationships into the mind of a child where they are fairly incapable of understanding the complexity of it.

I suppose there would be alot of problems if kids learned everything they knew from their own parents, fortunately for many they have other external influences.

I think you underestimate the abilities of childrens' minds... The issue at hand imho is dumbass parents passing their own ignorance to the next generation... I will fully indulge my childs imagination... and I will never respond to a legitimate question with bullshit... My child had enough sense early on to realize there was no santa... when he Asked we questioned him enough to see that he knew, made sure he really wanted the truth, and then told him... We still Play santa, but he knows fully well that it is play and fully enjoys playing it... When he was told the truth, he felt empowered and vindicated, because he had already figured it out... He was 5... and he was told not to tell other kids...
BTW when he asked about my backroom garden I was honest about that too... I trust my son and he trust his parents... He knows that no matter what we will not bullshit him, and he knows how to keep the secret too, because he knows how important it is...
How can it be the wrong thing to encourage our childrens ability to 'figure it out'? How can it be the wrong thing to deal with our kids with honesty? Imagination is to be encouraged, Without a doubt! But is bullshit to be encouraged as well? How about misinformation? My son has a very active imagination... He uses it to solve problems, figure things out, play games, write stories, build with his lego blocks, and alot of other constructive activities... He does not waste it believing in bullshit...

Verite

Veteran
Wow, so when you asked the five year old how he felt he responded with empowered and vindicated? Seems I wasted alot of time on such basic thoughts and emotions like happy and sad at that age.

G

....:biglaugh: boy, that's one of the cool things about being a parent too... We get to screw them up any way we want!...lol...
Just like all of our parents did to us.... :wink:

:rasta:

I am sad that you wasted time Verite, perhaps you can start over now..and....
..be more HaPPy! :smile:

G

Verite said:
Wow, so when you asked the five year old how he felt he responded with empowered and vindicated? Seems I wasted alot of time on such basic thoughts and emotions like happy and sad at that age.

No, Smartie pants, I was not quoting him... it was actually more to the effect of 'aha! I knew it' and 'why do other kid's parents lie to them?'... When we assume our children dumbasses, we do them a grave disservice... Garbage In, Garbage Out...

G

I still say it's age dependant!!!My 5 year old daughter knew a Santa Claus,Easter Bunny,the whole nine yards.My NOW 10 year old daughter,Knows all those things and realizes they are fantasy.I think a world where 5 yr old kids are told Santas a sham made by the toy makers to make more money would be quit bland.It's not garbage in,garbage out...it's love and nurturing in,healthy happy adult out!I dont see the need to rob kids of there naivity so soon,fact thats what I thinks wrong with the world,buncha 6 yr old 30 yr old midgets runnin around.But thats just me,LOL,I'm just like my parents,by know everyone knows were IBL's!!!

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
This is a funny thread to read through...ive been in stitches half of the time lol....
Oh incidentally......father Christmas is a legitimate old tradition.....but the modern image in red and white was coca colas doing.... he was never red and white until coca cola used him for advertising...
...Well at least i know what that dog with a second head in the middle of its back was up to now , like the zebra dance hahaha

G

That's funny Red, Your daughter is the same age as my son... Better watch out, I tell him the truth about everything, :biglaugh:...

And He was told nothing of any shams... He was told Santa is a fun game we play around christmas time...

Last edited:

newbgrow

There's a good quote: Treat your child like the man he's capable of becoming. I forgot who said it, but I think he hit bullseye. One thing I learned to mistrust adults at an early age: they tend to preach and not practice. My parents always told me never to lie, but they do it all the time. I have since adopted a "no bullshit" philosophy. I don't understand why people encourage lying and distrust so much in our society. It reflects in people's social patterns these days when you're EXPECTED to lie about certain things. Honesty and patience is no virtue anymore and has absolutely NO benefits.

But I'm only 20, mind you. What do I know?

Verite

Veteran
newbgrow said:
... I have since adopted a "no bullshit" philosophy...

Your Five Year Old: Daddy, whats that rhino doing to that other rhino?

You: Well Billy looks like hes just warming up by stretching out her asshole since he hasnt realized hes not in her vagina yet.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
resinryder said:
When my kids were 4 and 5. a day trip to the zoo sounded like fun. As we got to the cages behind glass that contained some type of monkeys, the male monkey began licking a female monkeys genitals. My 4 yearold daughter, in a crowd of people including the zookeeper, asked loud enough to be heard by all standing there, Daddy, what's that other monkey doing to that one? As I felt that sinking embarrasing red heated feeling engulfing my body and noticed everyone else there was waiting and smiling to see what my answer was, I calmly stated he was eating fleas and grooming her. Grabbed both their hands and proceeded to the next cage. Wish that damn zookeeper had spoken up that day.

BWAHAHAHHAH!!!

Now that's some funny stuff......

Grat3fulH3ad said:
I think you underestimate the abilities of childrens' minds... The issue at hand imho is dumbass parents passing their own ignorance to the next generation... I will fully indulge my childs imagination... and I will never respond to a legitimate question with bullshit... My child had enough sense early on to realize there was no santa... when he Asked we questioned him enough to see that he knew, made sure he really wanted the truth, and then told him... We still Play santa, but he knows fully well that it is play and fully enjoys playing it... When he was told the truth, he felt empowered and vindicated, because he had already figured it out... He was 5... and he was told not to tell other kids...
BTW when he asked about my backroom garden I was honest about that too... I trust my son and he trust his parents... He knows that no matter what we will not bullshit him, and he knows how to keep the secret too, because he knows how important it is...
How can it be the wrong thing to encourage our childrens ability to 'figure it out'? How can it be the wrong thing to deal with our kids with honesty? Imagination is to be encouraged, Without a doubt! But is bullshit to be encouraged as well? How about misinformation? My son has a very active imagination... He uses it to solve problems, figure things out, play games, write stories, build with his lego blocks, and alot of other constructive activities... He does not waste it believing in bullshit...

And that is some very wise and straight up stuff.....

My youngest is 4, and she knows where babies come from....she asked, we told her, period.
We do not make up bullshit, we explain in very plain, straight language, just like we did for both the others.
I truely believe that underestimating your child is the greatest dis-service you can do as a child......adults just do not remember what it is like to have a brain that learns that fast and easy....
If you love yer kids, provide them with WAY more than YOU think they can 'handle' or understand...they will find their level.....my 9 yr old son was watching adult nature documentaries when he was 3.......he now knows more than your averge highschool grad when it comes to the animal world.

Last edited:
G

Hey!:smile: Thanks genkisan, how very kind of you.... We are just some of those weird type people that are sticklers for the truth..:ying: .... you must be too:D....
.....and yea, that was too funny 'bout them monkeys.... :biglaugh: